Sugar shortage?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
I bought some fondant for nucs recently and have just received an email from the supplier:

"
Hello, I rarely send update emails but you may have noticed a shortage of sugar products. All our sugar products are on order but no confirmed delivery date due to a global shortage.

Four main reasons for the shortage;

1. A drought in Brazil with a 5% drop in the sugar crop

2. Brazil, one of the largest producers of sugar is moving it to bio fuels rather than sweetener, as it is more profitable. As more people are driving after covid restrictions demand for bio fuel has increased.

3. Container shortage has slowed Indian sugar exports.

4. Increased worldwide demand for sugar.

The shortage may impact other products that need sugar. Many customers are already stocking up on sugar from supermarkets.

I have added a product notification box. On any out of stock items click the NOTIFY ME button and when back in stock you will receive an automated update.

Note when stock arrives it may sell out quickly."

Has anyone else received anything like this?

Nope.
We buy a few tonnes of syrup and fondant each year, no such notification from our supplier..... yet.

they're just working up to a price hike

That's possible but I'm not a huge/regular customer of this supplier so I wondered why they'd put their credibility on the line. It's also possible that there is a problem with moving goods around the world due to covid at the moment.
Just take it as a "Heads up" for what it's worth

they're just working up to a price hike

Not just. Biofuels are part of the response to climate change and it takes a lot of sugar to create enough ethanol to replace fossil fuels. The law of unintended consequences.

They have made biofuel in Brazil tens of years.
Brazil is almost only country which exports cane sugar.

But inside one year global sugar price has rised sbout 60%.

They have made biofuel in Brazil tens of years.
Brazil is almost only country which exports cane sugar.

But inside one year global sugar price has rised sbout 60%.

Not surprising with the imminent introduction of E10 fuels.

Back