cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi,

I'm new to beekeeping. I have purchased some old national cedar hives. Apart from flame sterilising their interiors, I want to clean/restore the exterior wood with oxalic acid.
Would you use the acid as is, ie 1 to 1 for wood treatment or dilute it? if so what dilution? Thanks for suggestions and help.

Hi,

I'm new to beekeeping. I have purchased some old national cedar hives. Apart from flame sterilising their interiors, I want to clean/restore the exterior wood with oxalic acid.
Would you use the acid as is, ie 1 to 1 for wood treatment or dilute it? if so what dilution? Thanks for suggestions and help.
Blimey, a beekeeper using OA for ACTUALLY cleaning beehive woodwork! That must be a first! 😂

Its a thousand times easier and quicker and you don't have dust and fibres everywhere!

If you buy dry crystals youll find the product more versatile.... :unsure:
Ifind keeping it diluted too strong pointless because you have to scrape away the detritus it creates and then reapply.

Hi,

You actually use oxalic to clean wood………😉

Agreed if you sublimate it, but the solution isn't volatile.
It does a great job of bleaching patches on your clothes which then disintegrate into holes .... be careful with it ...rubber gloves, don't get it on bare flesh .. some protection for your clothes and DEFINITELY for your eyes.

Brings stained wood up a treat but if they are cedar hives ... I would not bother !

Back