Recommendations for Innovative Beekeepers to Interview

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexanderkjones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing research on innovative and inspiring people in the beekeeping community for an interview series I would like to produce. This includes scientists, researchers, backyard naturalists, the whole gamut.

​If you had the chance to sit down with anyone working with bees who would it be and what are the top 5 questions you would ask them?

Finman, Derekm, Enrico, Jenkinsbrynmair, Oliver90Owner in one room would be interesting. I think it could go pay-per-view!!

what I have learned from this forum is that one person's innovation is another's heresy. However they are for the most part inspiring - they are your bees, you make your own decision.

I answered in Beemaster frum to this aquestion:

1) How many hives and how many years experience
2) How big is average yield per hive (skills)
3) what are key factors in getting good yield (self analyse)
4) What are key factors in honey marketing ( honey production)
5) what issues is he going to develope in nearest future ( interest to continue)

Skills are behind everything.

(dont ask, do you love bees)

Finman, Derekm, Enrico, Jenkinsbrynmair, Oliver90Owner in one room would be interesting. I think it could go pay-per-view!!

I think you should add Chris B to your list very knowledgeable and helpful

I am sure I have left out many noteworthy beeks for which I apologise.

Clare Densley - Buckfast Abbey - no particular questions - just a FAB person to talk bees with - but please do not tell her I recommended her - as I think she will shoot me!!!!

I would like to interview an Egyptian and Assyrian and a new world Indian Each from the prime of their Era's about methods in general, and I would like a Spectoral analysis of samples from each of their Honies, and see the difference to modern Analysis, ie concerning Heavy metals, agressive chemicals, and Pollens.

Hi everyone, I'm currently doing research on innovative and inspiring people in the beekeeping community for an interview series I would like to produce. This includes scientists, researchers, backyard naturalists, the whole gamut.

​If you had the chance to sit down with anyone working with bees who would it be and what are the top 5 questions you would ask them?

In the US you have Sue Cobey/Joe Latshaw; Michael Bush: Wyatt Mangum: Michael Palmer: Danny Weaver; Marla Spivak; Kirk Webster and so many others right on your doorstep. If you need help with questions to ask these people then I wonder how closely related to the beekeeping world you actually are.

In the US you have Sue Cobey/Joe Latshaw; Michael Bush: Wyatt Mangum: Michael Palmer: Danny Weaver; Marla Spivak; Kirk Webster and so many others right on your doorstep. If you need help with questions to ask these people then I wonder how closely related to the beekeeping world you actually are.

Those forum guys. Often those guys have rigid opinions and they do not want to read any researches. Year after year same rubbish in many issues.
Natural beekeeåping is the most odd issue.

USA has several Universities which have researching and huge resources.
They main duty is to serve honey production industry and not to fly after "catch and release pettykeeping".

Natural beekeeåping is the most odd issue.

I'm not actually sure that 'natural beekeeping' is odd in itself, probably not that much different to what my grandparents were doing with no spare money and rationing during the second world war; I think the problem is that it can be just an easy doctrine for certain odd-balls to hang lazy management on to.

Send me an email : [email protected]

I can give you a lead that I don't want to put out publicly.

If you need help with questions to ask these people then I wonder how closely related to the beekeeping world you actually are.

If you need help with choosing which people to interview ... likewise.

Finman: Those forum guys. Often those guys have rigid opinions
Now that's the best one I've heard all year ... :laughing-smiley-014

LJ

I'd like to talk to the guy who introduced the concept of matchsticks and crownboards, and ask him why he thought wind-tunnel beekeeping was such a good idea.

I'd like to ask Lorenzo Langstroth why he had so many spare champagne crates that he could use them as a basis for beehives, and I'd like to ask the committee that designed the national why ... just why they made it out of so many bits of wood.

I'd like to meet Jurgen Tautz, just to hear him talk about bees. Ditto Kirk Webster, because his enthusiasm is contagious.

I'd like to ask some other people why they have to criticise a question instead of either ignoring or answering it!

I think the problem is that it can be just an easy doctrine for certain odd-balls to hang lazy management on to.

I think there are odd balls across the whole spectrum of beekeeping ... is it any less odd to insist on taking all the honey out of a hive (Finman ?) and then feed them cheaper sugar alternatives to see them through the winter or to bash the hive with chemicals to treat varroa whether there is any sign of infestation or not. It can be just as lazy to mindlessly follow conventional routes as it is to practice a well considered, monitored and caring non-invasive method of beekeeping.

I'm not criticising every conventional beekeeper in the world but to suggest that people who decide on a less invasive method of beekeeping do it out of pure laziness is an uninformed posture.

I'd like to talk to the guy who introduced the concept of matchsticks and crownboards, and ask him why he thought wind-tunnel beekeeping was such a good idea.

I'd like to ask Lorenzo Langstroth why he had so many spare champagne crates that he could use them as a basis for beehives, and I'd like to ask the committee that designed the national why ... just why they made it out of so many bits of wood.

I'd like to meet Jurgen Tautz, just to hear him talk about bees. Ditto Kirk Webster, because his enthusiasm is contagious.

I'd like to ask some other people why they have to criticise a question instead of either ignoring or answering it!

:iagree::yeahthat::yeahthat:

If you need help with choosing which people to interview ... likewise.

True!

Of course, he doesn't actually need to be closely associated with the bee world to write a series of articles on beekeepers but the initial request didn't strike me as a usual route for a mainstream researcher to be using either.

I think there are odd balls across the whole spectrum of beekeeping ..

My wife says I am NOT an "odd ball".... she says I am just completely nuts.

Apologies to all odd balls.

If you believe that innovation is in forum members, it is a mistake.

Take country's five biggest beekeepers and go there.

Back