GasVap frustrations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I used the GasVap successfully last year but this year the blowtorch(s) are letting me down. I use them for the GV and for lighting my smoker. I have tried two Cadrims following a recommendation on here and two unbranded Chinese ones. I returned the first Cadrim because the piz-spark failed. The second fires about1/5 but as soon as I attach the GasVap the flame goes out. Ditto the Chinese. (Neither torch will light if the GV is already attached before I attempt to ignite. I make sure there is fuel in the torch). I might have to dust off my Varrox.
Thus I've had to abandon my vaping session this morning.
Grateful for your thoughts/advice.

Oh! I thought maybe it was just me, I have very similar experience to yours. My vaping was abandoned last week because of it. I plan to go back, tomorrow, with my cheap and cheerful pan heater and battery.
My thoughts are that the cardrim just doesn't get the air it needs, probably the same with the others. My spark igniter failed as well after the first use on the GV so I wondered whether or not it just gets too hot and 'melts' the components.
This is maybe something that @pargyle might be able to comment on further as I recall he did some "experimenting" with heat shields and so on.

I have the original gasvap without the enhanced clamp for the blowtorch. Thankfully the blowtorch still works and is useful for lighting the smoker as well. I note that the new design has a new blowtorch which I saw demo'ed on black Mountain honey. Is this the design of blowtorch you are talking about?

My cadrim is still working ... in fairness, as I don't treat my bees it has only been used to treat other people's hives so probably not been over-used in the Gasvap (20 or 30 treatments in total I would guess). I use it regularly to light my smoker and the piezo ignition is fine. I rather suspect that failure may be down to it getting too hot in the Gasvap ... I get it going and then turn the heat on the torch right down as once it is hot enough to sublimate the OA it does not take much heat to keep it at that level - and the Cadrim does push out a great deal of heat - packs a punch for such a small torch.

I see John is now recommending a different torch with his kits - the Rekrow RK 2121 - and offering a 12 month warranty with it ... it's a bit expensive at £49.50 from him but John must be happy that it is reliable in use with the Gasvap ... and let's face it you can spend £49 on a lot of other 'one off' treatments very easily so perhaps it would be an investment.

I have the original gasvap without the enhanced clamp for the blowtorch. Thankfully the blowtorch still works and is useful for lighting the smoker as well. I note that the new design has a new blowtorch which I saw demo'ed on black Mountain honey. Is this the design of blowtorch you are talking about?

Thanks, but I can't find the BMH vid. Could you send me a link please.

I had to send back my 1st torch as the ignition failed but the 2nd one I have had for over a year is still going and lighting. You can see it overheats as the plastic around the flame protector is melted. It doesn't go off while in use but if it does it won't light again and I need to use a lighter. I did 10 hives in a row yesterday with no issues.

I have the Rekrow torch with my gasvap. No problems lighting it with or without the gasvap attached.
However I did find it started leaking. Further investigation showed that when it was supposedly in the off position it wasn't actually fully closed. Ended up removing the red safety catch so that I can screw it closed properly all the way now. Bonus is that it's much easier to light with one hand without the pesky safety lock.

I had a cheap canister blowtorch that worked for a while with my Mk1 gasvap till the piezo failed. I tried a Cadrim but I don't think it generates enough heat to do the job properly, so it has been relegated to kitchen duties. I've now bought a Rothenberger Rofire canister torch type 35556R, £32 from Homebase, and it works perfectly. Expensive but worth every penny IMO. It also does a grand job of lighting the smoker and is definitely powerful enough for household plumbing jobs.

I had a cheap canister blowtorch that worked for a while with my Mk1 gasvap till the piezo failed. I tried a Cadrim but I don't think it generates enough heat to do the job properly, so it has been relegated to kitchen duties. I've now bought a Rothenberger Rofire canister torch type 35556R, £32 from Homebase, and it works perfectly. Expensive but worth every penny IMO. It also does a grand job of lighting the smoker and is definitely powerful enough for household plumbing jobs.

I took your advice and bought a Rothenberger. It's a mighty beast compared with the Cadrim! Flames emerged from the GasVap and singed the woodwork of the hives. If I turned the gas down the torch went out. Quite how I don't know but I set fire to one of my Abelo poly roofs - I was vaping from the top of the hive. Luckily I had water to hand. Since then I've received a Rekrow torch from Bridge Cottage - expensive - and it worked well on eight hives.

• Haha
Reactions: mbc
Oh! I thought maybe it was just me, I have very similar experience to yours. My vaping was abandoned last week because of it. I plan to go back, tomorrow, with my cheap and cheerful pan heater and battery.
My thoughts are that the cardrim just doesn't get the air it needs, probably the same with the others. My spark igniter failed as well after the first use on the GV so I wondered whether or not it just gets too hot and 'melts' the components.
This is maybe something that @pargyle might be able to comment on further as I recall he did some "experimenting" with heat shields and so on.
A little update:
Cadrim replaced the torch that was faulty after a couple of emails so a great response from after sales service. Re the torch going out on low flame - I noticed the heat shield sides appeared to be 'squashed' in towards the body and seemed to hinder airflow; after easing them outwards a little the issue was resolved. glad to say it all appears to work fine now.

I took your advice and bought a Rothenberger. It's a mighty beast compared with the Cadrim! Flames emerged from the GasVap and singed the woodwork of the hives. If I turned the gas down the torch went out. Quite how I don't know but I set fire to one of my Abelo poly roofs - I was vaping from the top of the hive. Luckily I had water to hand. Since then I've received a Rekrow torch from Bridge Cottage - expensive - and it worked well on eight hives.
Crikey, with that much heat from the Rothenberger you are lucky that the gasvap is still in one piece - the joints appear to be silver soldered not brazed ... you need quite a lot more heat than when using plumbers solder but .... close shave I would suggest - bet the roof catching fire was something else as well ...

I use a Rothenberger torch for workshop use ... brilliant bit of kit but too hot with the propane/butane mix I use to be used in the Gasvap. If my cadrim fails I think the Rekrow one looks like a good option.

Crikey, with that much heat from the Rothenberger you are lucky that the gasvap is still in one piece - the joints appear to be silver soldered not brazed ... you need quite a lot more heat than when using plumbers solder but .... close shave I would suggest - bet the roof catching fire was something else as well ...

I use a Rothenberger torch for workshop use ... brilliant bit of kit but too hot with the propane/butane mix I use to be used in the Gasvap. If my cadrim fails I think the Rekrow one looks like a good option.

If it falls apart, stick it back together with firegum. Gives an extra few hundred degrees C of tolerance.

I loved my gas-vap, then became frustrated with various torches, some worked for a while and then didn't seem to have the oomph to vaporise. Splashed out on a Rekrow torch from John and its a game-changer again. Easily adjustable, lights with the gas-vap in place, stays lit while treating several hives. Really pleased with it!!

I loved my gas-vap, then became frustrated with various torches, some worked for a while and then didn't seem to have the oomph to vaporise. Splashed out on a Rekrow torch from John and its a game-changer again. Easily adjustable, lights with the gas-vap in place, stays lit while treating several hives. Really pleased with it!!
I've had a Gas vap for a few years now. It was always somewhat erratic about staying lit if turned up with flame gas setting quite critical. Today I used a hacksaw and enlarged the flame exit holes by cutting a wedge shaped piece out of the sides of the 135 degree elbow where joined to the target chamber. Today's treatments were much easier. There was more flame splash came out but it was retained by the copper shroud and the heat conducted to the reaction chamber.

Attachments

• 20211006_131808.jpg
    20211006_131808.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
I have tried a powerful torch, no use as too strong and blew out on lighting so utter failure. I bought on a recommendation a Sistotec but today the auto lighting failed and it won't light manually! FFS!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is this Rekrow RK 212 available from please as I am in a hurry now to say the least.

PH

Ah crap thats the one that just failed on me. It's labelled as Sistotec. Not impressed at all.

PH

Latest posts

Back