Stainless steel fixings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been using stainless nails and screws for making up beehive parts that are exposed to the elements for long periods of time. This weekend I needed to order some more as I want to get ahead of the game a bit and start making up some more UFEs.

I was horrified to discover that since I last bought them, a couple of weeks shy of a year ago, the price has increased by 40%! Unless I can find anywhere selling them in larger quantities at more reasonable prices I may have a re-think and just use stainless for ones that are actually likely to be rained on etc. and plated steel for anything inside that will probably get covered in wax and/or propolis anyhow.

James

I have been using stainless nails and screws for making up beehive parts that are exposed to the elements for long periods of time. This weekend I needed to order some more as I want to get ahead of the game a bit and start making up some more UFEs.

I was horrified to discover that since I last bought them, a couple of weeks shy of a year ago, the price has increased by 40%! Unless I can find anywhere selling them in larger quantities at more reasonable prices I may have a re-think and just use stainless for ones that are actually likely to be rained on etc. and plated steel for anything inside that will probably get covered in wax and/or propolis anyhow.

James
Are decking screws an appropriate alternative? I use them for the few timber hives I have.

James
where do you usually get them? I've used Westfield Fasteners for years although I haven't needed to buy any (S/S or BZP) for a while now

where do you usually get them? I've used Westfield Fasteners for years although I haven't needed to buy any (S/S or BZP) for a while now

I'll have a look at Westfield Fasteners, thanks. I don't think I've seen them before. Generally I just try to get them from wherever is cheapest, but there don't seem to be that many choices when you're after stainless. I think the last lot of stainless nails I bought was from somewhere that sold "rustic" furniture as far as I recall. Initially I bought them for fixing the cladding on my observatory. Standard carbon steel nails look horrible when they start to corrode and stain the timber on a cladded wall.

James

I've bought boxes from Skrewfix or Toolstation.
They're chemically treated, rather than stainless steel.
One of my brothers is a garden builder. He uses decking screws for everything.

Are decking screws an appropriate alternative? I use them for the few timber hives I have.

It's possible. I've seem an awful lot of badly-corroded deck screws, but then they do spend an awful lot of time sitting in a wet environment. We removed some decking a year or two back (I used some of the timber to make UFEs, oddly enough) and so many of the screws snapped.

James

I'll have a look at Westfield Fasteners, thanks. I don't think I've seen them before. Generally I just try to get them from wherever is cheapest, but there don't seem to be that many choices when you're after stainless. I think the last lot of stainless nails I bought was from somewhere that sold "rustic" furniture as far as I recall. Initially I bought them for fixing the cladding on my observatory. Standard carbon steel nails look horrible when they start to corrode and stain the timber on a cladded wall.

James
I always use the torx head screws as S/S screws are a bugger for burring

I always use the torx head screws as S/S screws are a bugger for burring

Yes, stainless can be a bit on the soft side sometimes. Except when it work hardens :D I gave up trying to drill anything but small holes in the stainless pots that I used to make my brewery and used Q-Max cutters instead.

James

I used to use stainless screws but since I now fix my boxes by nailing through the joints at the corners all the galvanised nails are protected from the elements.

James
James. Have a look at Swiftfix.co.uk I Have used them in the past and seem ok.

I went to Westfield Fasteners yesterday. They have a base nearby in the hamlet of Westfield near Long Crendon!!
They were most helpful but siad I should order online not just turn up.
A young lady came and took my order and it was made up and brought to me as I waited in the car. Good price and excellent service

Latest posts

Back