Warning about cheap mini butane blow torches/solderers/welders/Creme Brule burners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alight at the time? Darwin rules :leaving:
had a similar experience with a blow torch off ebay from Hong Kong, it was not a screw to gas cylinder type but the fitting that clips onto the cheaper cylinders with the plastic press down valves

it worked ok for a time then i caught the blow torch head on the side of a brood box, the blow torch head partial detached from the cylinder and caught fire

fortunatley i dropped it and kicked it away before it exploded leaving a depression in the ground and me rather shaken

Why not use a butane gas soldering iron, they often have these in Aldi for about £5, comes in a box with attachments for different soldering work but the body without the attachments is a great little blow torch for lighting smokers, barbys. & all sorts, fits nicely in your pocket too about 6" long & 1" diameter.

Ah
Maybe that's why on some days I find it difficult to keep the smoker going.
Perhaps it wasn't alight in the first place ;)

Yup that's it!

Many sympathies to the OP. Sounds very painful.

Butane burns

So sorry to hear about your accident. It was good of you to tell us about it and warn about the dangers. Although, atm I am using polys...but it is always useful to know about the dangers of using these devices. Hope you are soon fully healed and following the advice from the burns unit to help avoid scars. Thx

Ah
Maybe that's why on some days I find it difficult to keep the smoker going.
Perhaps it wasn't alight in the first place ;)

Yes, just blowing dust at the bees doesn't seem to work well!
I must admit to struggling with lighting and keeping my smoker going until I bought the clipper lighter mini blowtorch thing and a rauch boy smoker. The combination has it Sussed for me.

Matches are sooo 20th century

Yes, just blowing dust at the bees doesn't seem to work well!
I must admit to struggling with lighting and keeping my smoker going until I bought the clipper lighter mini blowtorch thing and a rauch boy smoker. The combination has it Sussed for me.

Matches are sooo 20th century

Eggbox and pet sawdust lit with one of those long nose lighters from the £shop. The egg box burns really well which gets enough sawdust going.
Apart from the day of my basic but that was probably the rain. :)

Caveat emptor.

Caveat emptor indeed, shows the value of buying from a retailer with come back and the danger of the detachment of buying ont Web.
Get well soon.

This is the one i use fro Aldi, great even in a wind :)

This is the rothenburger one

not only lights the smoker but can be used for sterilisation od wooden parts

picture.php

Well, there's one on A mazon for £57.
I've got a Wilko version for a tenner. I scorch my wooden boxes with it.

If memory serves about £45, the gas canisters can be very variable in price, but at my merchants there about £7 a shot, last quite some time.

They do make different gas combinations for different temps, tip is, stick with the blue, more than adequate for the use it is being put.

Oh... and don't buy from B&Q they will cost a fortune!

Any plumbers gas torch will do for flaming wooden hives, best to get one you can use upside down as some go out when they are tipped up, this ones easy to carry in your pocket if youre walking any distance, its refillable all you need is a tin of lighter fuel gas which will last for years & only £5 + you can do soldering jobs with it, too small for doing the hives but great for lighting the smoker, even has a built in igniter, no faffing about looking for matches or lighters :)

I can confirm the Rothenberger is well worth the money. I had a couple of cheaper ones before and was surprised at the difference in heat. You can also get spares if anything goes wrong.
Don't drop it though - there is a 'safety groove' designed to fracture stop escape of gas if it breaks.
Ray

I can confirm the Rothenberger is well worth the money. I had a couple of cheaper ones before and was surprised at the difference in heat. You can also get spares if anything goes wrong.
Don't drop it though - there is a 'safety groove' designed to fracture stop escape of gas if it breaks.
Ray

You can also fit one of these flame spreaders which makes it a lot more efficient cleansing the boxes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bernzomat...preader-Adaptor-Stainless-Steel-/121005004075

My 11 year old Wickes self igniting blowtorch cost me c £11 and it's still going strong...I look after tools (not fools :nono: )

Latest posts

Back