Mrs T

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Disappointed you right wingers havent been singing the praises of Mrs T.
I was unemployed or in low paid work for most of the 80s, so I have a somewhat negative view of her.

I have just been on another forum looking at the veiws of some on the same subject. It has become very unsavery and I am thinking of loggin out for good.
I do hope it dosent get has spitefull,hatefull and disgusting on this site.
For good or bad the dead should rest in peace.
Ian.

She stood up to the Argies which I admired - but she buggered up my community with the way she laid waste to the mining industry.
The Aman valley is at the edge of the South West Wales coalfield, but it wasn't pleasant at that time, and we've never properly recovered. No direct members of my family in the industry then but SWMBO's father was a miner and they had a terrible time, right down to the bones of their a*se they were.
I hope SWMBO has forgotten her vow to go to the funeral dressed all in red and dance in front of the coffin waving a miners lamp :eek:

The Guardian sums her up:

The UK's first female prime minister changed the way Britons viewed politics and economics and the way Britain was viewed around the world

http://tinyurl.com/cgyugeu

:leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving:

a legacy of privileges and wealth creation for the few.............

I will never forget the Lady stating that her party should not bother with "Humdrum things such as the ENVIRONMENT"..... to be continued!

Totally agree with Ian Howarth, another human being has died and everyone should respect that. Regardless of politics she has left loved ones and we should not show any disrepsect on this forum.

I was a student at Sussex Uni when her hotel got bombed. Never liked her, but she won 3 general elections which shows plenty did. In a democracy we should respect the decision of the people, even though they often get it wrong! I have some admiration for her leadership and adherence to her principles, but not too sure about her economics. She's passed away, so RIP.

I feel no connection at all with growing up hating some ruthless, rancid witch who seemed to delight in trampling on whole communities in her zeal to impose her dominance over the trade unions, and the rather sad feeling of sympathy I now have for the family of an old lady with dementia who has passed away.

A colleague of mine's dad is a chelsea pensioner - when he went visiting he would often see Mrs Thatcher in the hospital gardens with her carer (she lived nearby and had use of the grounds.)
As Bill said to me - whatever she was when she was in power, now she's just a frail little old lady (even SWMBO) has some sympathy for her.

Ditto!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree ... she changed the whole political landscape in the UK .. took office after the 'winter of discontent' when we had bodies unburied, garbage in the streets and electricity on half rations and (I say this as a proud Yorkshireman from a mining family) she took on that idiot Arthur Scargill (NOT THE MINERS - there was no national ballot) who actually brought about the demise of the UK mining industry through his intractability and stupidity. She had some bottle and there is no present political party who would now want to go back to the Britain we had before her.

She lost the plot in her later years in office and like many long serving prime ministers felt that she did not need to heed the ideas or concerns of those around her. She would have been better thought of if she had gone sooner but her vision that Government should only do what they have to do and not interfere with individual lives I believe was a good one. Let people take responsibility for their own lives and give them the means to do it.

We've lost some of that vision over the last 20 years or so.

An apt thought for moments such as this

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”

- Martin Luther King

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”

- Martin Luther King

Too true

- Martin Luther King

An almost correct quote, apparently: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/anatomy-of-a-fake-quotation/238257/

Funnily enough, I spent a while trying to find a recording of her saying "Rejoice" in response to the sinking of the Belgrano - which turns out to be my own fake memory

I was always taught "Not to speak ill of the dead" .
Under Maggies' rule , interest rates (mortgage) were 15 1/4 per cent!
Houses were affordable ! Banks actually paid interest !
I also worked down a coal mine and did a stint in the armed forces , now retired with little disposable income , I can't get a return on savings to even keep up with inflation .
There were idle shiftless people during ww2 but the trend has increased to the point where it's become fashionable in large areas,
No government has got it right since feudal times !
The British revolution quickly led to the reformation when the republicans realised it wasn't to be all plain sailing!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back