ultra bee or feed bee pollen Substitute.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, does anyone advise where i can get FEED-BEE or Ultra-Bee in the 20kg sacks nowadays? thorne used to do feedbee pre covid way back in 2019, and then bee equipment used to do ultra bee until recently they only sell 340g tubs and was told they don't have a consignment ordered and not sure if they are going to order it again.

anyone have any source to obtain either of these pollen substitute feed?

thanks!
Joel

going to order it again
Likely that UK demand is low and the cost to import makes supply unrealistic.

We both keep bees in London suburbs that provide a rich source of varied pollen. I have never had the need in 15 years to feed pollen substitute. Why do you?

Last edited:
i find that when i provide pollen mix after harvesting and in early spring the brood production improve and benefits from it. Particularly in summer after harvest, feeding the bees with feedbee or ultra bee increases winter brood production and prepare them for winter better. i don't feed alot but just pipe down like 150g to 200g of mixed up paste on top of the frames a week for say 3 weeks to 4 weeks per hive. i only got like 4 to 6 hives. the bees love it as well so its abit of a win-win.

1693952499960.png

1693952522213.png

i find that when i provide pollen mix after harvesting and in early spring the brood production improve and benefits from it. Particularly in summer after harvest, feeding the bees with feedbee or ultra bee increases winter brood production and prepare them for winter better. i don't feed alot but just pipe down like 150g to 200g of mixed up paste on top of the frames a week for say 3 weeks to 4 weeks per hive. i only got like 4 to 6 hives. the bees love it as well so its abit of a win-win.

View attachment 37556

View attachment 37557
The ivy is in full bloom, but it needs moist humid conditions to yield, anything that will stimulate brood raising at this time must be good

Feeding the right pollen SUPPLEMENT at the right time can have huge benefits, over and above the performance of natural pollen. Especially if diverse sources of pollen are restricted.

This US company sell Ultra-Bee (it appears to be a US product):

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/feeding...igh-protein-pollen-substitute-dry-feed-40-lb/
and do international deliveries but you're responsible for import duties etc.

Scottish Beekeepers Association have a recipe for making it yourself:

https://www.scottishbeekeepers.org....datasheets/TDS number 9 pollen substitute.pdf
That recipe would suggest there's very little if any pollen in pollen substitute but if you just want pure pollen you can buy it in granule form from many suppliers, for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pollen-Absolutely-Natural-Product-Poland/dp/B07YV3NRNP/ref=sr_1_10?th=1

Feeding the right pollen SUPPLEMENT at the right time can have huge benefits, over and above the performance of natural pollen. Especially if diverse sources of pollen are restricted.
I see what you did there but OP is definitely talking about Substitute, not Supplement as both the products he asks about are substitutes.

I see what you did there but OP is definitely talking about Substitute, not Supplement as both the products he asks about are substitutes.
None of the current formulations available can be classed as a pollen subsitute, that term is a misnomer used to try to elevate the status of some of the current formulations and bears no relation to the real potential of said formulations.
That said, there can be benfits to using a suplement such as Ultrabee which I consider to be the best of a not very good bunch.

Looking at the publsihed ingredient profile, an inexpensive blend of brewers yeast, sugars and something like rape oil all wrapped up with a fancy technical looking label.
Very little cost of production over a minimal ingredient cost, due to the low particle size of the yeast component, just the cost of tumble mixing and patty production.
Again, not a strong formulation and not addressing the full nutrional needs of honeybees, but nothing harmfull and you will see some benefit from the yeast component. Be interesting to know if the yeast was roller dried, this would increase digestibility.

And at least they know the difference between supplement and substitute !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back