Alot of Activity

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just been watching the hive for the last hour, theres been alot of bees around the entrance, not many going in or out, they seemed to be getting quite aggressive over something, so i put on my suit and put a little smoke into the entrance to the hive, didn't seem to do much good so i opened the hive up. I only have a BB no Supers as this is a new colony. They have put comb on another 4 frames, both sides, there is lots of brood and lots of capped honey, and all of a sudden out pops HM the queen, marked and clipped. Looks like my bees are doing just fine. The only explanation for all the activity at the entrance was down to a wasp popping in and out. I've setup a wasp trap now so that should stop it. They are all nice and calm again now ;)

When I checked mine yesterday morning they all seemed to have lots of guards around the entrance, some were stopping drones from entering others were fending off the odd wasp. Difficult to say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of my colonies is trying to rob the others but one thing for sure they were all noisier than normal, so some thing is getting them excited.

When I checked mine yesterday morning they all seemed to have lots of guards around the entrance, some were stopping drones from entering others were fending off the odd wasp. Difficult to say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of my colonies is trying to rob the others but one thing for sure they were all noisier than normal, so some thing is getting them excited.

Yeah, mine are making quite alot of noise too Mike. There seems to be alot of gaurds too..... is the world coming to an end? lol bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back