mk2 wasp traps blue peter version

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so again I'll be tinkering in the shed on another design

many thanks to Karol for all the info

for those that are interested in making their own, tinkering is finished, I now have a mk1-mk3 version, following our chinese cousins I've copied a design that's out there, of course the proof will be in the pudding as they say

I made some low efficiency traps out of pop bottles because the wasps had already found my hives.
Although there has been a high number of wasps this year mainly two types bothering my hives v.vulgaris and v.germanicus or something like that I am happy that no harm has been done to either the bees or the wasp colonies. Healthy colonies with small entrances seems to have been fine, although I did have to move a nuc a few feet and put a trap where it was.

The only real winner has been the chickens.

Rather than going on a kill everything mission maybe changing the entrance design of the hives would be better in the end for all concerned.

yeah, sorry about that, seem's my being a tight wad and making a trap from pop bottles has ruffled a few feathers and I got asked to remove it for infringement of copying a patient.....

So is it back to the old mk 1 model... how many do you hope to manufacture each week.

Are you going to put video back up now then?

not at this immediate moment I'm not, unlike shop bought traps, I've no statistics on how good or bad this will work, so I will wait until next wasp season and try it out on my woodland apiaries, of course I will stick a go pro on it for 2 hours so we can see if any wasps that go in, come back out.

my earlier post was more a way of announcing my innocence, I had been lead to believe, that my pottering in the shed with empty pop bottles was going to land me in court, but on phoning the patents office and explaining what I had done, ie make a wasp trap from rubbish and posting a video of it, was given the reply both verbally and via email.
quote;
it may be worth pointing out that you cannot be sued for infringement unless you are both making and selling an infringing idea. Merely telling other people about it is not a problem.

I never had visions of being a millionaire this time next year, nor was I going to go into production and sales, I was merely hoping to help a few other beekeepers with another alternative idea for a homemade trap
I can fully understand why I was asked to remove the video, as my trap costing 62p to make, might damage sales of an item costing £££'s

thankfully fawns have not been in touch asking me to remove the video of the homemade honey warming cabinet

not at this immediate moment I'm not, unlike shop bought traps, I've no statistics on how good or bad this will work, so I will wait until next wasp season and try it out on my woodland apiaries, of course I will stick a go pro on it for 2 hours so we can see if any wasps that go in, come back out.

my earlier post was more a way of announcing my innocence, I had been lead to believe, that my pottering in the shed with empty pop bottles was going to land me in court, but on phoning the patents office and explaining what I had done, ie make a wasp trap from rubbish and posting a video of it, was given the reply both verbally and via email.
quote;
it may be worth pointing out that you cannot be sued for infringement unless you are both making and selling an infringing idea. Merely telling other people about it is not a problem.

I never had visions of being a millionaire this time next year, nor was I going to go into production and sales, I was merely hoping to help a few other beekeepers with another alternative idea for a homemade trap
I can fully understand why I was asked to remove the video, as my trap costing 62p to make, might damage sales of an item costing £££'s

thankfully fawns have not been in touch asking me to remove the video of the homemade honey warming cabinet

I will put a £20 bet (down to charity) that your trap will be very effective. It would be good to have a parallel test between your trap and the wasp****

I have read the patent on the Wasp****. It was an interesting read. There is really only the double chamber issue that would be 'defendable' anyway.

Latest posts

Back