Honey prices?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm absolutely at a loss as to the logic of that statement

Why?

Its a big jar and if you work out the cost per gram of an 8oz at £5 vs a lb jar at £6, there is obviously a clear winner in terms of value. Who is going to want to buy a £5 8oz jar when someone is knocking out lb jars for £6?

People arent willing to splash £10 on a lb jar, but quite happy to spend £10 on two 8oz jars. The same cost per gram.

Therefore, to help increase the price of honey, the lb jar shouldnt be used. 12oz and 8oz jars are much more profitable.

so what next? ban 12oz jars because they don't suit your business model? or why not force everyone to sell in 2oz jars? your logic is pretty twisted anyway, One of my outlets used to sell honey from more than one supplier - mine in 12oz jars outstripped sales of the 1lb jars even though mine was also dearer per unit (regardless of weight)

so what next? ban 12oz jars because they don't suit your business model? or why not force everyone to sell in 2oz jars? your logic is pretty twisted anyway, One of my outlets used to sell honey from more than one supplier - mine in 12oz jars outstripped sales of the 1lb jars even though mine was also dearer per unit (regardless of weight)

How about we just shove it all in a massive 200 litre tank and charge people 50p a lick?

The logic isnt twisted. Look at pretty much every single product in the supermarket. The overall weight has reduced year on year.

Chocolate bars, crisps, pretty much everything is considerably smaller than it used to be. You either raise prices, or reduce weights.

Retailers realise you arent going to be comfortable constantly paying more, but a reduction in size is far more palatable.

If you are selling lb jars for £6 and moved over to 12oz jars for £6 noone would bat an eyelid. But bump the price up to £8 and they would be having fits.

The logic is far from twisted, its incredibly well versed and used by pretty much every retailer under the sun

How about we just shove it all in a massive 200 litre tank and charge people 50p a lick?
more fitting for the kind of cloud cuckoo thinking you push. never heard so much tripe spouting out from one source in my life

I see. You realise I'm right and continue to resort to insults.

Flattering

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

100 jars will go in no time at all. Friends, neighbours, colleagues will all want some. Put a sign on the front gate, take a jar into work. Mention it in the pub.
You'll only need to think of "outlets" when you get at least twice as much.
△ What thorn said △
I suppose it all depends on what the OP wants from his sales, but spring is a long way off until the next extraction!!
Its our first year of having honey to sell and have sold out!!
The bees produced 56kg and sold most of it @ £6 per 8oz apart from the what we have kept for our own use, or gave as gifts, we have only been selling to friends, family and work mates.
And we all ready have pre orders for next years spring honey so i would not be selling it for any less than top money.
Its a top quality product produced with love, care and attention by the bees so sell it as such.

Last edited:

:party:

Nice to see someone on this sometime rather dour forum has a great sense of humour!

Needs to be said in Cyprus honey sold in jars at the roadside generally seemed to be 1 kilo and cost around £5.00

Surely its each to there own, whether catering to the "artisan" market and the prices that seem to be associated with that tag whether its bread,coffee or honey or selling from your gate at £5 / 1lb to your locals - if you're happy ,good luck to you.

I see. You realise I'm right and continue to resort to insults.

Flattering

You'd be better off working out why people prefer other suppliers' honey to your own rather than moaning you cannot compete and expecting everyone else to change

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be better off working out why people prefer other suppliers' honey to your own rather than moaning you cannot compete and expecting everyone else to change
Like I said, flattering that people are taking notice ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find that word of mouth will bring plenty of sales.
If it's good people tell their friends.

There are communities out there that appreciate good quality honey.
Some requesting 10 jars a time.
That is exactly what i do and after tomorrow the last twenty 12oz jars of runny honey will be gone..i have sold around 450 jars like that and if i had more it would keep going..the set honey has hit a brick wall and folk much prefare the runny but it will not go to waste and the 90lb i have sat in the garage is getting used on another hobby i have taken up..

The Muslim family running our village shop have always had honey off us, we've known four generations of their family. Nice that one of the youngsters asked my wife if he could sell our honey.
We gave him a jar and one for his mother and dropped off a box of jars for the shop. We ask £5 for 12 ozs.
He has asked for more as it flew off the shelf and he is charging £6.99.

Another of our customers told us we are under charging, asked when we last put the price up (crikey, that was ages ago!!) and suggested it was something we should consider.

Latest posts

Back