Running short

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you got the guess bit right
"It's true what they say about failure, you don't learn from success" Quote/ copy and paste it and l think you’ll be surprised what you find.....another good principle.

Last edited:
A picture paints a thousand words...
Ledge, rail, side panel, strip, runner, rebate, top and bottom bee space - WORDS - we all know what WE mean.81F350F7-128F-440C-ACAD-B28148FD1527.jpegE89201C5-9F71-4040-8367-BA1527D512A5.jpegC0DA8153-6501-44D7-970D-D058E33A6F12.jpeg

#Well that looks like no national Hive setup I've ever seen.
If you're going to start with a bodgeup, how do you expect it to end any better?
Some B’ees are friendly, hardworking, docile and don’t get agitated on the comb whilst others are just plain hostile......it’s all in the jeans!

Last edited:
The last photo with a tick is sound but those are top bee space rails, with standard BBS national the top of the lug is level with the top of the rail. Your picture shows a TBS set up, the bottom of the frames should have no bee space below them.

The last photo with a tick is sound but those are top bee space rails, with standard BBS national the top of the lug is level with the top of the rail
But have you ever seen a hive where the side panel sits in a rebate below the rail? all boxes I've seen have the rails sitting flush against the side panels, so we're not looking at a standard modified National

picture shows a TBS set up, the bottom of the frames should have no bee space below them.
The first post told us that the OP makes his own boxes, so orthodox construction doesn't count here. TBS with lugs sitting on rebates is a horrible way to work, so it's understandable that H wants the best of both worlds: TBS and beespace under the lugs.

When you're making the boxes up you can make them TBS or BBS, whichever. No need for rims.
I appreciate that but I believe Dani has converted her BBS Abelo boxes to TBS by adding a rim of wood.

I appreciate that but I believe Dani has converted her BBS Abelo boxes to TBS by adding a rim of wood.
Yes but different situation. As a lot of people do with BBS poly nucs.
But this was more about keeping the bee space under the lugs which is difficult if the runners are machined to a non-standard angle (whether it's TBS or BBS).

Which is what you get with a top space hive....surely?
True.

Wasn't thinking straight, but had in mind how Swienty poly must be used if TBS: lugs sitting on rebate.

What is clear is that anywhere between 0 and 5mm under lugs in other boxes leads to greater clogging but that H's build mods are irrelevant to this result. Main story here is that runners should give 8mm. under the lug but that most don't.

Not wood but plastic. But yes that’s what I’ve done. It means there is top and bottom space but that doesn’t matter in a brood. Not to me anyway.

Latest posts

Back