Fogger v Vaporization with Gas Vape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polymath

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 - 20
Looking a the Gas Vap, so the full kit is

Store

£92 plus I would want say another few caps so call it £100 all in.

Fogger is £120,

VAROMOR FOGGER OXALIC ACID VAPORIZER TREATMENT BEE VARROA MITES VAROMORUS | eBay

So in effect both solutions are pretty much the same price, which would you get? This year i used a mixture of a wand with battery and a fogger of a friend, latter was certainly easier and quicker. So will definitely move to one of these two but any thoughts welcome on which is better.

I think the gas vap looks more practically made, perhaps a little more robust. Not seen either in the flesh but those are my initial thoughts.

I’ve got both, the Gas Vap is easier to use and doesn’t require mixing of a solution.

you need to make sure you keep the tube clear in the Gas Vap (using the dosing cup handle), it also gets very hot and you need leather gloves and a pan of water to cool the caps down.

I couldn’t get the Varomor to not spit a bit, but I was just testing using distilled water.

i‘m a first year beekeeper

I’ve got both, the Gas Vap is easier to use and doesn’t require mixing of a solution.

you need to make sure you keep the tube clear in the Gas Vap (using the dosing cup handle), it also gets very hot and you need leather gloves and a pan of water to cool the caps down.

I couldn’t get the Varomor to not spit a bit, but I was just testing using distilled water.

I accidentally discovered the jaws of a frame handler useful for removing the hot cap from the gas cap. (There IS a use for those things that come in beginners kit packages along with leather gloves after all)

Store

Fogger is £120,

VAROMOR FOGGER OXALIC ACID VAPORIZER TREATMENT BEE VARROA MITES VAROMORUS | eBay

So in effect both solutions are pretty much the same price, which would you get? This year i used a mixture of a wand with battery and a fogger of a friend, latter was certainly easier and quicker. So will definitely move to one of these two but any thoughts welcome on which is better.

I would not touch the fogger with YOUR bargepole let alone mine !

" As a solvent can be used:

91% isopropyl alcohol, ethanol 96%, Alcohol 91%, vodka, purified kerosene or distilled water.

UNQUOTE

That's really going to do your bees a lot of good ... blasting them with heated alcohol or Kerosene ! If you are going to use water as the solvent for the OA you might as well just trickle it.

If you want to SUBLIMATE OA then get a SUBLIMATOR ... Foggers are something different (and don't work that well anyway !)

Search for Gasvap Modifications in here ....

If you can silver solder, make your own Gasvap. Quite satisfying, especially as you can tweek it to fit your requirements. A longer spout for one.

Don't be cheap, get a sublimox or similar.

I'm by far not the quickest on my feet at the moment as the biological med has stopped working, but still managed to vape 87 colonies on four sites yesterday, on my own, I've paid for it today though.
one & only major criticism of the machine, is the O rings on the caps are crap.
I still have to teach the apprentice how to treat with oxalic, drizzle & vape, as she will be starting her final year in February, but that's Sunday work.

My question is,

Do we have another Sublimox, or an instavap ??.

I have an inverter hard wired into the vehicle for occasional use in the summer and all but one site I can park at the hives.
I would be really interested in people's views on this.

I have a Gasvap, it works fine, I can't see the benefit in fogging a solution over sublimation. I saw the big cloud of sublimate when I inadvertently did it not in a hive - huge cloud! Had to chase the chickens away (I was in an ffp3 mask).
Perhaps I should do it again and video it! Certainly convinced me it will get everywhere in a hive.

Don't be cheap, get a sublimox or similar.

I'm by far not the quickest on my feet at the moment as the biological med has stopped working, but still managed to vape 87 colonies on four sites yesterday, on my own, I've paid for it today though.
one & only major criticism of the machine, is the O rings on the caps are crap.
I still have to teach the apprentice how to treat with oxalic, drizzle & vape, as she will be starting her final year in February, but that's Sunday work.

My question is,

Do we have another Sublimox, or an instavap ??.

I have an inverter hard wired into the vehicle for occasional use in the summer and all but one site I can park at the hives.
I would be really interested in people's views on this.
Instantvap. If you get the 18v version you don't trip over leads.

Store

Fogger is £120,

I have a GasVap and really like it for ease of use. A pair of pliers to remove the hot cap & into a mug of cold water. And a pair of welders gloves so you don’t burn your hands. I don’t have loads of hives so preload the caps with OA (worth buying a few extra IMHO). Quick, simple, small and not an expensive bit of kit.

Thats something Id do but in this rarest of cases I wouldnt simply out of respect for the manufacturer.He's offered a good product at a very fair price which is uncommon in the beekeeping world.
Back when he started, he did give out instructions on how to make your own. I thanked him at one of the shows, and now direct other beekeepers to his product.

I have a GasVap and really like it for ease of use. A pair of pliers to remove the hot cap & into a mug of cold water. And a pair of welders gloves so you don’t burn your hands. I don’t have loads of hives so preload the caps with OA (worth buying a few extra IMHO). Quick, simple, small and not an expensive bit of kit.
I have a Gasvap, it works fine, I can't see the benefit in fogging a solution over sublimation. I saw the big cloud of sublimate when I inadvertently did it not in a hive - huge cloud! Had to chase the chickens away (I was in an ffp3 mask).
Perhaps I should do it again and video it! Certainly convinced me it will get everywhere in a hive.
What butane torch do you use? The two I have (Cadrim & 901) don't fit into the gadget easily and are unreliable. I seem to have mislaid/lent someone the better Rekrow RK2121.

I made a reducing bush from some 22mm copper pipe and use the cheapest automatic lamp heads I can get on eBay.They last 2-3years which isnt bad for around a fiver
I can then use propane/butane mix cans in winter -although if it's too cold for butane alone you're possibly wasting your time vaping anyway

Back when he started, he did give out instructions on how to make your own. I thanked him at one of the shows, and now direct other beekeepers to his product.
The instructions are still on here if you care to search but ... his product is not expensive for what it is and I doubt John is getting rich on the sales so I'm not posting a link. If you have the kit to braze, a bit of patience, time and about £15 for the pipe and fittings (if they are not lurking in your shed) it's not rocket science to make your own and save a few quid.

Agree. I have one too. V convenient and easy to use. Only thing I'd add to the shopping list if buying one is the pipe extention which is needed if vaping poly nucs through the entrance (doesn't get as hot as the main pipe which is too short).
I have a Sublimox as well, which is the best when doing winter treatment on all my colonies, but requires lugging the battery about. I got the Gas Vap to treat a one off colony, on my own.

What butane torch do you use? The two I have (Cadrim & 901) don't fit into the gadget easily and are unreliable. I seem to have mislaid/lent someone the better Rekrow RK2121.
It’s a Sondiko one. From memory I had problems finding one with the right diameter nozzle to fit the GasVap.

I use a cobblers pincers with a V cut out of the jaws to remove the cap. The pincers has been handed down through generations and looks as if it was forged on the side of the road by a travelling blacksmith.

Latest posts

Back