FERA : April 2013 - Pollen Substitute Feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeJayBee

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Linked with this thread here's a message from FERA https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/News/news.cfm#138

April 2013 - Pollen Substitute Feed.

Following our post about bee starvation and what looks to be another few weeks of terrible weather, it is advisable to start thinking about feeding your colonies some form of pollen substitute. By now the winter bees will have started to die off and the production of brood to replace these loses are important. However, without suitable protein and nectar, the development of brood will be damaged and in some instances may not happen at all.

It is always better to source a pollen substitute from a commercial/ equipment supplier because the consistency of the product will always be assured and they are specifically designed to help boost a colony. However, if you cannot source a pollen substitute it can be made up by mixing 3 parts (by weight) soybean flour, 1 part dried brewer’s yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and 1 part dry skimmed milk. Prepare a solution of 2 parts by volume of sugar to 1 part hot water.

Let the solution cool and mix one litre of this solution with 400 grams of the substitute. Form it into a cake and wrap in grease proof paper, if necessary they can be stored in a freezer. When using cut a small hole in the paper and place the package hole side down on the top bars over the cluster and preferably over open brood. The bees will tear the paper away and feed on the cake. It is important that the cake remains moist or bees will ignore it, so maintain the paper cover over the top or wrap it in several layers of cling film and pierce a hole big enough for the bees to get in and feed on it.

The amount fed is variable depending on the strength of the colony and external conditions. A small colony on three frames may only need 50 grams a week whilst a very strong colony may require more.

Maintain feeding substitutes until there is an adequate natural pollen crop as it may be detrimental to the colonies development to stop beforehand. This is because brood food production may be affected leading to the starvation of larvae.

Remember homemade pollen substitutes can be very variable in nutritional value due to the different ingredient brands. Generally it is better to obtain a commercial honeybee pollen substitute as the quality is assured.

Pollen substitutes must not be used if the colony is starving because it is more important to get feed into the colony rather than protein. One your hives have suitable food stores, you may then place a pollen pate on the top bars, if there isn’t already a natural source coming in.

Finally it is also worth noting that in some parts of the country, bees are still reluctant to take liquid syrup but will use invert syrups such as ambrosia. If you find that your bees are taking neither then stick to fondant until the weather warms up.

I wrote just article about "Honeybee nutrition and purpose of pollen" to the Beeekeeping Journal of Finland.

headlines

Protein need in honeybee life cycle
Vitamins
Lipids
Sugars
Fatbody - a storage tissue of insects and how it works in honey bee
Need of protein in bee's life cycle
Rapid larva growt and meaning of good food
Buffer storages of pollen for bad times
Protein feeding in spring: a recipe example
Pushing brooding in autumn - not good practice
What is the use for spring protein feeding
Nutrition values of different pollens and forage: data tables

Last edited:
here's a message from FERA https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/public/News/news.cfm#138

April 2013 - Pollen Substitute Feed.

Following our post about bee starvation and what looks to be another few weeks of terrible weather, it is advisable to start thinking about feeding your colonies some form of pollen substitute. By now the winter bees will have started to die off and the production of brood to replace these loses are important. However, without suitable protein and nectar, the development of brood will be damaged and in some instances may not happen at all.

With adequate stores and healthy well managed bees survival (longevity) shouldn't be a problem.

When the sources of nectar and pollen diminish at the end of the productive season, a third, long-lived temporal caste emerges in temperate zones. These workers are called "winter bees" among apiculturists and are able to survive for up to 8 months on honey alone (10-12). The resulting bimodal longevity distribution of temperate honeybees is truly remarkable (Fig. 1). However, the emergence of this caste is not linked directly to a specific season. This is because the caste appears principally during periods of reduced brood rearing (6, 10, 13), a situation that may arise in connection with events such as swarming, replacement or loss of the reproductive queen, and whenever the foraging conditions remain unfavorable for prolonged periods (2).
http://sageke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/2004/26/pe28

Nothing like spoiling my plans :)

A honeybee colony rearing 150000 bees/yr, needs 20kg pollen & 60kg of nectar approx 3million trips for the honey & 1.3 million for pollen!

2 kilos of bees is about 20 000 bees. It occupyes one langstroth box.

150 000 bees is about 15 kg bees. 7 langstroth boxes.

20 kg pollen fullfills one langstroth box. I would bet that you get from it about 3-4 kg bees.

I find an article that with 140 mg pollen you get one bee which weights 120 mg.

It is just impossible. That efficiency coefficient is too high to be true.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in868

-

Last edited:
2 kilos of bees is about 20 000 bees. It occupyes one langstroth box.

150 000 bees is about 15 kg bees. 7 langstroth boxes.

20 kg pollen fullfills one langstroth box. I would bet that you get from it about 3-4 kg bees.

I find an article that with 140 mg pollen you get one bee which weights 120 mg.

It is just impossible. That efficiency coefficient is too high to be true.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in868

Bleh you trying to spoil my day? Found it somewhere and liked the look - i'll be 100% honest it was a good source at the time so didnt question it! Surpose I should remove it now then :)

Last edited:
Finman quote: I find an article that with 140 mg pollen you get one bee which weights 120 mg. It is just impossible. That efficiency coefficient is too high to be true.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is perfectly possible. You tell us you have a scientific education and can do numerical calculations. Pollen contains very little water but Bees contain quite a higher % water in their body so it stands to reason that much of the 120mg (that is a bee) is not derived from the pollen but from nectar topped up with metabolic water from carbohydrate metabolism (not forgetting the water brought in by the bees and from condensation within the hive that eventually ends up in the bee)

Last edited:
It is perfectly possible. You tell us you have a scientific education and can do numerical calculations.)

It is perfectly then....

Is it fresh pollen or bee bread. in natural state or in dry. I suppose dry.

Fresh mango has 15% sugar but dry mango has 76% sugar.

Fresh strawberry has 8% sugar and dry strawberry 75%.

I note that skimmed milk is used in the recipe.

Finman has said on many threads that skimmed mild cannot be ingested by bees. if that is the case... what is it for or the reasoning behind it?

Skimmed milk has 53% lactose and 32% protein.
http://www.fineli.fi/food.php?foodid=672&lang=en

Bees cannot digest lactose.
http://www.extension.org/pages/28844/honey-bee-nutrition

1.3. Toxic Substances in Nectar and Sugar Supplement

Adult bees can utilize glucose, fructose, sucrose, trehalose, maltose, and melezitose, but bees are unable to digest rhaminose, xylose, arabinose, galactose, mannose, lactose, raffinose, melibiose or stachyose.

Dry milk is quite expencive compared to protein content.

Dry yeast has 50% protein.

I have read every official patty recipe during 10 years and they do not recommend shimmed milk. However it is widely used among beekeepers.

That bees do not have the facility to digest lactose doesn't necessarily make it harmful.

Lactose may give the bee something to dump, but apart from that, I doubt that it does much if any harm

On the other hand, milk is a source of 'complete protein' - a source of all the required amino acids. (Humans and bees need the same range of amino acids.)
Is dried yeast a source of 'complete protein'?

does it date back to rationing when it was not rationed?

On the other hand, milk is a source of 'complete protein' -n'?

I just wrote that dry milk has 32% protein and fresh milk has 3%.

What is that "complete"?

I think I think
In one forum we discussed, what brain dead person may think when he lays on his bed?

definition of brain dead is that there are any more blood circulation of electrict signalds in brains,
but hoever some of members thought that if the dead however see us and think something.

That we know however , that the dead look down from clouds and look after us what we are doing.

Last edited:
What is that "complete"?

I'm not able to translate 'complete protein' - but I can offer an explanation in English.

In the diet, protein sources are labeled according to how many of the essential amino acids they provide:

A complete protein source is one that provides all of the essential amino acids. You may also hear these sources called high quality proteins. Animal-based foods; for example, meat, poultry, fish, milk, eggs, and cheese are considered complete protein sources.

An incomplete protein source is one that is low in one or more of the essential amino acids. Complementary proteins are two or more incomplete protein sources that together provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids.

For example, rice contains low amounts of certain essential amino acids; however, these same essential amino acids are found in greater amounts in dry beans. Similarly, dry beans contain lower amounts of other essential amino acids that can be found in larger amounts in rice. Together, these two foods can provide adequate amounts of all the essential amino acids the body needs.
http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

Re Yeast - I understand that there is a product called "nutritional yeast" which does provide complete protein, but that this is made from a specifically-chosen and different strain to that used for bakers/brewers yeast.

Last edited:
I'm not able to translate 'complete protein' - but I can offer an explanation in English.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

Re Yeast - I understand that there is a product called "nutritional yeast" which does provide complete protein, but that this is made from a specifically-chosen and different strain to that used for bakers/brewers yeast.

Yes, I know English because I studied biology and these aminoa acid things in Helsinki University during years 1967-1974. All my books were English

I suppose that nutritional yeast means dead yeast and can be used as food.

That other yeast can be used for fermenting.

Yeast, what ever it is , has very good amino acid relation as a protein source of bees.

I have used yeast 10 years and it works fine.

Pollen is a one cell plant. It is a plant sperm. Inside the shell there is a living creature.

Yeast cell is very same. The creature has very same aminoacids which bee needs from pollen.

When we compare to wasp, wasp eates small insects to get protein.

Why should we feed milk to bee ? - There is no reason to do that.

Latest posts

Back