Honey prices?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should you write the price on the label?

I have been given some old pound jars and some labels that say floral honey.
The honey has gone a bit hard in the bucket I put it in but I have been told that I can not sell it if it has been heated up to go runny, do you scoop it out and sell it as set honey.
Would £5.00 be about the price as I want to undercut the other beekeepers who seem to be charging a lot more than the supermarkets.

^^

This is why those bee farmers told you (the game is not worth the candle) ha ha

^^

This is why those bee farmers told you (the game is not worth the candle) ha ha

Taking the mickey or being a Troll.

Not worth the effort of saying anything in reply to that sh**e.

PH

I put it in but I have been told that I can not sell it if it has been heated up to go runny.

Is that another nugget from your NDB barfly?
If I were you I'd ask him for advice before he throws a BSG of T.Taylor down his throat - not after

The honey has gone a bit hard in the bucket I put it in but I have been told that I can not sell it if it has been heated up to go runny, do you scoop it out and sell it as set honey.
Would £5.00 be about the price as I want to undercut the other beekeepers who seem to be charging a lot more than the supermarkets.

Oh dear god that’s kinda special:beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

Ah. Now I see what you are.
Apart from bored that is.
If you persist I’ll just remove your posts.

Last edited:

Would £5.00 be about the price as I DO NOT want to undercut the other beekeepers who seem to be charging a lot more than the supermarkets.

correction. shoul have put _ do not.

Think I will go back to lurking

Honey price

I had just over 100 pounds of honey from 1 hive. I didn't actually like the 12oz jars and I think from a marketing point of view the 8oz jars properly badged look better especially from a selling point. I price pointed my jars at £4 and they all sold almost as soon as I put them on my village facebook page. If you have a good product and more importantly it tastes good it will sell. My feedback was the local people loved the thought of honey collected from their gardens and trees. Just aside I tasted honey from 2 beekeepers who's hives were close to rapeseed crops I didn't like the taste at all.

Hello all,

A local deli is interested in taking my surplus honey and asked what I want for it, thing is I've no idea what to charge. He retails 1lb jars at £5-75 and I'll have 70-100 jars to sell.

I quite like the idea of offloading it all in one go, just no idea what a fair price would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks

£5.75 a lb sounds like too cheap. I sell my honey at £6 for a 1lb, £5 for 12 oz, and £3.50 for 8 oz, mainly at city centre markets. Locally retailers are selling 1 lb at £4.90, so quite simply I don't try to sell locally. I have two retail outlets. One, a butcher, sells at £5 for a 12 oz and I give him a 25% discount. Another buys 150/250 jars at a time and I sell at 25% off my retail price as well, but his mark up is a lot higher. If he reduced his price he would sell more but that's his decision.

A local garden centre charges £5.90 for 12 oz, but judging by the state of their stock they don't shift a huge amount.

So, the question really is how long is a piece of string? My advice would be to do some field work, check out who is selling what in your area and for how much. Yes, the may charge £14 a 1lb in Harrods, but think about the overheads they have to carry and also they have a clientele that is willing to pay for the schmooze. I could probably sell for double the price in a London market, but the costs would be sky high.

If you live in a wealthy area you can charge more, but don't forget rich people often got rich by hanging on to their cash. For the most part I have noticed that there's less money around now than 5 years ago. Apart from one or two possible hot spots I think my pricing is about right for an out of London market.

Selling in a market is not worth making the effort unless you are making at least £150 sales. I often sell over £300 worth and am happy with that. Also don't forget the Muslim market - they love honey and know the difference in quality between supermarket cr*p and what I sell.

Good luck

£5.75 a lb sounds like too cheap. I sell my honey at £6 for a 1lb, £5 for 12 oz, and £3.50 for 8 oz, mainly at city centre markets. Locally retailers are selling 1 lb at £4.90, so quite simply I don't try to sell locally. I have two retail outlets. One, a butcher, sells at £5 for a 12 oz and I give him a 25% discount. Another buys 150/250 jars at a time and I sell at 25% off my retail price as well, but his mark up is a lot higher. If he reduced his price he would sell more but that's his decision.

A local garden centre charges £5.90 for 12 oz, but judging by the state of their stock they don't shift a huge amount.

So, the question really is how long is a piece of string? My advice would be to do some field work, check out who is selling what in your area and for how much. Yes, the may charge £14 a 1lb in Harrods, but think about the overheads they have to carry and also they have a clientele that is willing to pay for the schmooze. I could probably sell for double the price in a London market, but the costs would be sky high.

If you live in a wealthy area you can charge more, but don't forget rich people often got rich by hanging on to their cash. For the most part I have noticed that there's less money around now than 5 years ago. Apart from one or two possible hot spots I think my pricing is about right for an out of London market.

Selling in a market is not worth making the effort unless you are making at least £150 sales. I often sell over £300 worth and am happy with that. Also don't forget the Muslim market - they love honey and know the difference in quality between supermarket cr*p and what I sell.

Good luck

You are only 25p per lb more expensive.

I do wish people would stop selling honey in 1lb jars. It just makes everyone else look expensive.

£6 per lb is giving it away IMO.

I sell in bulk at £4 per 8oz jar and they retail between £5.50-£7.00

I sell 8oz from the door @ £5 per jar.

I dont do 12oz or 1lb jars.

I live in North Wales and there is plenty of local competition.

We need more people to up their prices. 8oz @ £3.50 for a direct sale at a market, no matter where in the UK, is absolutely giving it away.

Once you take away your time for jarring, cost of jars, labels, your time at the market, market fees, insurances, cost of equipment, cost of losses, costs of feed, your time taking care of the bees, medicine/treatments, vehicle and mileage costs you will be making a significant loss.

If you take the time element out of the equation, which is fair enough if its your hobby, you will be lucky to break even.

You are only 25p per lb more expensive.

I do wish people would stop selling honey in 1lb jars. It just makes everyone else look expensive.

£6 per lb is giving it away IMO.

I sell in bulk at £4 per 8oz jar and they retail between £5.50-£7.00

I sell 8oz from the door @ £5 per jar.

I dont do 12oz or 1lb jars.

I live in North Wales and there is plenty of local competition.

We need more people to up their prices. 8oz @ £3.50 for a direct sale at a market, no matter where in the UK, is absolutely giving it away.

Once you take away your time for jarring, cost of jars, labels, your time at the market, market fees, insurances, cost of equipment, cost of losses, costs of feed, your time taking care of the bees, medicine/treatments, vehicle and mileage costs you will be making a significant loss.

If you take the time element out of the equation, which is fair enough if its your hobby, you will be lucky to break even.

My hobby has been making and flying model aircraft, it is like tearing up fivers, but what absolute pleasure it brings to many and I can have my own squadron.

My hobby has been making and flying model aircraft, it is like tearing up fivers, but what absolute pleasure it brings to many and I can have my own squadron.

Im not saying people shouldnt enjoy their hobbies.

Just saying to not undervalue your product.

Whats the point in selling jars for £3.50 and running out in November.

Up it to £5 and run out in May makes a lot more sense. Still the same hobby and the same amount of fun.

I find it good to run out of stock....when it comes back on the market they rush to stock up in case you run out again!
E

Speak to any shop keeper they don’t want customers going elsewhere when you run out.

8 oz for £3.50 = £7.00 per lb, which isn't bad for round here where people are selling at the front door for £4.00 per lb. I have a local butcher customer who sells 12 oz at £5.00, but only half a dozen a month, and he has a deli as well.

£3.50 is a good advertising price as well:)

I find it good to run out of stock....when it comes back on the market they rush to stock up in case you run out again!
E

Yes - its quite the opposite around here. Much competition.

Run out and they defect and then dont come back! :(

8 oz for £3.50 = £7.00 per lb, which isn't bad for round here where people are selling at the front door for £4.00 per lb. I have a local butcher customer who sells 12 oz at £5.00, but only half a dozen a month, and he has a deli as well.

£3.50 is a good advertising price as well:)

Its a good advertising price because its cheap.

Its difficult going up against people selling in lb jars. Would be easier if everyone just stopped selling in that size of jar.

The issue is, it shouldnt be a race to the bottom to clear stock. It should be the opposite. Support each other to raise the price, of what is a very valuable commodity.

E

Issue with this, is they stock up and then dont come back for a while as they have stocked up. Their consumption probably remains consistent with either approach.

Pros and cons with running out.
I supply my butcher, he offered to sell it as soon as he knew I kept bees, I think he sticks 50p mark up on a jar. As a rule, we drop off honey and pick up our meat and the bill is settled with takings. One weekend we put in our order, yes we were bringing honey, oh that's good because I've run out and had a customer asking...
When we got there, the customer had already returned and been promised we were on our way, then went on to say how it was the nicest honey he'd ever eaten.
I used to supply the village bakery, went along with honey to be told they were ok for honey thanks. I noticed a shelf full of jars, not local and they didn't sell well. Either way, I never supplied them again and they lost my custom as well.

Latest posts

Back