Oxalic acid vap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul4848

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, as only having 8 hives I would like to purchase an oxalic acid vaporiser but not spend a fortune. Instavap looks amazing but not sure I can warrant the costs. Is there a decent vap wand that you would recommend at all?

Even cheeaper on Amazon, £18.95​

Oxalic Acid Vaporizer for Bee MITE Treatment Hive Tools, Beekeeping Tools Evaporator for Treating Bee Varroa Mites 12V 150W​

Brand: MEETOZ

The downside of this cheaper one is that, unlike the Varrox type, it has an aluminium pan where the handle/rod is fitted in to the pan. They have a tendency to fail where the rod is fixed into the aluminum pan. They are also not as quick to sublimate the OA. As a cheap, short term, fix - yes go for it -half a loaf is better than none. If you are going to use it long term ... the Varrox type is a better option. The varrox type has an element that wraps around the pan - much better.

There are cheap pan sublimators available ...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/fruugo-cheap-kit-for-the-frugal.56008/
The Gas vap is popular and does not cost a fortune.

https://www.bridge-cottage.com/store
You need a bit of PPE - faccemask and eye protection as well.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/masks-filters-for-oxalic.54286/
But, once you have the kit it's there for your use every time ..
As I understand it the Gas Vap is great if you only have a few hives to do (I would think your 8 counts as that) A lot more its all too much of a faff with breaking heat sources and blocked tubes.

The varrox pan on Frugo is ok , I have one. Cost was about £26 delivered which took about a fortnight.
I desoldered the croc clips and fitted an XT60 connector (for safety) to suit my small lithium battery packs
Buy a car starter/booster lipo kit from ebay for about the same money for your 8 hives. Though with 8 hives I would opt if not buying the expensive vaping options for two pans and two batteries.
Gas vap is like marmite , I have one but no longer use it .
I prefer the pan type as then I don't have to stay in contact with them , unlike the gas vap.

It will depend on the battery used , if a heavy SLA then no issue .
If the smaller 3 or 4ah lithium then one might not get 8 vapes out of a battery.
For the latter one would need a parallel 2 to 1 connection of some type.

Hi, as only having 8 hives I would like to purchase an oxalic acid vaporiser but not spend a fortune. Instavap looks amazing but not sure I can warrant the costs. Is there a decent vap wand that you would recommend at all?
I have 10 colonies and really like my GasVap. I bought the torch they sell, spare caps so it’s quick to swap over and take a skewer with me in case the nozzle gets blocked although that hasn’t been too much of an issue.
If you have nucs or poly hives, buy the nozzle extension as well and do invest in proper PPE. You can’t replace your lungs….

The varrox pan on Frugo is ok , I have one. Cost was about £26 delivered which took about a fortnight.
I desoldered the croc clips and fitted an XT60 connector (for safety) to suit my small lithium battery packs
Buy a car starter/booster lipo kit from ebay for about the same money for your 8 hives. Though with 8 hives I would opt if not buying the expensive vaping options for two pans and two batteries.
Gas vap is like marmite , I have one but no longer use it .
I prefer the pan type as then I don't have to stay in contact with them , unlike the gas vap.
Hi, i am interested in the car starter/booster lipo kit is used instead of a car battery?? Do you have a link as i cant pin it down on ebay Search. Oh and is it just a time thing hence advising two pans and two batteries? Sorry, but i have no idea :)

Hi, i am interested in the car starter/booster lipo kit is used instead of a car battery?? Do you have a link as i cant pin it down on ebay Search. Oh and is it just a time thing hence advising two pans and two batteries? Sorry, but i have no idea :)
Just put Car Jump Starter into Amazon.
I bought one that delivered 600A 18000 mAh 12V in 2016 and it powered the pan for 8 hives if I was quick.
Most of them are much more powerful these days
You don't need two pans for 4 hives
It still starts the car

I like the gas vap but it hasn’t been without issue for me. I started vaping through the entrance as per demonstration videos but found it was a very tight fit and would get stuck….perhaps I was a little heavy handed with it but the copper seems surprisingly easy to become distorted, especially when hot. The result was that the cap wouldn’t fit snugly anymore and vapour would escape when in use…there’s no way to knock it back into shape so it was effectively useless from this point. I had to buy a new one.

Now I vape through a hole I’ve drilled at the back of my floor, which provides a loose fit for the nozzle. Much better.

Something like this 8000mah/8ah booster will be ok.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starter-Po...0557585&sprefix=car+starter+,aps,2383&sr=8-58
I haven't looked at them in a while and prices seemed to have jumped alarmingly , looks like anything lithium battery related has seen price inflation/profiteering.

One also has to be wary of the claims of 20000mah - 99800mah for the battery capacity as the claims are absurd and falsly marketed.

Yes two batteries and two pans just cuts down the time, if in no real hurry then one pan and one battery is ok.

The pan type allows the user to walk away up wind away from the harmful vapes , I found the gasvap allows particles to settle on ones clothing/beesuit because of the close proximity of having to hold the item. It doesn't mitigate not using a mask but one is well away from any particle fall out for much of the time.

I found the gasvap allows particles to settle on ones clothing/beesuit because of the close proximity of having to hold the item
yes, people tend to forget their clothing/beesuit gets slathered in it when using gasvap and similar hand held delivery systems, then get a gobful of OA when they remove the mask and change their outer clothing.

yes, people tend to forget their clothing/beesuit gets slathered in it when using gasvap and similar hand held delivery systems, then get a gobful of OA when they remove the mask and change their outer clothing.
Something like coal dust in a miners kitchen with the bath in front of the fire 🔥🤔

I have 10 colonies and really like my GasVap. I bought the torch they sell, spare caps so it’s quick to swap over and take a skewer with me in case the nozzle gets blocked although that hasn’t been too much of an issue.
If you have nucs or poly hives, buy the nozzle extension as well and do invest in proper PPE. You can’t replace your lungs….
I have bought a Gasvap and will use it in the next few weeks. Do I need to block,up the floors of the hives before use? I bought the full kit. Do you have any tips for me?

Latest posts

Back