Sugar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been to buy some sugar from Bookers. 50kg for £28. (£0.56/kg)

Last year same place was 50kg for £20. (£0.40/kg)

Which is basically a 40% increase from last year.

Has anyone found anywhere cheaper?

SteveJ

2 Kilo bags back in stock at Morrisons 88p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just seen some in poundstretcher for 55p a kilo.

Everyone appears to be seeing it...anyone buying it? Or are we just window shopping?
And apart from those who buy in the tons....what quantities?

Appreciate the offer Millet, but not needed as I have just turned 100 x 1 kg bags into syrup. Small beer by the pros standards...but what would I do with a ton of sugar?

Appreciate the offer Millet, but not needed as I have just turned 100 x 1 kg bags into syrup. Small beer by the pros standards...but what would I do with a ton of sugar?

100 :eek: i did 10 last night and that was bad enough, i got funny looks buying 20kg of the stuff two days ago, i told the till lady i had a sweet tooth she just laughed, i think if i bought 100kg of the stuff from a food shop the bomb squad would be on my back..:spy:

Make 1.63 tonnes of syrup of course.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm never too sure what's truth, sarcasm, irony or a genuine mistake, but I think you need 1000kg sugar, (not 100kg) to make 1.63 tonnes of syrup.

Bought another 100kg from morrisons at 44p a kg.thats my sixth or seventh visit so far.just hope that I don't need to feed the thirty something hive on the heather too much.

Bought another 100kg from morrisons at 44p a kg.thats my sixth or seventh visit so far.just hope that I don't need to feed the thirty something hive on the heather too much.

Home delivery man bought us 10 bags last night.
He did enquire as to whether we had a sweet tooth. Husband did a good job of explaining why we needed it. :)

There is an article on teh BBC website (and video) about sugar quotas in the EU. They are about to end the quota on sugar beet production. Sugar price has been kept artificially high by these quotas and prices are expected to drop as production increases. :)
]

"The UK is one of the most efficient producers worldwide," says Jane Clark, who farms sugar beet in Lincolnshire. "It should put us in a good place to be competitive."

“At the moment, white sugar sells for about 500 euros (£440) a tonne in the EU, compared with just over 300 euros a tonne on the international market, according to EU figures.

I am not sure thes two comments will prove congruent

1) Does anyone use commercial sugar syrup, SG about 1.66

2) How many Kg are you dissolving at a time. 10, 100, 1000 ? and how are you doing a 1000 at a time

100kg a time... ( 4 x 25kg bags from wherever is cheapest at the time)

100kg a time... ( 4 x 25kg bags from wherever is cheapest at the time)

OK, ... i'm getting closer, ... I don't think I ask the right questions to start with.

So you have a 150 + lt container ( large removeable lid ) old HWC with the thermostat at max or deleted so you get V hot water ( 80 lts ) .... pump to agitate ?

1)

2) How many Kg are you dissolving at a time. 10, 100, 1000 ? and how are you doing a 1000 at a time

We can do 600kg at a time with cold water, using an old bulk milk tank (250gal Fullwood) . Usually left circulating overnight, then pumped into an IBC. If pushed can just about do 2 mixes in 24hrs, but can have a small amount not dissolved.

Latest posts

Back