News Flash: 'Beekeeper sets light to a poly hive!'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two Masies poly hives and eight wooden hives in commission. Today I decided to GasVap OA, taking advantage of the warm day, 12C. The polys have a landing board which means to use the GV in a vertical position (it goes out if turned sideways) I needed to deploy the extension tube. However I always find the tube never gets hot enough so the OA condenses so that the crystals block the tube.

I got some smoke into the hive entrance using the extension tube and decided to boost this by vaping under the OMF, without the extension tube. However the copper of the GV must have been touching the polystyrene because flames and smoke belched forth and quickly took hold.

Luckily I had 5l of water close by and this extinguished the outer-surface flames but flames continued underneath within. Fortunately I have a soldering mat in my vaping armamentarium so I tipped the hive sideways to 45 degs and managed to quell the fire. The bees were none too pleased but fortunately I was fully suited.

The lesson learned, apart from the obvious, is that for a modest number of hives the GasVap is more nuisance than it's worth. Despite have the expensive recommended torch it is sometimes difficult to ignite and often goes out mid-vape. I'm resolved to return to my trusty Varrox, certainly for the polys.

I have two Masies poly hives and eight wooden hives in commission. Today I decided to GasVap OA, taking advantage of the warm day, 12C. The polys have a landing board which means to use the GV in a vertical position (it goes out if turned sideways) I needed to deploy the extension tube. However I always find the tube never gets hot enough so the OA condenses so that the crystals block the tube.

I got some smoke into the hive entrance using the extension tube and decided to boost this by vaping under the OMF, without the extension tube. However the copper of the GV must have been touching the polystyrene because flames and smoke belched forth and quickly took hold.

Luckily I had 5l of water close by and this extinguished the outer-surface flames but flames continued underneath within. Fortunately I have a soldering mat in my vaping armamentarium so I tipped the hive sideways to 45 degs and managed to quell the fire. The bees were none too pleased but fortunately I was fully suited.

The lesson learned, apart from the obvious, is that for a modest number of hives the GasVap is more nuisance than it's worth. Despite have the expensive recommended torch it is sometimes difficult to ignite and often goes out mid-vape. I'm resolved to return to my trusty Varrox, certainly for the polys.
Sorry to hear your troubles. I have a similar issue with my extension tube as well.

It's an easy problem to solve... instead of trying to vape from below on poly hives vape from above through the hole in the crownboard ... just make a plate with a hole in it and poke the short gasvap tube through it. No need for ekes or removing the crownboard.20210206_162923.jpg Works well. I actually made a little fitment to do the job. The gasvap sits in place and you can walk away and leave it for a couple of minutes to do its job . Sometimes you have to think a little sideways when things don't work as you thought they would.20210117_143957.jpg20210117_144047.jpg

Maybe you need to be more aware of making contact between gas vap and poly? However I'm not sure poly will ignite through contact with a copper surface at sublimation temperature. I'll have to conduct a few experiments with some polystyrene and a bit of hot copper at various temperatures.🤔

Maybe you need to be more aware of making contact between gas vap and poly? However I'm not sure poly will ignite through contact with a copper surface at sublimation temperature. I'll have to conduct a few experiments with some polystyrene and a bit of hot copper at various temperatures.🤔

Yes, I will be 'more aware', in fact won't repeat. I was surprised too. I look forward to your experimental results. I dearly wanted to take a pic of the conflagration but decided discretion is the better part of valour......

It's an easy problem to solve... instead of trying to vape from below on poly hives vape from above through the hole in the crownboard ... just make a plate with a hole in it and poke the short gasvap tube through it. No need for ekes or removing the crownboard.View attachment 29459 Works well. I actually made a little fitment to do the job. The gasvap sits in place and you can walk away and leave it for a couple of minutes to do its job . Sometimes you have to think a little sideways when things don't work as you thought they would.View attachment 29461View attachment 29462

Yes, thanks Pargyle. In fact on all my wooden hives I have reversible CBs with a hole for the GasVap in the thicker rim - works well if the GV obliges. In future, if I forgive the GV, I'll use these CBs on the two ploy hives.

A good work man never blames his tools ! 😂

I have a paynes poly hive, and the landing board is much wider than the maisemores. My solution was to cut 2 inches off the front of the landing board. This also makes the hive more portable.

[/QUOTE]
sorry i shouldn't laugh but i did ... such a vivid desription...
:oops:

Amari says .... ‘However I always find the tube never gets hot enough so the OA condenses so that the crystals block the tube.’
I like the Gasvap very much (mines an early one) but I had the same problem with the extension tube, but easily resolved by heating the tube whilst attached to the Gasvap with my spare torch. Yes, invokes a second torch but well worth having a spare. Alternatively when using the copper extension keep the Gasvap lit a couple of minutes before adding the OA.
Heating the tube resolves the problem.

Latest posts

Back