Warning about cheap mini butane blow torches/solderers/welders/Creme Brule burners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thymallus

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
I bought a cheap (chinese) butane solderer/welder thingy (mini blow torch) as I wanted a good hot flame with pizo electric ignition to get smoker fuel going.
I made the mistake (due to lack of money) of going for a cheap chinese jobby from e-bay.
I was quite please by it at first. BUT as I was adjusting the flame with a little adjuster knob at the bottom....... it totally unscrewed releasing the butane inside. Obviously faulty or very badly designed. Unfortunately it was alight at the time. The gas exploded and I was literally on fire with what was a flash burn caused by the ignited gas. Burns on cheeks,nose lips forehead etc Ruined the top I was wearing which fortunately took the brunt of the blast. Currently I've no eyebrows left to speak of and hairline has receded even further. Skin on my nose has now totally peeled away with lips following rapidly with blisters over much of my face. I look like the man your mother warned you about.....and a damn painful experience it was (and is) too.
It could have been much worse, I was lucky, no damage to eyes and no inhalation burns!!
So please take heed and do not buy cheap butane mini blow torches or the like. It's simply not worth the risk.
Back to long necked candle lighters for me.
Lesson duly learned!

I bought a cheap (chinese) butane solderer/welder thingy (mini blow torch) as I wanted a good hot flame with pizo electric ignition to get smoker fuel going.
I made the mistake (due to lack of money) of going for a cheap chinese jobby from e-bay.
I was quite please by it at first. BUT as I was adjusting the flame with a little adjuster knob at the bottom....... it totally unscrewed releasing the butane inside. Obviously faulty or very badly designed. Unfortunately it was alight at the time. The gas exploded and I was literally on fire with what was a flash burn caused by the ignited gas. Burns on cheeks,nose lips forehead etc Ruined the top I was wearing which fortunately took the brunt of the blast. Currently I've no eyebrows left to speak of and hairline has receded even further. Skin on my nose has now totally peeled away with lips following rapidly with blisters over much of my face. I look like the man your mother warned you about.....and a damn painful experience it was (and is) too.
It could have been much worse, I was lucky, no damage to eyes and no inhalation burns!!
So please take heed and do not buy cheap butane mini blow torches or the like. It's simply not worth the risk.
Lesson duly learned!

Alight at the time? Darwin rules :leaving:

That's horrendous! I'm so sorry to hear about the suffering it's caused you. A lot of these kinds of burners are sold, obviously. (I've just myself ordered what is a no doubt similarly cheapo - for the same reasons - weed wand.)

Whoa Thymallus!

Sorry to hear of your misadventure.
Sounds really scary, painful and unpleasant.
I do hope you're on the mend now.

Thanks for the heads up.
I wonder if Trading Standards or the HSE or someone ought to be informed?
And ebay, perhaps.

When you're a bit more with it, details of the make and from whence you bought it, would be helpful.

Get well soon!

Dusty

That's horrendous! I'm so sorry to hear about the suffering it's caused you. A lot of these kinds of burners are sold, obviously. (I've just myself ordered what is a no doubt similarly cheapo - for the same reasons - weed wand.)
cheap doesnt mean unsafe but ...
I use an outrageously awkward primus propane torch with hose and ~10kg bottle, complete overkill but relatively safe. Got it originally for bend exhaust tubes. Now used for lighting barbeque and soldering copper pipe and lighting smokers.

How scary! Thank you for posting, I hope you heal fast.

I should have thought you'd expect to be able to alter the flame while the burner was alight - ? Haven't yet received mine, so have no instructions yet. Will certainly very cautious now before using it. Or not. hmmmm

Last edited:
I have 2 of these and use all the time.. got from Robert Dyas..
Hope you heal quickly, as burns so painful. :grouphug:

Thanks for the heads up.
I wonder if Trading Standards or the HSE or someone ought to be informed?
And ebay, perhaps.

OMG! :sorry: Thats terrible! I think we all wish you a speedy recovery.

I would second the advice offered above. Trading standards should be informed although I'm not sure what they can do if these people are operating from abroad (as they often do).

eBay should also be told. I've found them to be quite good at resolving disputes.

I honestly think that we, in the UK, tend to look for the cheapest deal rather than investing in quality. I bought a compressor and nail-gun/stapler last year. They came packaged with an airline and pressure gauge for the car tyres. Needless to say the airline and gauge were made in China....they fell apartwithin weeks of intermittent use.

Nasty!
I hope you make a speedy recovery.
A picture of the offending object would be good as some of us might already has one.

Thanks for the kind words. It only hurts when I grin. The wife seemed more worried about the carpet at the time as that was I were I threw the damn thing after if exploded!!
The one I bought can be seen here
I doubt trading standard can help as it was bought direct from china. Seller will just claim it was damaged in the post.
I would check if you have bought similar that the adjusting screw won't screw all the way out BEFORE filling with gas, or at least turning the damn thing off before adjusting flame.

Caveat emptor.

Lesson duly learned!

I trust you bought some Mankunah hone to spread over the burns!

Ouch!
What's wrong with matches, though?:sorry:

1 They blow out in the lightest breeze
2 They do not burn for long enough
3 They do not burn at a high enough temperature
4 You cannot point the flame at the fuel in the smoker
5 Even a little rain on the box and they don't work
6 Very easily lost
7 The box gets squashed in the tool box and all the matches fall out

Mini blow lamps are just a better option. Lidl sell one or two types fairly cheaply. Thornes do one that works with a clipper lighter although it isn't cheap, it's not going to break the bank. I have several of them. MUCH better than matches

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about it.

I bought mine in 2012: about £12 iirc. Lighter fluid powered so inherently safer . No issues so far.

I actually use a full size butane blowlamp to light smokers - it's quicker.

So please take heed and do not buy cheap butane mini blow torches or the like. It's simply not worth the risk. ...

Quite.

Get a good one, such as from Lidl (when they have them).
3 year warranty.
No problems whatsoever.

Hope you recover soon.

Quite.

Get a good one, such as from Lidl (when they have them).
3 year warranty.
No problems whatsoever.

Hope you recover soon.

Hi Thymalluss, Absolutely horrendous and totally unacceptable design IMHO!
Itma can that happen to us with the lever? I often adjust the flame when lit.

Treat yourself to a Rothenberger.

I prefer a beefberger with cheese.... and for the price of a Rottenburger you could eat well for a week or four..

1 They blow out in the lightest breeze
2 They do not burn for long enough
3 They do not burn at a high enough temperature
4 You cannot point the flame at the fuel in the smoker
5 Even a little rain on the box and they don't work
6 Very easily lost
7 The box gets squashed in the tool box and all the matches fall out

Mini blow lamps are just a better option. Lidl sell one or two types fairly cheaply. Thornes do one that works with a clipper lighter although it isn't cheap, it's not going to break the bank. I have several of them. MUCH better than matches

Ah
Maybe that's why on some days I find it difficult to keep the smoker going.
Perhaps it wasn't alight in the first place ;)

Latest posts

Back