Running short

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True.

Wasn't thinking straight, but had in mind how Swienty poly must be used if TBS: lugs sitting on rebate.

What is clear is that anywhere between 0 and 5mm under lugs in other boxes leads to greater clogging but that H's build mods are irrelevant to this result. Main story here is that runners should give 8mm. under the lug but that most don't.
I think it's a non issue personally, all my brood boxes have only between 4 and 5mm and it's never been a problem

Maisemore by the look of them.
I mentioned TBS rail earlier because it gives that space under the frame lug while also keeping the bee space above the top bars. When I said there should be no space below the frame I meant the bottom bars hang level with the bottom of the box.
Thornes do TBS nationals, have done for years, extra £8 per hive. I simply route out that area on an ordinary top rail (taking the joint into account) and push the side panel down flush with the bottom of the hive. Works a treat.

I think it's a non issue personally, all my brood boxes have only between 4 and 5mm and it's never been a problem
Agree, but H's point remains valid: why are manufacturers incapable of machining a part correctly?

Either the makers seek to economise on metal (and sod the consequences) or they don't understand beespace and the effective role of their product in use.

The good runners came from Maisemore. Jon was very helpful and gave me complete assurance that their runners were good quality before l put in the order. Not the cheapest but far better than a waste of time!

Back