Sugar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just been to buy some sugar from Bookers. 50kg for £28. (£0.56/kg)

Last year same place was 50kg for £20. (£0.40/kg)

Which is basically a 40% increase from last year.

Has anyone found anywhere cheaper?

SteveJ

Just been to buy some sugar from Bookers. 50kg for £28. (£0.56/kg)

Last year same place was 50kg for £20. (£0.40/kg)

Which is basically a 40% increase from last year.

Has anyone found anywhere cheaper?

SteveJ

Morrisons are THE cheapest. 88p for 2kgs. (been through them all)

Last edited:
Was pricing two tons in NI and the best I have been quoted works out at £0.56 per kilo. No Morrisons to go to...

In Finland Lidl has £ 0.55/kg. So the same price..

Average 20 kg/hive wintering cost. It is not much. But 20% rise compared to last year.

Last edited:
ALDI.... ask to see manager and see if he will do a deal for a pallet?
Paid £340 so worked out at 34p a kilo ( lot of bags to open in 1 kilo bags... but make good firelighters!)... you will need something that a fork lift can load onto... or if off loading into cars put up with the sarky comments... like My word ... you must have a sweet tooth.. etc etc!!
Topped up with sugar last year as did not order enough invert and mis-calculated how much the yellow stripey girls would store away!

Yeghes da

Clicked on this thread half-expecting a Brexit debate.

Morrisons by me (Willenhall) sold out however Farm foods doing 2x 1kg bags for £1

ALDI.... ask to see manager and see if he will do a deal for a pallet?
Paid £340 so worked out at 34p a kilo ( lot of bags to open in 1 kilo bags... but make good firelighters!)... you will need something that a fork lift can load onto... or if off loading into cars put up with the sarky comments... like My word ... you must have a sweet tooth.. etc etc!!
Topped up with sugar last year as did not order enough invert and mis-calculated how much the yellow stripey girls would store away!

Yeghes da

Thanks I might try that. I'm buying 100kg a week at the moment.

SteveJ

I need to keep better records I knew it had gone up a bit but not quite that much I bought 200kg yesterday.

World price has gone back up a fair bit....and the pound is down 20%. Higher prices to be expected. The prices being quoted by some are just loss leader rates, little reflection on the price you can get from major traders. Yes its cheaper but would never get the job done opening all these kilo bags.

LOL alfazer.....quite so...a subject that would readily invite such a turn of debate.

IN Walmart USA 2 kg cane sugar is £ 2.3 .
Almost double price compared to EU sugar.

Last edited:
IN Walmart USA 2 kg cane sugar is £ 2.3 .
Almost double price compared to EU sugar.

Yes, it is fairly common to find that the same product is a different price in other countries.

Morrisons are THE cheapest. 88p for 2kgs. (been through them all)

Thanks for the information, went to Morrisons today and got stocks in. They are also saving damaged bags for me...result!!

Yes, it is fairly common to find that the same product is a different price in other countries.

I have noticed that even the same product has different prices in the same supermarket.

( I hope that Millet understand this too)

Didn't realise they used sterling? :bump:

Yeah, if I write Euro, then you would not realise even that bit.
If you compare prices between two country, it is better to do with same currency.

Yes, we use in Finland sterling, and many other money units, like Russian rubla, Swedish kronor, credit cards, gold bars....

Last edited:
Yeah, if I write Euro, then you would not realise even that bit.
If you compare prices between two country, it is better to do with same currency.

Yes, we use in Finland sterling, and many other money units, like Russian rubla, Swedish kronor, credit cards, gold bars....

Groats?

Latest posts

Back