Thermodynamics question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you haven't read it? it's probably the most highly referenced paper on bees in their natural environment.
Since you've read it you can summarise what it says about the topic at hand for us.

Having looked inside trees, it is an observation.
However, we are moving away from the OP which was originally an off topic question.
Hence the post is in the off topic section. 😎
My original thought in posting was to pose the question - was keeping a building at an elevated "set back" temperature when not requiring "comfort" occupied temperatures sensible, efficient or wasteful. Putting it more succinctly I think going for a high set back is forgetting newton's law of cooling which Derek has mentioned in another thread. As such it seems wasteful. Someone mentioned heat pumps should be used with increased insulation. This logically leads to the thought that if the insulation is increased sufficiently why bother with the expense, inconvenience and strain on the national grid of swapping to a heat pump?

Hence the post is in the off topic section. 😎
My original thought in posting was to pose the question - was keeping a building at an elevated "set back" temperature when not requiring "comfort" occupied temperatures sensible, efficient or wasteful. Putting it more succinctly I think going for a high set back is forgetting newton's law of cooling which Derek has mentioned in another thread. As such it seems wasteful. Someone mentioned heat pumps should be used with increased insulation. This logically leads to the thought that if the insulation is increased sufficiently why bother with the expense, inconvenience and strain on the national grid of swapping to a heat pump?
Yes go the whole hog and have it heated purely by humans and the other things they use that generate heat. Passiv Haus was term that was in vogue as set of standards to do this. Issues that came were high humidity and condensation effecting the building materials from the neccessity to be air tight apart from human CO2 air change requirements. This can be overcome by having a cold spot specifically to cause condensation in controlled place and vapour retardant rather than vapour proof membranes at ceiling level.
I found that bit out because someone wouldnt take it as read that humidity goes up when you insulate a building with animals in it and I had to go find a reference. So now its part of my general knowledge sloshing around upstairs.

Last edited:
Yes go the whole hog and have it heated purely by humans and the other things they use that generate heat. Passiv Haus was term that was in vogue as set of standards to do this. Issues that came were high humidity and condensation effecting the building materials from the neccessity to be air tight apart from human CO2 air change requirements. This can be overcome by having a cold spot specifically to cause condensation in controlled place and vapour retardant rather than vapour proof membranes at ceiling level.
I found that bit out because someone wouldnt take it as read that humidity goes up when you insulate a building with animals in it and I had to go find a reference. So now its part of my general knowledge sloshing around upstairs.
Good to know thanks Derek. Now you've said that I'll store it in memory.👍

I am awaiting for the Government's long promised bonfire of EU regulations to provide an endless supply of red tape that I can burn for warmth.
I have ben holding my breath for it for three years.
I suppose it takes time for the civil service to change all the EU red tape (which has also UK red tape) to UK-only red tape. In the end I imagine it will be much the same but with different letterheads, apart from all the extra customs red tape.:)

Back