Sugar cheaper at the supermarket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Here in Italy if you buy sugar in bulk, for a bakery for example, it's more expensive than buying it from the supermarket.

There is a sugar wholesaler about 30min drive from me and they sell sugar in 25Kg sacks at €0.96 per Kg (up to 300kg, then it gets a little cheaper). That is plus delivery, I cannot pick it up for orders smaller than 1,000Kg.

I can buy it from the local supermarket in Kg packs for €0.65 each.

They do sell bee fondant for €1.42 per Kg (again plus delivery).

Delivery is a flat €20 for Tuscany (where I live).

From what I gather the difference in price is different taxation for the sugar. Lower if destined for domestic use (supermarket) and much higher if destined for industrial and transformation use (bakeries, patisseries, industrial preserves and so on).

Since there's a lot of discussion about sugar pricing here I thought this would be of interest.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be buying sugar from the supermarket. It's still early to be feeding for winter here, there's at least another month, but I like to be ready.
I might approach the local patisserie and ask them to order some fondant for me the next time they make an order for themselves, to save those €20 for delivery.

Seems stupid but that's the way of the world. Off topic but similar madness a few years ago a mate wanted to buy a new Range Rover here in the U.K. The vehicle was manufactured in Solihull about 80 miles down the road from where he lived.
In the end it was considerably cheaper to pay a third party to source, purchase, import and register the vehicle than buying it direct here
Wingy

Last edited:
Here in Italy if you buy sugar in bulk, for a bakery for example, it's more expensive than buying it from the supermarket.

There is a sugar wholesaler about 30min drive from me and they sell sugar in 25Kg sacks at €0.96 per Kg (up to 300kg, then it gets a little cheaper). That is plus delivery, I cannot pick it up for orders smaller than 1,000Kg.

I can buy it from the local supermarket in Kg packs for €0.65 each.

They do sell bee fondant for €1.42 per Kg (again plus delivery).

Delivery is a flat €20 for Tuscany (where I live).

From what I gather the difference in price is different taxation for the sugar. Lower if destined for domestic use (supermarket) and much higher if destined for industrial and transformation use (bakeries, patisseries, industrial preserves and so on).

Since there's a lot of discussion about sugar pricing here I thought this would be of interest.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be buying sugar from the supermarket. It's still early to be feeding for winter here, there's at least another month, but I like to be ready.
I might approach the local patisserie and ask them to order some fondant for me the next time they make an order for themselves, to save those €20 for delivery.

Can you not buy glucose/fructose mix from a beekeepers supply shop cheaper? I was paying €0.74 in the super market then I found the above for 0.72 with no mixing or work required.

I don't know, I haven't looked yet. At the sugar wholesaler the syrup is way more expensive than that.

About 0.60 € here /kg. It means that winter food store per hive is 12€.

20% more than last year.

If you look sugar futurs, it is going up. Not lower.

Nope, but this weekend or the next I'm going to Florence to get some livestock for my aquariums. I'll investigate any Lidls in the area. Thanks.

Just got back from Morrisons
2kg bag of sugar on special offer for only 88p
That's just 44p per kilo
bee-smillie

I have my bees on a low carb diet as I know they're not going to get much exercise over the next few months. I've been feeding them Splenda. It costs a fortune!

Latest posts

Back