Online shopping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This post probably only applies to folk in N Ireland. But I am so annoyed at the online shops adding a surcharge for sending stuff to NI. I would not mind but one store let me place an order which took ages as I was comparing prices etc and theirs was the most competitive, they quoted a shipping price and I duly paid for the order. It was only a few days later when I rang them that I found out the order was not being sent until I paid an extra 12.99. I told them to keep it. To add insult to injury they have not yet refunded my money.
THEN I decided to get the order from another online store who offered free shipping if order over 150.00 - 100 if in the rest of the UK. This was fine untill I tried to add sale items which were not actually on sale for online orders. This was OK I accepted this untill it came to seeing the amount spent. Even though I was paying the full price and this was mentioned a few times, it did not come up in the total price of the order meaning I had to add more items to get to 150. I got sorted in the end by leaving out the "sale" items but what a crazy system.
Could some kind person please open a nice Bee supply shop in NI. I did try the one in the south but unfortunately it was to expensive.
The steam has left my ears now and the rant is over - sorry. I haven't mentioned name of the shops but they are the two main ones beginning with T and M

This post probably only applies to folk in N Ireland. But I am so annoyed at the online shops adding a surcharge for sending stuff to NI. I would not mind but one store let me place an order which took ages as I was comparing prices etc and theirs was the most competitive, they quoted a shipping price and I duly paid for the order. It was only a few days later when I rang them that I found out the order was not being sent until I paid an extra 12.99. I told them to keep it. To add insult to injury they have not yet refunded my money.
THEN I decided to get the order from another online store who offered free shipping if order over 150.00 - 100 if in the rest of the UK. This was fine untill I tried to add sale items which were not actually on sale for online orders. This was OK I accepted this untill it came to seeing the amount spent. Even though I was paying the full price and this was mentioned a few times, it did not come up in the total price of the order meaning I had to add more items to get to 150. I got sorted in the end by leaving out the "sale" items but what a crazy system.
Could some kind person please open a nice Bee supply shop in NI. I did try the one in the south but unfortunately it was to expensive.
The steam has left my ears now and the rant is over - sorry. I haven't mentioned name of the shops but they are the two main ones beginning with T and M
Burkes Bee supplies, Armagh Road out of Portadown. They're reasonably price. Not a massive array but they stock poly/wood hives and nucs, treatments, tools, suits, extractors etc.

Burkes Bee supplies, Armagh Road out of Portadown. They're reasonably price. Not a massive array but they stock poly/wood hives and nucs, treatments, tools, suits, extractors etc.
Thank you for this!! Will look them up though hopefully won't need to spend any more money on equipment.

Are these costs related to the B word, or to actual cost of transport of any other goods?
The cost of shipping was 9 pounds then they wanted 12 pounds more. But even thought I cancelled they took the money. They haven't replied to my email yet. Its B who did this. Very annoying as they were cheaper.

You should try living in the Isle of Man! I fully accept that there should be a surcharge to get stuff over here but it makes no sense to me when postage is free from England, Wales or Scotland to Northern Ireland, but it costs to send to the IOM. The package would fly over/sail past the Island on its way! Some retailers very generously include the IOM in the free postage offers if you buy enough which is good of them. It’s my choice to live here though so I’ll shut up and stop ranting now 😁

Yes, very lucky we don’t have that yet 🤞 interestingly though, as we don’t have that, we do get braula which I think you don’t have too much of as it’s eradicated when you treat for varroa. We had some inspectors over administering the basic bee assessment and were amazed to see one when we went through some of the hives.

Well the B could stand for all of those I guess. But M are the ones who still have my money. Still haven't replied.

Latest posts

Back