Sugar prices.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
This is from an email from Cake Stuff from whom I bought my fondant last year.

"Prices
The exchange rate is terrible. Sugar is traded in Euros (and US dollars) and sugar production prices are agreed annually in October, so the timing of this and Brexit could create the perfect storm. There are other strains on prices too… the massive increase in demand as manufacturers stock up means the cost of ingredients increases (classic demand v. supply), plus the huge expense of storing stockpiled products and the actual increased cost of importing goods from Europe. Put all this together and it’s inevitable that sugar prices will increase and that increase will trickle through to all sugar-based products like sugarpaste. Cake Stuff have committed to only passing on the increase without adding any margin – in other words, if a brand of sugarpaste increases by 6p per kilo then we’ll pass on that 6p increase and not a penny more (don’t read anything into the 6p figure – we have no idea what any increase may be).

Likewise, a poor exchange rate against the US dollar means all of the products we currently import from the States are costing us a helluva lot more than they did a year ago. We’ll do everything we can to keep increases to a minimum but they’re going to happen, so it goes without saying that we’ll continue doing anything possible to ensure we always offer you the best possible price on any product."

Something to think about.

PH

"Prices
The exchange rate is terrible. Sugar is traded in Euros (and US dollars) and sugar production prices are agreed annually in October, so the timing of this and Brexit could create the perfect storm. There are other strains on prices too… the massive increase in demand as manufacturers stock up means the cost of ingredients increases (classic demand v. supply), plus the huge expense of storing stockpiled products and the actual increased cost of importing goods from Europe. Put all this together and it’s inevitable that sugar prices will increase and that increase will trickle through to all sugar-based products like sugarpaste. Cake Stuff have committed to only passing on the increase without adding any margin – in other words, if a brand of sugarpaste increases by 6p per kilo then we’ll pass on that 6p increase and not a penny more (don’t read anything into the 6p figure – we have no idea what any increase may be).

Likewise, a poor exchange rate against the US dollar means all of the products we currently import from the States are costing us a helluva lot more than they did a year ago. We’ll do everything we can to keep increases to a minimum but they’re going to happen, so it goes without saying that we’ll continue doing anything possible to ensure we always offer you the best possible price on any product."

Something to think about.

PH

Thanks

Which fondant are you using from them.
This seems a likely canditdate.
5kg / 11lb IVORY Luxury Sugarpaste Ready To Roll Fondant Icing

Needing an urgent supply of fondant earlier this season I bought some Cake Stuff product....

Guess what it was BAKO in Bako packaging !...

and at almost 3 times the price I paid from my local Association group which is from BAKO ( BELSUC on the boxes!)

Commodities trading ?

seventeen quid a box good value!! a tenner more than the Bako price
Very true but I have never bought from Bako(yet!). I would normally buy from my association as I would rather give them my money but they had no invert left and their shop is pretty much closed up for the season so I googled around and STBK was cheaper than Thornes.

I see the annual " I get my fondant cheaper" thread is off and running :D

Fortunately I fed mine well last autumn and in the process of doing the same this year, so probably wont need any fondant again.
Bookers sugar is £22 for two bags at present, maybe not the cheapest but most convenient for me.
S

I see the annual " I get my fondant cheaper" thread is off and running :D
Indeed it is. :rolleyes: As I said in a subsequent post I would rather buy off my association as I feel that they need the cash more than a national company. However they had sold out of invert so it was more convenient to order it all from one place and get it delivered in one go.

Well, people my options here are somewhat limited unless I am willing to do a two hour+ trip to Edinburgh.

What I bought from cake Stuff was bakers fondant delivered to the door the following day, 12kg boxes at if I remember rightly £17 a box. I posted this at the time and the usual storm of nonsense broke out with people outdoing each other (bit like the parrot sketch) to claim every lower prices if not the company paying them to take it off their hands. Anyway I was very pleased with both the service and the price for the product and service.

My money my choice my location which drives that choice. Not all of us live in towns and cities after all.

However, my reason for posting the quote was nothing to do with last years fondant but more the first real thoughtful heads up as to what we are heading into.

We are indeed living in "interesting times"

Just had a comment elsewhere that sugar is up £100/mt on 18 months ago.

PH

PH

Last edited:
Fortunately I fed mine well last autumn and in the process of doing the same this year, so probably wont need any fondant again.
Bookers sugar is £22 for two bags at present, maybe not the cheapest but most convenient for me.
S

Is that offer still on? It was dues to finish on Sept 3rd.

Bako fondant... £7.35 per 12.5 kilo.... 80 boxes...£588..
..... invert considerably more per tonne IBC ( own IBC and had to collect)

Honey £23800 per ton?

Feed honey??

And what they don't tell you is BakoNW (our nearest Bako) won't deliver to home addresses even if you have a business registered at those premises. Had quite a debate with their local sales rep, but no they will not deliver, although I can pick up from Preston a mere 2.5 hour drive away..
So those of you who can get Bako fondant at their prices great, but stop bragging about it ehh....many of us can't get access to them.

And what they don't tell you is BakoNW (our nearest Bako) won't deliver to home addresses even if you have a business registered at those premises. Had quite a debate with their local sales rep, but no they will not deliver, although I can pick up from Preston a mere 2.5 hour drive away..
So those of you who can get Bako fondant at their prices great, but stop bragging about it ehh....many of us can't get access to them.

Our local association secretary jumped through so many hoops with BaKo... she recommends dealing with them is better than WeightWatchers!

Bako fondant... £7.35 per 12.5 kilo.... 80 boxes...£588..
..... invert considerably more per tonne IBC ( own IBC and had to collect)

Honey £23800 per ton?

Feed honey??

Nope, I just don't take it all off! :D

Honey costs me nothing.

When you have a hammer in your hand, all problems look like a nail. ;)

Nope, I just don't take it all off! :D

Honey costs me nothing.

When you have a hammer in your hand, all problems look like a nail. ;)

The "girls" get to keep whatever is in the brood box.... one good reason for not using 14 x 12 abominations!

Chons da

Have you not got a friend with any commercial premises that they would deliver to. Just a thought I’ve done it before.

Have you not got a friend with any commercial premises that they would deliver to. Just a thought I’ve done it before.
Good idea...
But is it worth the hassle and effort to save a few quid and get major forum bragging rights? :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back