GasVap frustrations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so Victor yes I am using Ron whatsit gas so who supplies the purified butane?

Yes the pizio failed and the whole shebang is due to go back to Amazon, I cannot be doing with kit that won't work well.

I tried heating the tube and that failed it took a 3mm bit to drill it out.

Is the gasvap actually meant to cope with more than three hives I am wondering. I haven't managed more than 5 in a row before some damn thing or other has brought me up hard?

Sublimox or provap, if you can get one. Seems to be the only way thats reliable for a large amount of colonies.
I'm averaging fifty in three hours, on my own & topping up fondant at the same time.
Done 223 with only having to clear nozzle twice, then it was only a quick warm with a blow torch to clear residue from the end.
Only purchased the machine Christmas week, I'm a novice at vaping as haven't used oxalic since the fairy dust we must use was introduced.
I'm seeing possible Amitraz resistance and the resulting in high mite loads.

Last edited:
Sublimox or provap, if you can get one. Seems to be the only way thats reliable for a large amount of colonies.
I'm averaging fifty in three hours, on my own & topping up fondant at the same time.
Done 223 with only having to clear nozzle twice, then it was only a quick warm with a blow torch to clear residue from the end.
Only purchased the machine Christmas week, I'm a novice at vaping as haven't used oxalic since the fairy dust we must use was introduced.
I'm seeing possible Amitraz resistance and the resulting in high mite loads.
Yeah, once the sublimox is warmed up it wizzes through the treatments very quickly.
Most time is spent getting to and from apiaries, setting up and warming the device and cooling the kettle before packing up and moving on. Very satisfying.
Where abouts are you HH for you to have noticeable amitraz resistance?

Does that mean the Apibioxal doesn't work well as a vaping option? Or just because it contains extra stuff that gums equipment up?

Does that mean the Apibioxal doesn't work well as a vaping option? Or just because it contains extra stuff that gums equipment up?
It works but the sugar and other stuff in apibioxal is not needed for sublimation and yes the carbon residue does bung the kit up ...

I suspect the extra stuff is an anti-clumping addition, clumps don't seem to actually be a problem though, any small clumps will sublimate just fine.

Is the gasvap actually meant to cope with more than three hives I am wondering. I haven't managed more than 5 in a row before some damn thing or other has brought me up hard?
I find it great for four hives (don't have any more yet), and don't have any issues with it doing them in one session. I do keep a bucket of water beside me as I vape though. When I pull a hot cap off it goes straight in the bucket to cool, ready for its next use, and if I can't find the scoop to clear the tube with the handle I just dunk the tube in the water and that clears it out.
I have the cheaper butane torch that it comes with from Bridge Cottage. I did have a bit of an issue with the torch after a while when the safety catch on it actually prevented me from being able to close it off entirely so that it slowly leaked gas between uses. I simply took the safety catch out so that I can screw it tightly closed now. It's been doing me well for the last three years.

So, so, so much better than the cheap pan vaporiser I had before, which was much slower to use, and seemed to have OA jumping out of it rather than vaporising. It's also much more cost-effective than a Sublimox which I could never justify paying for for a handful of hives.

Yeah, once the sublimox is warmed up it wizzes through the treatments very quickly.
Most time is spent getting to and from apiaries, setting up and warming the device and cooling the kettle before packing up and moving on. Very satisfying.
Where abouts are you HH for you to have noticeable amitraz resistance?

Mostly North Shropshire and NE Wales and Cheshire.

Going back to Apistan this year alongside vaping, it's been four years since any colonies have been exposed to Tau Fluvalinate, then maybe oxuvar next year.
I've trialled a four year cycle on one apiary with permanent stocks, it does seem to work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbc
I took my brand new Cadrim torch to vape 5 hives this morning as it's a lovely day here. Did 3 perfectly and I began to see the possibilities. Went to do#4 and it wouldn't light so something had blocked it. Gave up and came home yet again seething over how something in theory so simple is so damn difficult. This is torch failure #3.

PH

I took my brand new Cadrim torch to vape 5 hives this morning as it's a lovely day here. Did 3 perfectly and I began to see the possibilities. Went to do#4 and it wouldn't light so something had blocked it. Gave up and came home yet again seething over how something in theory so simple is so damn difficult. This is torch failure #3.

PH
I've been through similar with the gasvap, also wands, also my own home made seven shot blown air glowplug design, eventually went down the sublimox route and haven't regretted it, it's made for purpose, easy to use and robust enough to keep going all day. Its better for my nerves as each one of the earlier efforts resulted in lots of swearing and wasted time.

I've been through similar with the gasvap, also wands, also my own home made seven shot blown air glowplug design, eventually went down the sublimox route and haven't regretted it, it's made for purpose, easy to use and robust enough to keep going all day. Its better for my nerves as each one of the earlier efforts resulted in lots of swearing and wasted time.
I agree, I love the idea of the gasvap but I've been unable to find a basically "kitchen torch" that is robust enough to last in the back of my van! I have no regrets forking out for the sublimox as about 40% of my hives are within 50m of a power supply (2 long extension leads and a genny can be used for the rest) but I'm still getting the nozzle blocking every 4-5 hives but it's easily cleared with a nail or heating the tube with a kitchen torch. 😂

Going back to Apistan this year alongside vaping, ...
Why not thymol of some sort instead, Apiguard for instance, or formic acid, my favorite. Neither of them results in pesticide residues in the beeswax

Reactions: mbc
Why not thymol of some sort instead, Apiguard for instance, or formic acid, my favorite. Neither of them results in pesticide residues in the beeswax

I used to get a decent drop after the OSR was sprayed, very antidotal evidence, but mite loads were always low after.
I don't like Apigaurd, just my own thoughts, but don't feel it's effective. Colonies coming late back from the Heather would certainly gain little benefit and I like strip treatment, whatever is used, to be within the Colonies, not sat on top.
Vaping oxalic is definitely the way forward, alongside something else, but I do know a large beefarmer who only vapes, with very good results
We have a VM on order, which should be here end of summer, hopefully, the bending required to use the sublimox is not helping my back at all.

I used to get a decent drop after the OSR was sprayed, very antidotal evidence, but mite loads were always low after.
I don't like Apigaurd, just my own thoughts, but don't feel it's effective. Colonies coming late back from the Heather would certainly gain little benefit and I like strip treatment, whatever is used, to be within the Colonies, not sat on top.
Vaping oxalic is definitely the way forward, alongside something else, but I do know a large beefarmer who only vapes, with very good results
We have a VM on order, which should be here end of summer, hopefully, the bending required to use the sublimox is not helping my back at all.
Most important accessory with the sublimox imho is a pair of flexothane overtrousers to kneel in.

Latest posts

Back