Understanding the habits of and issues faced by beekeepers in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamGough

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Sam, a 4th year Product design and Manufacture student at the University of Nottingham. I'm carrying out this survey as part of my Major Project for my masters degree, based on improving the design of bee hives and accessibility of beekeeping. This survey will be used to inform my initial design concepts and provide clear requirements of a final solution.

In this study, you will be asked to complete a short survey of 15 questions asking about your experiences with beekeeping, your opinions on existing products and about the problems you currently face. This will be used to inform a design project being conducted as part of my degree at the University of Nottingham and inform on concepts and future design of a product

This survey will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

PARTICIPATION IN THIS STUDY IS VOLUNTARY. This study has been reviewed and approved by one of the PDM Course Tutors as part of the University of Nottingham Faculty of Engineering Ethics process.
If you do wish to continue, you do not have to answer any question which you would prefer not to. Data from this study will be used to generate project reports and academic publications. The data will be stored for the duration of the project on password protected systems. It will be deleted 7 years after the publication of any materials based on it. Participants will not be asked for their name, address or other identifying information as part of this study. All work produced through this project will be checked to avoid publishing identifiable details. You should not reveal any sensitive information about you, or others known to you, in your responses.

Any help and information you could provide me is greatly appreciated!
If you have any questions about the study or data usage, please contact [email protected]

Please follow this link if you would like to fill out the survey: Survey to understand the habits of and issues faced by beekeepers in the UK

I’ve done too but tried to explain why we do not need another hive with a different frame format or incompatibility issues.
I doubt it will make any difference.The paper is a theoretical exercise I should imagine

I’ve done too but tried to explain why we do not need another hive with a different frame format or incompatibility issues.
Ditto.
What were the main problems you faced when first getting into bee keeping?
Trying to decide which of the many different hives/frames to choose...

Do you think any of the posters above actually read the questionaire?
Obviously someone didn't bother whilst mounting their high horse

I'm carrying out this survey as part of my Major Project for my masters degree, based on improving the design of bee hives .............................This will be used to inform a design project

Do you think any of the posters above actually read the questionaire? :giggle:
It is nothing to do with inventing a new hive.

"This will be used to inform a design project being conducted as part of my degree at the University of Nottingham and inform on concepts and future design of a product"

What sort of product do you think they are considering?

Edit, beaten to it by JBM

"This will be used to inform a design project being conducted as part of my degree at the University of Nottingham and inform on concepts and future design of a product"

What sort of product do you think they are considering?

Edit, beaten to it by JBM
OMG... I just hope the lad does not attempt another Flows hive!!!

Done. I hope I didn’t dishearten him too much.......😢

Obviously someone didn't bother whilst mounting their high horse

I'll just dismount to write:

If the intention of the project is to gather information which will help to design a new hive, rather than inventing things to make beekeeping more accessible, there is very little in the questions being answered that will point @SamGough in the right direction. Most of the them are about beekeeping problems in general; the most direct one which related to a hive was whether you prefer top or bottom bee-space.

Good luck to him/her, if they do want design a new hive; but if that is the goal, I suggest they add a new questionnaire which is specifically about the good and bad points of existing designs.

Right, back in the saddle where I'm face height with the rest of you Lone Rangers.
:beatdeadhorse5:

I threw the dog a bone and suggested a circular hive ...........

Latest posts

Back