Pollen Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All. I have been researching Spring booster feeds for my girls. I thought about FEEDBEE but have found poor reports from the web on it preference by the bees. it appears to be dtried peas and not very palatable. I have looked at Neopoll and Nektapoll and reports on them seem favourable. Many beeks, however favour their own patties. Does anyone have
  1. a good recipe
  2. a good source of ingredients , preferably from the web
    I also would appreciate advice on the use of different types of soy flour.
    Here's the real cruncher. Does anyone know of a good source of real/dried/irradiated pollen that can be purchased at a sensible price?
    Thanks everyone
    Brian:hairpull:

I had 25 kg feedbee but my bees did not want to eate it.

It was a couple of weeks ago discussion here

Just awfull recipes. It does not go that way.

I have tried several recipes and mixtures during 10 years

Here is my recommendation

Pollen patty recipe

2 kg dry yeast
1 kg soya flour
1 kg irradiated pollen

4 kg sugar as 2:1 syrup
2-3 dl rape oil (bees did not accept olive oil)
one multivitamin pill
one multi B-vitamin pill
one mangesium pill

30% of sugar should be fructose. It takes moisture from hive air and keeps
patty soft.
Date fruits are cheaper than fructose and bees seems to love it. It has 80% sugar. Put date into hot water that it softens.

The colony eates 0,5 - 1,0 kg paty/ week. I feed them 7 weeks = total 3-5 kg/hive.

The moisture of patty is very important that bees eate it.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21538&highlight=pollen+patty&page=2

Last edited:
Is that a good recipe?

Yes...

Last spring I had one hive which had 15 frames brood even if willows did not had yet flowers.

15 frames brood need 15 frames pollen.

2 weeks later another hive had 20 frames brood. It had allready willow pollen too, but not that much.

It is quite easy to see from patty consumption which hives will be giant.

If the colony has nosema, it is not able to use patty.

.Patty must be allways over the cluster (between baking paper or plastic)

Neopol is sugar tough which contains some natural pollen. How much?, I cannot find figures.

In Germany price is 3.20 €/kg and here 6 €/kg.

Neopoll C has C-vitamin, but B-vitamins are too important to bees.

Last edited:
i bought a 25kg bag of feebee on the basis of this paper....so are you saying i might just as well put £5 notes under the crown board as the bees wont eat the feedbee

Last edited:
Finman
If irradiated pollen is not available what do you suggest as a satisfactory substitute?

Last edited:
Finman
If irradiated pollen is not available what do you suggest as a satisfactory substitute?

I have not suggestion because I have not tried such formulas.

I have tried patty which had 5% pollen, but half of hives did not like the idea.

Feed Bee is very harsh when it advertises its stuff

It says about soya this way

•Soy products contain protein inhibiting enzymes that restrains digestion and absorption of certain proteins in the digestive tract of honeybees.
•Soy products contain toxic sugars e.g. Stachyose and Raffinose which are lethal to bees.
•Feeding soy products to starving colonies encourage the queen to lay eggs but the brood will not reach maturity and will die in early ages due to adverse effects of protein inhibiting enzymes & toxic sugars in soy products.
•Bee-collected pollens purchased from market are not sterilized and are contaminated with honeybee diseases and pests.
•Feeding colonies with bee-collected pollens from market highly increases the chances of introducing all kinds of diseases and/or pests to the colonies.
•Most bee-collected pollens on the market are low quality pollens which do not have any beneficial effect on the bees even if they are not contaminated.
•Irradiation has adverse effect on the quality of pollens in terms of nutrients degradation and/or digestibility. Vitamins are the most radiation-sensitive nutrients.

That all is nonsense because soya is the most popular food in pollen substitutes and it has been at least 40 years.

Soya is important because its content of aminoacids is near animal protein.

Soya has long processing where toxic materials are eliminated.

Soya is used as animal mother milk substitute.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back