Pollen Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Date is 80 sugar. Keep it in hot water. Sugar melts into water soon as you know...

HI finman i take it that we use boiling water on the dates then discard the Fruit. I was shopping for brewers yeast in the horse feed store. They also sold soya oil i was wondering if the oil would be usable for Patties?. thanks Andy

I am now looking at the vitamins and minerals too. I have some vit B complex tablets, so they can have one of them in it. The manganese is looking more tricky. How much manganese? The multi vitamin tablets have 2.5mg a tablet, but lots of other stuff too? Would it be Ok to put one of them in? Could I was thinking of putting them in the blender in order to add them to the mix.

I have never used any kind of supplement on my bees . I've never noticed any deterioration in the quality of my stock !
I've no wish to come across as an old reactionary but frankly see these supplements as a fillip for Beekeepers rather than bees.
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put softened date into the dough machine and it goes there.

I do not know how to measure vitamin needs but i have calculated that 3 kg dought devided to six hives and for 7 days is about same amount like human body and weigh of bees.

At least my hives have not died.
First i was nervous what will happen.

That is what i will do too then Finman. Hoping the yeast will arrive Saturday.

I did take some to the tablets myself too Victor - you might be right that they would benefit the beekeeper!

I am now looking at the vitamins and minerals too. I have some vit B complex tablets, so they can have one of them in it. The manganese is looking more tricky. How much manganese? The multi vitamin tablets have 2.5mg a tablet, but lots of other stuff too? Would it be Ok to put one of them in? Could I was thinking of putting them in the blender in order to add them to the mix.

Hi i have just shopped at Tesc0s for the multivitamins £1.43, vitamins B complex £!.69, Magnesium £2.39 2for the price of 3.Greaseproof paper. sunflower oil total £7.67 loads left for more patties.

Last edited:
I have never used any kind of supplement on my bees . I've never noticed any deterioration in the quality of my stock !
I've no wish to come across as an old reactionary but frankly see these supplements as a fillip for Beekeepers rather than bees.
VM

very few in Finland give protein nutrition to bees or vitamins. Of course they do not need it.

But 95% imagine that syrup "encourage" brooding, but it is not so at all.

Very few even understand what meand "honey bee nutrition" or what is "aminoacid".

The most interestin thing in aminoacid contents is that human mother milk protein, beef protein, bee larva milk, yeast protein are quite similar even if anternatives are huge.
This and many other things tell that we have same origin in the beginning of life.

But like I have read here countles times, the nutrition knowledge is quite near zero level in UK too.

Right softend dates into blender mixed with soya and brewers yeast, vitamin tablets, oil. Water used to soften dates into sugar. Mix all the ingredients roll out into patties sorted.

I have some experience in this field.
Be very careful feeding Vit / Min supplements. There are many interactions which can be very harmful if overfed or are fed unbalanced.

I have some data on this somewhere, I'll endeavour to post if I can find It.

My advice is not to do it unless you are sure of the right dose.

I suspect the apothecaries were more than a few tens of centuries behind the bees in occupying lands released from the grip of the last ice age! I just wonder how they managed to survive on their own whilst waiting of the arrival of same?
VM

I suspect the apothecaries were more than a few tens of centuries behind the bees in occupying lands released from the grip of the last ice age! I just wonder how they managed to survive on their own whilst waiting of the arrival of same?
VM

you mean patty feeding? Question is not to keep them alive but get 100 kg average honey yield.

Last edited:
I have some experience in this field.
Be very careful feeding Vit / Min supplements. There are many interactions which can be very harmful if overfed or are fed unbalanced.

that is true.

But when I have given my recipe, it makes 3-3.5 litres dough. No harms have been appeared. Only colonies grow so much that they swarm.

Ah! I see you've grasped the subtleties of the English language and edited your post .
Pollen patties to advance a colony is valid where necessary, it's the devotees of the cauldron stirring that I suspect . A day I don't wonder is a day wasted!
My problem is to keep ahead of my colonies :D
VM

Ah! I see you've grasped the subtleties of the English language and edited your post .
Pollen patties to advance a colony is valid where necessary, it's the devotees of the cauldron stirring that I suspect . A day I don't wonder is a day wasted!
My problem is to keep ahead of my colonies :D
VM

i do not know what you are trying to say.

Patty feeding is popular in Canada, USA, Australia, NZ. they have their reasons why they do it.
Other countries trust on 1:1 syrup.

To me "nutrition of bees" is a skill and challenge, do I know what I am doing.

Like in UK guys use excluder even if they do not extract the honey.
"ways any many said a lady when sweeped her table with cat"

very few in Finland give protein nutrition to bees or vitamins.

It is generally not required in the UK. Normally, by now, the bees are expanded in numbers and almost ready for the OSR, lots of pollen is available and the winter is well and truly over.

Not so, this year. There are many out there who will not have experienced a shortage of protein stores in their hives. Hence the panic on the forum. Particularly by the two-hive owners who have already lost one of their colonies.

ditto Oliver..
I've never fed 'pollen patties' until now but this year is different.

My colonies had started brood on 4th March - since then it's been too cold for them to forage and they must be running out of pollen so I'm grateful a substitute is available - I'm giving them 300gms of nectapoll pressed on the top bars under the crownboard.

Finman what weight of dates do you use in your recipe ? Cheers for all

Last edited:
Maybe finmans pollen patty recipe should be made a sticky?
If it already has ignore me!

"ways any many said a lady when sweeped her table with cat".
The saying in Uk is"there is more than one way of skinning a cat"
VM

Back