T's winter online sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for information:

If you are considering asking family/ friends to give you online gift certificates/vouchers for Christmas to enjoy these online sales, as I am, not all of these Suppliers have the required software to enable you to use multiple voucher for a single online purchase order.

Th**nes confirmed today that they do accept multiple vouchers however our friends P**nes don't. Only one voucher per order which seems a bit daft when you get a £10 voucher and then end up spending half of that just on delivery costs, unless of course you take the order to the limit required to get free delivery. Kinda scuppered my plans to get all and sundry to give me these online gift vouchers and combine for a single purchase of poly nucs. P**nes have said they may look into it but only in the new year. So if I get 7 vouchers I need to make 7 separate purchases. Crazy to say the least.

Maybe should try MM for poly but do they do 14 x 12 nucs?

Last edited:
Mine arrived 2 minutes ago.
Had a lovely time going through it seeing what I had. Felt like xmas!

mine all here also, two large boxes of cedar bits :)

apparently mine has been taken in today by a neighbour....150 miles from specified delivery address!!!!

Thanks Th*rnes.

Luckily don't need anything in the boxes 'til after xmas but likewise won't get to check over the contents for a week or more.

I haven't yet had notification that my card has been charged.
Am I wrong to expect that?

No such message has me thinking that my Monday morning order hasn't been dispatched yet ...

apparently mine has been taken in today by a neighbour....150 miles from specified delivery address!!!!

Thanks Th*rnes.

Luckily don't need anything in the boxes 'til after xmas but likewise won't get to check over the contents for a week or more.

how many trips in the Smart car will that take to collect!!!

not got mine yet:( but i do hate waiting for things Chris

Last edited:
Just think about it.

If Th8rne can process x orders per day.....

First x orders on Monday morning may arrive by, say Wednesday.

Next x orders by Thursday.

If, for instance, they get 10x orders on the Monday, they will not process any of Tuesdays orders until week on Friday.... so arrive Monday, possibly Tuesday the following week. All assuming they don't have a 'run' on a particular item and have to tool up to make some more. That may remove some from the packing and despatch line....and so things start to back up. Be patient.

They will be working hard to reduce the obvious backlog. Your's is not the only order they have to deal with!

"how many trips in the Smart car will that take to collect!!"

none - intended final destination of most of the stuff is in fact only 2 doors down.

However, even if smart needed it would in fact only fill the front seat and footwell i think.

I'll try again ...

Should I expect notification from Th0rnes either that my card has been charged (just before dispatch) or that my order has been dispatched?
I know they aren't Amazon, but do they communicate?

order just turned up in greenhouse

I'll try again ...

Should I expect notification from Th0rnes either that my card has been charged (just before dispatch) or that my order has been dispatched?

I got no notification to say either a) my card was going to be debited or b) the goods had been dispatched - hope that helps

I'll try again ...

no notification , they just arrive but if you phone up she may be able to tell you approx dispatch date,

Last edited by a moderator:
order just turned up in greenhouse

Mine have always been delivered in a lorry!

Should I expect notification from Th0rnes either that my card

Not normally and not always if you ask them to!

The largest mail order warehouses batch picks by bin. That's on the Amazon scale - computer parts warehouses and the like. Orders from one set of bins, one end of the warehouse if you like, are grouped together to reduce the time needed to gather. They can also prioritise by size, usually to get out the door all the orders that fit in one padded envelope.

Thornes may not be big enough for the automated systems, you would have to work there to know their strategy. Even with a manual system you might find that there is some presorting of orders, several that include only frames might be completed before a complex order with sale and non sale items that needs time to pack. Just saying that the logic of what is sent first might not be obvious from the outside.

Doing a Thornes Tour next year - you get free beer after a Brewery Tour - might we get a free hive? :)

R2

Latest posts

Back