Pollen Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You been on the happy juice? :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With all them dates it would be a bit wouldn't it?

i got the date idea from Egyptian beekeeping professor's patty recipe. At least date has not made patty worse.

However it is better than national skimmed milk, what bees cannot even digest.
Such is life.

Is dl a decilitre - a tenth of a litre - that is how I was going to do it.

And the idea of the pattie is that it replaces the protein and fats (and if possible the minerals and vitamins) that are present in natural pollen and that are needed for brood food. That is why you put some oil in it.

I have never bothered with these patties before, but this year there is hardly any pollen going into the hives - they are hardly flying because it is too cold, so that is why i am going to have a go at feeding patties. I really should have done it earlier, but in London you don't normally have to worry about access to pollen.

I continue to nervously google research on soya and sugars toxic to bees and what is in dates, but I reckon they either will take it or they won't. Nearly ready to take the plunge.

An

I continue to nervously google research on soya and sugars toxic to bees and what is in dates, but I reckon they either will take it or they won't. Nearly ready to take the plunge.

look at fineli.fi english version..

You will not find those toxics because they are not toxic.

Thx. It looks to me that the sugars that are bad for bees are present in tiny amounts in dates and soya.

I notice the fibre. I was just planning to soak and liquidise the dates, but should they be sieved to remove some fibre first?

What are those bad sugars? And from where you got that data?
American Bee Journal, February, 1977, Vol. 117 (2): 76, 77

by ROY J. BARKER
U. S. Dept. of Agriculture, Bee Research Laboratory
2000 E. Allen Road, Tucson, Arizona 85719

ABSTRACT

Sugars which poison honey bees, and impurities in commercial sugars which are harmful are discussed. There is no sugar better than pure sucrose........

..........Sugars which poison bees when fed at low levels in sucrose syrup include galactose, arabinose, xylose, melibiose, mannose, raffinose, stachyose, and lactose (Barker and Lehner, 1974b; Barker 1976a).

American Bee Journal, February, 1977, Vol. 117 (2): 76, 77

by ROY J. BARKER
U. S. Dept. of Agriculture, Bee Research Laboratory
2000 E. Allen Road, Tucson, Arizona 85719

ABSTRACT

Sugars which poison honey bees, and impurities in commercial sugars which are harmful are discussed. There is no sugar better than pure sucrose........

..........Sugars which poison bees when fed at low levels in sucrose syrup include galactose, arabinose, xylose, melibiose, mannose, raffinose, stachyose, and lactose (Barker and Lehner, 1974b; Barker 1976a).

But what these have to do with date fruit? or soya?

I have been trying to look up how much of these 'bad sugars' are in dates and soya and to find out whether there is any evidence that feeding this level of 'bad sugars' to the bees is Ok.

Sadly whilst I can Google papers, I can't be confident in my maths. For example galactose is in soya, but I can't work out how much will be in the pattie in the end.

I noted this in the recently linked nutrition paper
Adult bees can utilize glucose, fructose, sucrose, trehalose, maltose, and melezitose, but bees are unable to digest rhaminose, xylose, arabinose, galactose, mannose, lactose, raffinose, melibiose or stachyose. Most of these sugars are also toxic to honey bees. About 40% of sugars found in soybeans are toxic to bees, and therefore care should be taken when using soybeans as a pollen substitute.
http://www.extension.org/pages/28844/honey-bee-nutrition

I noted this in the recently linked nutrition paper http://www.extension.org/pages/28844/honey-bee-nutrition

Yes it was that paper that made me worry, but I don't think it is true. From what I looked up, it seems that the sugar composition of soya varies depending on where it was grown... but in all cases sucrose is the most common sugar, and the bad sugars are present in small amounts. (This is subject to me not being quite clever enough to understand the numbers health warning)

Soya is most widely used as protein for honeybees. It has been used decades.

Last spring I had in one hive 15 frames brood when willows had bloomed 2 days.
Brood were reared with soya-yeast proteins. Second hive had 12 brood frames.

I have used soya 10 years to bees.

1977 two independent laboratories compared different mixtures what professional beekeeprs had used as honeybee proptein.
It revieled out that soya and yeast were best in practice. That was first time when mixtures were really reseached and compared.

Last edited:
Soya flour has been used and recommended by many sources, but not all soya flours are equal. The flour must be expeller processed to remove its high oil content (15%). Solvent-extracted flour will have residues toxic to the bees. Using high-fat soya flour is not a problem if the final mixture of ingredients has a fat level of around 7% or lower. Protein levels for soya flour have been recorded at 50%. It is deficient in one amino acid, tryptophan. Soya flour on its own is not very attractive to bees and the processing of the flour is not always up to the standard required to safely use for feeding colonies of bees, but it is one of the cheaper supplements. It is most important to store soya flour in a cold room to prevent the oil component from going rancid.
http://informedfarmers.com/honey-bee-supplementary/

Latest posts

Back