Honey prices?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

A local deli is interested in taking my surplus honey and asked what I want for it, thing is I've no idea what to charge. He retails 1lb jars at £5-75 and I'll have 70-100 jars to sell.

I quite like the idea of offloading it all in one go, just no idea what a fair price would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks

At that retail level and why is it at the point you would be looking at £4 a pound. Very low. I would look and see if he is selling imported honey at that price and if so the door is open for a higher price for yours. If its local honey then good luck to him and his supplier and move on. Yours is worth more no?

PH

Yes I thought it was a low retail. It is local honey he is selling, approx 15 miles from his shop, mine is about 2 miles but I'd guess both would be considered local.

He sells around 100 jars a month, so they wouldn't be sitting round taking up shelf space, but perhaps his selling price is why he turns it over so quick.

There are other places that may be interested so will try them too, just wanted to get a feel for what's considered reasonable, I do feel it's worth more than £4 a jar though.

I sell mine for £6 at the gate for 12oz and sell to shops for £5.50 with a minimum order of 20 jars. First time I am supplying shops so not sure if I am too cheap. The shop retails my 12oz jars for 7.80.

Hello all,

A local deli is interested in taking my surplus honey and asked what I want for it, thing is I've no idea what to charge. He retails 1lb jars at £5-75 and I'll have 70-100 jars to sell.

I quite like the idea of offloading it all in one go, just no idea what a fair price would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Supply & Demand, do you have the demand without the deli? Then sell it there and sell it higher priced.

Do you have no personal demand but they do? then come to an agreeable price and sell it to them.. bird in the hand 2 in the bush etc if making money is your priority here :D

The simplest way to sell honey is on a sale or return basis as every shop keeper has a horror of buying stock which does not sell. Remove that worry and you are 90% sure of getting shelf space, the remainder is presentation and reassuring that the labelling is correct.

PH

I agree sale or return, sell it to him for what you sell it for at the gate and he charges whatever he wants.
E

I have kept away from the sell or return as I don't want to have a lot back at the end of the year because they were selling it for too much. I have told the local shops that if I do the sell and return I will give them a rrp.

Jeff you cannot tell a shop what to charge. All you can do is to tell them what you are charging them, what they then add is their business only. If you price yourself right, and go round a few shops and look, then you won't have a pile leftover. Even if you do so what? It keeps.

PH

For the moment they seem to be happy to buy upfront but I do a minimum of 10 jars. I haven't had any one asking for sell or return option but seeing as shops look at a minimum of 40% profit it's easy to see how sharply the price can rise and put people off.

I have never been asked for sale or return.

I OFFER it and have never been turned down.

KISS

PH

With only 100lb or so to sell unless you want/need to get shot in a couple of sales I would keep for work family or friends and charge proper money.

With only 100lb or so to sell unless you want/need to get shot in a couple of sales I would keep for work family or friends and charge proper money.

One good idea is to advertise it on your local area Facebook page as Pure Raw Filtered Local Honey.
Sold that amount in a week to people calling round especially hayfever sufferers £5 a jar for a 12oz hexagonal jar.
Many swear by it for helping their hayfever.

I find most shops want a regular supply as well you could run out in a few weeks and they hate turning customers away after

One good idea is to advertise it on your local area Facebook page as Pure Raw Filtered Local Honey.
Sold that amount in a week to people calling round especially hayfever sufferers £5 a jar for a 12oz hexagonal jar.
Many swear by it for helping their hayfever.

I have a Facebook and Instagram page. I put an advert up for spring honey, sold 30 jars in 2 days... But nobody could be arsed to drive and pick it up. They probably expected to do a door to door service for 5.50!!

Agreeing sale or return is simply poor business mngt. Imagine you give a shop 100 jars and they price it wrong, 6 months later you get 70 or 80 jars back!

Why is that your fault?
How have they been stored or displayed?
What condition is the honey in when they give it back, if for example, its been in the shop window in direct sunlight for most of the time?
What condition is your labelling in?
Why should you take the risk?

Nah sell it once and begone. What happens after you hand it over is not your concern or responsibility. Unless of course it was dodgy in the first place.

I wouldn't consider sale or return because of the above. Labels get damaged, honey granulates.
I tend to sell mine in small batches to shops very local to my apiaries so deliveries are normally at the same time as my inspections.

Agreeing sale or return is simply poor business mngt. Imagine you give a shop 100 jars and they price it wrong, 6 months later you get 70 or 80 jars back!

Why is that your fault?
How have they been stored or displayed?
What condition is the honey in when they give it back, if for example, its been in the shop window in direct sunlight for most of the time?
What condition is your labelling in?
Why should you take the risk?

Nah sell it once and begone. What happens after you hand it over is not your concern or responsibility. Unless of course it was dodgy in the first place.

:iagree:

I shall be selling mine this year for £7 for a 1lb jar, I sold all my stuff last year by Christmas. I shan't be selling via shops as there is a the faffing about with Best Before dates, labels warning of feeding it to under 1 year olds, granulation warnings, batch numbers. For 60 or 70 kgs it is just not worth it. My wife works in a department store with a lot of staff and sells it to them mostly.

..., then you won't have a pile leftover. Even if you do so what? It keeps.

PH

I would go MUCH further. Honey crops vary for many reasons. Once you have a serious outlet to keep happy, you need to carry an inventory to buffer bad years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back