Honey prices?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Maz, it will go back into the bees. from the first few sales this has more or less bought half a gross of jars, the labels and some foundation for next year so all the sales from now will be excess to go back into the bees.

The next venture I'll try is to do something with old wax.

I inherited a lot of bees and equipment a few years ago and there is probably between 5-10kg of old wax to clean etc.

Still trying to work out what some of the equipment is that I've got as well. :hairpull:

Take some pics of the equipment and post them on here, you'l soon get some responses. :hat:

Not sure if I am selling too cheap but I've sold my first lot of honey this week to work colleagues and got a bit of a shock.

I put a note on the notice board that I am selling 1lb jars of honey for £5 and by the end of the day I'd sold 15 jars.

I didn't expect so many people to be interested and already getting requests from "friends of friends" and I know neighbours want some.

Its been the first year I have extracted and got 50lb from 2 supers and very pleased.

I wouldn't be able to eat it all myself so decided to sell it.

It makes me proud to know I'm selling good quality local produce to a few people and if this helps me cut the cost of the beekeeping year then all well and good.

I'm not in this for the money but the enjoyment of beekeeping so this is a bonus for me.

I don't think at a stage at the moment to supply more anyway.

Maybe I'll think about smaller jars in the future.
Remember you may get none next year! I always keep two years worth of honey, allowing for spontaneous gifts that's 50 jars a year so I have 100 jars available to me at the end of extraction! You get very tempted to sell it because people want it and then you run out yourself!
E

I've only just found this thread, I've been working away so haven't been on for a while.

I have been asked to supply a local produce shop, their current supplier is a bee farmer and he's stopping selling to shops and is only selling wholesale.
I can see why after finding out what he's been charging them for it!
he supplies..

140g/5oz jars at £1.40 each
340g/12oz jars at £3.25

firstly, I cannot fathom the logic, if you take the smaller jar first, that's a penny per gram, or 28p per oz, so logically you'd think the larger jar would be £3.36.

This equates to £4.48 per Pound including additional costs which seems way to low to me taking into account Jars, labels, delivery and time.

The big difference I suppose is that I am a hobbyist, I don't get thousands of LB's of Honey, I don't have an enormous extractor and dedicated honey room and I don't buy Jars a thousand at a time.

Obviously it's up to them what mark up they add but knowing that they sell at more than double this, that's 100% or more.

I do want to supply them but I'm thinking I should be selling at a minimum of 30p per Oz.

Opinions????

Sorry to hijack the thread, I hadn't intended on such a long comment and it is relevant :)

Last edited:
You offer it at what you want an d see if they agree.
E

About correct for 227g... 8oz 1/2 lb.....

....and before you have even added in you time at basic living wage.. you will decide that you should take up carp fishing or ocean yacht sailing as they are far cheaper hobbies!!!

sorry:ot:

I suspect most of us, if worked out an hourly rate, would be on about 50p per hour! It's a passtime or a passion, rather than a business venture. However unlike yachting, or golf, it should pay it's way at the very least.

I suspect most of us, if worked out an hourly rate, would be on about 50p per hour! It's a passtime or a passion, rather than a business venture. However unlike yachting, or golf, it should pay it's way at the very least.

Haha! I am definitely not in positive numbers!

Remember you may get none next year! I always keep two years worth of honey, allowing for spontaneous gifts that's 50 jars a year so I have 100 jars available to me at the end of extraction! You get very tempted to sell it because people want it and then you run out yourself!
E

How much do you eat each year?:laughing-smiley-004

I put a note on the notice board that I am selling 1lb jars of honey for £5 and by the end of the day I'd sold 15 jars.

I didn't expect so many people to be interested .

At that cheap a price the only surprise to me is that you weren't killed in the rush :D

Can I (yet again) bang the location drum.

It's far from one price fits all.

Going back some years now, actually about 15, I found a BF owned shop selling at £14-95 a pound in a Welsh honeypot tourist village. I was and am amazed, yet he was getting it!

What our London friends can achieve is one thing same as that lucky or astute Welsh person. I know what I can get here, and no doubt you know what you can get and if you don't get up off the chair and look in some shops, take of some 40% and you will have a rough idea.

It varies people.

PH

I have to sell as I am expanding a bit and spent some money on a breeder queen. My 4 frames manual extractor is probably going to be upgraded by an electric one after I have dealt with all the supers.
I intend to keep back 100 jars for the local produce market later on but don't want to keep it too long as it will crystallise.

My buyer in France has asked if they can increase their purchase this year,
They are concerned about Brexit and what that could do to Honey prices and import duties.

How funny is that.
The French are worried about Brexit

This will make you feel better...I put an 8oz cut comb on 2 slices of bread, maybe if your lucky there’s a little left

Not even looked into selling anything yet as wanted a deep understanding of the craft, prob have 200kg stashed.

Started to sell 12oz jars (friends/family/work), £7 and no issues at all. Odd moan at the price but they were told to try Aldi.

for those of you who are considering dipping a toe into selling honey apart from the jar size and shape the critical issue is your label.

I have had a great experience with "nantomel" who did an excellent job of helping to design my new label.

The tamper proof labels are due today so when I have them I will post up a picture or two.

I highly recommend his work and excellent service.

PH

Should you write the price on the label?

I have been given some old pound jars and some labels that say floral honey.
The honey has gone a bit hard in the bucket I put it in but I have been told that I can not sell it if it has been heated up to go runny, do you scoop it out and sell it as set honey.
Would £5.00 be about the price as I want to undercut the other beekeepers who seem to be charging a lot more than the supermarkets.

Latest posts

Back