T's winter online sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered from Maisemore's same day and that order arrived safely this afternoon - but given the level of ordering T's I suspect I shall wait a bit longer...which is fine as I don't need the stuff until Spring :)

One reason for the winter sales is to try to even out demand over the year. It can be headless chicken time in the summer.

The suppliers are guaranteed to not have all items in stock all of the time and we know that bees won't wait for us - we have to be prepared. There will still be some who are caught out next year, so if you're reading this - you have been warned! GET THE STUFF NOW!

I know one chap who kept saying that he needed to order some hive parts and despite me saying there was a 3 week delay at the time, he waited and waited and then his hives swarmed and he complained that there was no stock!

My three big boxes arrived yesterday. Checked it all through this morning. Hive lids all solid pieces, can't see any significant faults in timbers of brood boxes and supers.

Very pleased.

Certainly with M, they carry on making up seconds to fulfil sale orders "on futures" so to speak and that can take weeks, which is fine by me.

Good price and made up before the short-sighted put their order in 1st May and moan it hasn't arrived overnight.

four large boxes arrived today.....at 6:45AM, rather a shock,sent the wife down to open the door she took them in and made me a nice cup of tea....i am enjoying this retirement lark, first delivery the Van man said, we live too near the distribution centre

all ok, except one super top rail looks as though the tenon will not last too long due to a knot

But i will swap super parts around and put all the iffy parts into one super, so out of the 10 i purchased i will have 9 supers that will last 20 years plus and one that will be a reserve or i will sell it on ebay in the height of the forage season next year :rolleyes:

i ordered mine mid afternoon on the 21st, so they still are working through the first day orders, pleased with the order overall

Last edited:
Mine's just arrived from 12:30 order at Monday not been through it yet but looks good from quick peak. I'll be honest being a newbie not sure what to expect normal so dont have anything to compare it against :)

Ordered 12 ish on the first day and arrived 12.15 this afternoon!! Only frames - but they all look reasonable - although I think I'll need to sand some of them to avoid splinters...

I placed my order at 11am on the Monday, still no sign of it. Im in no hurry to get it, but its frustrating not knowing what day to stay in for the delivery

Mine's just arrived from 12:30 order at Monday not been through it yet but looks good from quick peak. I'll be honest being a newbie not sure what to expect normal so dont have anything to compare it against :)

if you have bought supers and brood boxes don't store them in a centrally heated house as they can warp....i soak mine in a water butt for the day before i make them, Also follow Maisemore instruction on their web site when making them up after first adding the runners to the narrower sides...their instrction are easier to follow than than Thornes.....if in doubt ask on here

thanks Muswell. i have one side panel warped. so will it straighten out if i leave overnight in water?
thanks

sent using tapatalk

thanks Muswell. i have one side panel warped. so will it straighten out if i leave overnight in water?
thanks

sent using tapatalk

I find they do straighten , if you soak them long enough, it is normally because they have been cut from wood close to the heart wood

i soak all parts then glue the top and bottom rails to the longer sides while fixing with a vertical thin long nail down through the tenons ( ie not thru the side face of rail ....you then have a wobbly box, i fix the plastic runner to the top of the shorted sides ( i use new metal one) then tap in the shorted sides having put glue into the channels) until the runner is a frame top depth below sides/top rail, ie a frame top bar should be level or 1mm below with the top of the sides when resting on the runners...no need to measure as required in Th**nes instructions and a variaint of the maisemore instructions download

I square up the box on a crown board and then nail through the back of the top and bottom rails into the shorter sides.( if the super sides were warped and it needs heavier fixing i the nail though the sides and through the tenons)

Last edited:
if you have bought supers and brood boxes don't store them in a centrally heated house as they can warp....i soak mine in a water butt for the day before i make them, Also follow Maisemore instruction on their web site when making them up after first adding the runners to the narrower sides...their instrction are easier to follow than than Th**nes.....if in doubt ask on here

Great thanks - just was some langstroth brood & super frame's for when i get my poly's next year :)

how does the glue stick if they are soaked in water the day before?

Received my little pallet load of goodies from T's.

Excellent service as I have always experienced, Thank you T.

Will keep me occupied through the dark winter, banging about in my garage!! ;)

I did say in the water butt the day before not immediately before glueing ,they are dry externally and standard evostick exterior PVA glue works well.

The joints dry out very tight once the wood goes to normal moisture content, if you use thornes nailing method the tenons spring in dry weather

My parcel arrived two days after my order :)
I ordered two extra supers to eke out two existing standard brood boxes to 14 x 12.
Does the eke have to be 3 5/8 inches or will 4 be OK and what's the best way to join the two together?

Erichalfbee,

Certainly a way of doing it, but I have never considered using a super to make an eke. I would be more likely to make another 14 x 12 with them (plus a very small eke)!

I simply add an eke to the bottom of a deep (using thinner side rails with butt joints, as they don't need to be as strong as the standard issue).

The dimensions will be important for those times you may want the box on top of another. Not very often, agreed, but there will be a time......

I simply screw through from the bottom of the new side bars as it will never be lifting any amount of weight (just itself, really). Your bottom rail will need to be the standard size if you are running as bottom bee space (mine are simpler to make and simpler/easier to assemble, too).

Regards, RAB

I find they do straighten , if you soak them long enough, it is normally because they have been cut from wood close to the heart wood

i soak all parts then glue the top and bottom rails to the longer sides while fixing with a vertical thin long nail down through the tenons ( ie not thru the side face of rail ....you then have a wobbly box, i fix the plastic runner to the top of the shorted sides ( i use new metal one) then tap in the shorted sides having put glue into the channels) until the runner is a frame top depth below sides/top rail, ie a frame top bar should be level or 1mm below with the top of the sides when resting on the runners...no need to measure as required in Th**nes instructions and a variaint of the maisemore instructions download

I square up the box on a crown board and then nail through the back of the top and bottom rails into the shorter sides.( if the super sides were warped and it needs heavier fixing i the nail though the sides and through the tenons)
So let me get this right, you basically fully submerge the wood in water for 24 hours.

Then let it dry out before making it?

And this can straighten out warped panels?

What other purpose does it have, if they are not warped?

Are the tenons the side struts that you get to lock into the panels?

Latest posts

Back