Thornes Open Day Sale 2020 - Online

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How different we all are. I have really enjoyed my priority supermarket slots and would be happy to never see the inside of any shop again. As for kit, I’d ask you lot for a recommendation 😃
I would be careful buying kit from the Cornwall area after my recent experience.

I recall going to a York bka bee auction some years ago when bidding was slow. The auctioneer said items were vastly underpriced and quoted a couple of items prices from the Thorne's Catalogue. Some wag in the crowd announced in a theatrical whisper "that's why we shop on eBay".
I buy from all over, some things from Thorne's, some things from eBay shops but Abelo are almost on my doorstep so naturally I like to drive over in normal times and I really like the Lyson kit they sell. Plus I get a chance for a natter with Damien.

I have not really been a fan of online shopping as I always liked to see the goods in situ.
After a recent experience buying from a supply company in Cornwall this has strengthened this viewpoint.
I bought several observation crown boards made from paulownia wood.
The boards are not as expected.
The 2 feeding holes have been placed too close to the wooden frame so that a syrup feeder does not fit flush causing the problem of bees escaping up the gap or if I place the feeder flush over the polycarbonate hole space the feeder only allows small partial access for the bees to enter to feed.
The owners response has been...Not a Problem they ( the bees) Have access and when I responded that the boards were not correctly made I have been ghosted.
I will be sticking with Thornes in future as in my experience shopping online has been buyer beware!

Attachments

• D616B9B9-19FC-4A6F-A925-ECE2386A4D36.jpeg
    D616B9B9-19FC-4A6F-A925-ECE2386A4D36.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • E78418DA-C9FB-43D5-8240-E14EE78AAB2E.jpeg
    E78418DA-C9FB-43D5-8240-E14EE78AAB2E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

Attachments

• 1E770465-94D8-4D16-963E-5889C312155A.jpeg
    1E770465-94D8-4D16-963E-5889C312155A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
The feeder hole does not match up with the rapid feeder.

The board feeder hole does not fit flush with the rapid feeder to allow full access for the bees to the syrup feed

Also a bought a wbc EKE which has an overhang and not fitting correctly and again the supplier said Not his problem if the boxes do not come from his company.
I always thought the dimensions of Wbc hives and standard National hives were universal? Have I missed something here? Apart from being out of pocket

did you try the middle hole?
I am so glad you asked me that..... because there is no middle hole.
There are 2 feeder holes each positioned at outer edge of the board.

I am so glad you asked me that..... because there is no middle hole.
There are 2 feeder holes each positioned at outer edge of the board.
I also bought a replacement wbc roof which leaves a lot to be desired. Sharp exposed metal edges, and a lack of staples leaving gaps which will allow damp in. Am I being too picky?

Attachments

• 34CE3286-3DFB-43B2-BE06-DFFA8FFCD413.jpeg
    34CE3286-3DFB-43B2-BE06-DFFA8FFCD413.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Speybee. <There are 2 feeder holes each positioned at outer edge of the board.>

I'm not sure these holes are intended for feeding. More likely a hangover from when beekeepers used 'Porter bee escapes' to clear supers.

Canadian style clearing boards (little cones) are better for this job IMO.

Fred.

Speybee. <There are 2 feeder holes each positioned at outer edge of the board.>

I'm not sure these holes are intended for feeding. More likely a hangover from when beekeepers used 'Porter bee escapes' to clear supers.

Canadian style clearing boards (little cones) are better for this job IMO.

Fred.
Hi Fred
I specifically enquired by email about the suitability of these boards for feeding using the rapid feeder.
The feeder holes on the polycarbonate holes are round so would not fit a porter escape anyway. Either way these boards are not fit to use.
As for the new wbc roof will have to repair it. Also bought an extra Ashforth feeder....the inside finish has to be seen to be believed, looks like jagged artex around the inner seams.
I was just sharing my very recent experience of online shopping with this particular company in Cornwall.
Once bitten and twice shy!

Hi speybee.

I use Ashforth feeders and find them great.

Pity about the quality of your roof . I know it will look nice on your WBC hive. For my national hives I like flat roofs for when I place them on the ground (upside down) I have somewhere nice and level to place supers which shouldn't be allowed to touch the ground.

Fred.

Abelo is cheaper for a lot of stuff, they also have a first rate customer service/engagement.
Thornes have always been geared up for the hobbyist with money to spend on gadgets and who don't always worry about the cost (remember that 'modern' beekeeping in this country was once primarily the pastime of dilettante middle class retirees and retired colonial colonels!)
However, their 'second quality' hive parts and frames, very much like Maisemore's are hard to beat on cost or quality. You usually find that most of us have different 'favourite' suppliers for different things.
It pays to shop around, especially with the new players now on the market such as Ian at Old Castle farm, Simon the Beekeeper, and others.
always shop around and Abelo always ends up the 'winner checked with the 2 you mention too

I have found Abello is cheaper plus good quality & fast delivery

I love the Abelo hives but I guess that, by definition, you aren't going to get them anywhere else. Does Abelo do end of season sales too?

I love the Abelo hives but I guess that, by definition, you aren't going to get them anywhere else. Does Abelo do end of season sales too?
They are actually available in Ireland via Donegal Bees.

Abelo have a few sales throughout the year, I usually order stuff in the New Year Sale which is typically 10% off but they had an open day before which gave 15% off.

They are actually available in Ireland via Donegal Bees.

Abelo have a few sales throughout the year, I usually order stuff in the New Year Sale which is typically 10% off but they had an open day before which gave 15% off.

Thank-you for that. I checked it out and the Donegal standard prices are higher than Abelo. But it also enlightened me that these are Lyson products with Abelo badging so I searched their site; but they don't list Nationals. I'm pennypinching in any case; the Abelo hives are excellent quality, well-priced and as said previously, the company gives great service. :)

Latest posts

Back