Oxalic Acid vaporizer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravated

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anybody used the Oxalic Acid vaporizer, and what were your conclusions and results

Has anybody used the Oxalic Acid vaporizer, and what were your conclusions and results

attended a Lecture at Kew Gardens, where Prof Ratneik of LASI (Uni of Sussex) said they are trying oxalic vaporizers and that lower dosages could be used than in dribble application with less damage to Bees and Queens

I have been using the Vapox OA Vaporised for 3 years in midwinter following the Autumn thymolated feed to reduce varroa load going into winter.
Have also used on caught swarms....
Do follow safety precautions... gloves ... correct mask etc

All can be accomplished without opening hives at worst time for bees

Finnman says I have fried my brain from using the weapon!......
I say it is the effect of distilled mead !

PS I used a Ukrainbulgie type before... cheap and flimsy...

I have never used anything else. Was lucky to get hold of a Varrox almost unused at less than half price. Geat for a small number of hives but commercially unviable I would think as not as quick as trickling. However, the fact that vapourising enables one to treat without opening hives (this a mid winter treatment) is a huge plus for the bees with the additional benefit that the vapour pervades the whole hive wall to wall and no doubt leaves a residue there too which could have a longer term benefit. Detractors suggest that vapourisation has caused deaths (my BKA chairman is one). I have surfed extensively and found no evidence of this. There is a safety issue, as there is with many aspects of life these days, and that is to stay upwind during treatment so as not to braethe the fumes. However, evidence suggests that the diluted fumes are less toxic that, say, rhubarb and many other foodstuffs that we all enjoy. Cost of a varrox is horrific but ther is a cheaper Canadian version that imports at less than half the price any yet is just as effectove. WARNING. Do not go down the road of doing a bit of a plumbing lashup as is demonstrated in some YouTube stuff as that really is the lethal way to go.

vapourisation has caused deaths (my BKA chairman is one)

Chairman killed by OA Fumes.... what was he doing?..... very nasty !

vapourisation has caused deaths (my BKA chairman is one)

Chairman killed by OA Fumes.... what was he doing?..... very nasty !

I did a quick double take on that too:icon_204-2:

One of the best designed evaporators i have seen so far is the Sublimox, one of our forum members uses one.

Here is one in use.....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bby6r1qWxys[/ame]

That would be me it was expensive but worth every penny. I can treat a hive in under a minute no need to open up, and cost for treatment is very low 250 treatments for about £15. My old varrox was good in the winter but i found it a bit unpleasant in summer as bees tended to get in the burner so then i made up screen on top but that made it to slow.

By the time one has forked out for all the kit needed for the Sublimox and transformer etc and bearing in mind the exchange rate for imported (Italian Lira) goods plus shipping, I very much doubt it would cost less than a Varrox. Another factor is that being in such close proximity to the dosing end of it, as the video indicates, one is right on top the hive with fumes emanating everywhere. Risky!! The Varrox and the equivalent Canadian version both have extended (5m or so?) leads so that one is well away from the business end during the process; also both are 12v so need no transformer. Sublimox would not be my choice.

The varrox instructions say to shove the burner end of the appliance in through the wide main entrance and then seal the whole slot with wadding leaving the Varrox poking out. That explains why some of the bees at bottom the hive get fried by the burner. To avoid this and to create less disturbance to the bees, I block the front entrance completely and instead vapourise from under the mesh floor using a sheet of metal the same size as the varroa drop sheet and which slides in the slots for the purpose. Then I stuff foam wadding to seal that opening and let rip. Works a treat.

Last edited:
Would not be my choice.

Clearly you would not be needing one with only a couple hives or so.

250 hives with a single varrox? I don't think so. Multiple kit, and we are now approaching the cost of the alternative?

By the time one has forked out for all the kit needed for the Sublimox and transformer etc and bearing in mind the exchange rate for imported (Italian Lira) goods plus shipping, I very much doubt it would cost less than a Varrox. Another factor is that being in such close proximity to the dosing end of it, as the video indicates, one is right on top the hive with fumes emanating everywhere. Risky!! The Varrox and the equivalent Canadian version both have extended (5m or so?) leads so that one is well away from the business end during the process; also both are 12v so need no transformer. Sublimox would not be my choice.

The varrox instructions say to shove the burner end of the appliance in through the wide main entrance and then seal the whole slot with wadding leaving the Varrox poking out. That explains why some of the bees at bottom the hive get fried by the burner. To avoid this and to create less disturbance to the bees, I block the front entrance completely and instead vapourise from under the mesh floor using a sheet of metal the same size as the varroa drop sheet and which slides in the slots for the purpose. Then I stuff foam wadding to seal that opening and let rip. Works a treat.

Using beehivesupplies pollies I found that the Varox would not fit through the entrance... was concerned that OA would sublimate on the cold OMF... if placed beneath the OMF
made up a similar "holder" out of a bit of old ally roof to fit the polly slot and take the Varox
turned over the entrance excluder to block entrance.....
connected Varox and hive treated in 2 minutes without opening or any escape of bees or OA fumes.
remove Varox and plate... slide in varroa check board ...cool Varox...reload
..and onto next hive, retyrn few minutes later ( 3~5) and refit entrance excluder.
Quicker than trickling... and as quick as the "Sublimator"

It works ( and no fiddly messing with sticky syringes and calculations ) OR opening up hives!

Also used on standard OMF Nationals.. below the mesh without any problem

That would be me it was expensive but worth every penny.

Yes, it is you HH, i like the speed at which it can be used at, especially if using just a hole in the side of each hive,plus the fact it works under pressure with regulated heat,so no waiting between hives, treat one hive while filling the spare oxalic holder, fit that one and straight to next hive while filling the spare holder again..no delays at all.

I have a vaporizer i don't use which i could do with selling, if any one's interested pm me and i will put it in the for sale section.

Good video link - thanks. Youtube also gave me the following links:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARK2tyXFfrU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SgYR3uZTE

I must say that at first I found the rather generous amounts of OA used, and the deployment of a 'paint stripper' rather OTT ... that is, until I 'warmed' (pun intentional) to the idea by watching both videos a couple of times. Once I became familiar with the process, it didn't then seem quite so bizarre.

But - I really don't like the manner in which clouds of vapour are waved around in such a cavalier manner. Full operator protection absolutely essential here ...

However - it's one method of treating a LOT of hives in a reasonable timescale. Pity about needing a 240V power supply, though.

At the moment I'm working on a budget method of vapourising a handful of hives at once, using a method not dissimilar to the Varrox, but with temperature control and automatic shut-off etc. - one Master, and as many Slaves as your power supply will stand. Five minutes (say) to treat half-a-dozen hives. Could still be useful, but to be realistic can't see it competing with the above system for really big hive numbers.

LJ

Like i said its not cheap. As for all the other kit needed i had the battery and decent quality respirator already for the varrox, got an inverter for £30. i have found the biggest factor is time saved. As the sublimox is constantly hot you simply go from hive to hive treating no cooling needed. As i dont use mesh floors the cost of changing to mesh floors would have been almost as much as the cost of the sublimox.

By the time one has forked out for all the kit needed for the Sublimox and transformer etc and bearing in mind the exchange rate for imported (Italian Lira)

Italian Lira?

Are we somehow back in 1998 ?

Italian Lira?

Are we somehow back in 1998 ?

Sorry - anno domini problem. Cannot see Euro lasting anyway - never was a goer for anybody with common sense.

Latest posts

Back