GasVap frustrations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience and practice is required .
the blowtorch is equipped with a control ring for the primary air .
wide open and the gas valve needs opening quite a bit for stability.
ok if you’re brazing .
OA sublimation doesn’t require high temperatures . Experiment with PAC/ gas valve opening .
you will find both stability and acceptable temperature of the OA pot will be achieved and will allow you to walk from hive to hive , adding OA at each hive .
when charging your torch choose highly refined pure butane, cheap as chips £1.99

Yes but to do all of that it needs a flame and that is what I am lacking. No flame = 0 action.

PH

Yes but to do all of that it needs a flame and that is what I am lacking. No flame = 0 action.

PH
Is the piezo working ok .
and does the torch have Purified Butane?
the Ronson variety doesn’t fit the bill .
I have a turbo lighter that is finicky. instructions say use colibri or outdoors own brand . These are fine but the newer purified butanes suit it .

Last edited:
I use the Cadrim as well, got it from Amazon Cadrim Big Butane Torch Kitchen Large Professional Powerful and Strong Blow Torch and Refillable Cooking Culinary Lighter Adjustable Kitchen Torch for Creme Brulee Baking Soldering(Fuel Not Included) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen. It looks identical to the Concise Home, but the Concise Home is much cheaper!

Recently did 6 hives without issue.

I use the cheap Universal Gas Refill says its "For all lighter and thermal butane powered products". Costs a quid from Asda for 200ml.

As VM mentioned make sure the piezo is working okay. On one occasion, I needed to adjust it, by gently bending the little wire in towards the middle.

The Cadrim I use is the smaller kitchen palm size Brulee model, having looked today see the model is some 70% more expensive now.

Seeing the price of these things and how well the XHY model works, I snagged a back up one for under £15 which is £3 cheaper then I originally paid over two years ago.

I haver the sistotec and managed to use it this afternoon with the gasvap but dear me what a bloody performance. After four usages the vapour began to increasingly pour from under the cup. Odd thinks I is the cup square? Not really so I tried again and the back blow was worse. Long story short the pipe was blocked solid about 15 to 20 mll from the pot. Is this really how it performs as as far as I can tell it's pretty hopeless after four usages. I am so frustrated compared to the trickle.

PH

I haver the sistotec and managed to use it this afternoon with the gasvap but dear me what a bloody performance. After four usages the vapour began to increasingly pour from under the cup. Odd thinks I is the cup square? Not really so I tried again and the back blow was worse. Long story short the pipe was blocked solid about 15 to 20 mll from the pot. Is this really how it performs as as far as I can tell it's pretty hopeless after four usages. I am so frustrated compared to the trickle.

PH
My Sublimox was blocking after about 5 hives this last time of using... I'm going to have to make a bradawl type of tool with a twist drill bit in it.... I could do with a nice turned handle for it tho! Pargyle Enterprises to the rescue?

My Sublimox was blocking after about 5 hives this last time of using... I'm going to have to make a bradawl type of tool with a twist drill bit in it.... I could do with a nice turned handle for it tho! Pargyle Enterprises to the rescue?
I suspect the extra ingredients block vapourisers more than purer oxalic acid would - if we were allowed to use it 😉

I suspect the extra ingredients block vapourisers more than purer oxalic acid would - if we were allowed to use it 😉
As was only cleaning the hives I was using pure OA so extra ingredients didn't come into it!

Pour some water in the bowl . Place an empty dosing cap on and start the Blowlamp . Seconds later the resultant steam will clear out the tube . The cap will act like a safety valve and prevent pressure building up too much !

Someone called ? I have just the thing .. I made one with a bit of welding wire and a turned handle - but doesn't the handle on the measuring spoon/cup that comes with the Gasvap serve the same purpose ?

Yes ... Beat me to it ... It was only after I made my unblocking tool that I realised the handle of the scoop did the same job !
The Gasvap handle is bigger than the Sublimox tube.

In that case ... you need a bit of welding wire in a turned handle .... I'll see what I can do !
I couldn't get it out with a nail because to was so hard so I think I'll make one with a 3mm drill bit which will remove the plug by twisting.

Latest posts

Back