Flow alternative?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear !!!
That would test my patience esp on my garden hive that produced nearly 250lbs of honey last year, the process would never allow me sleep .
The flow hive idea was bad enough, it guess it is ok for the beek who only manages one super per colony of honey a year.

Oh wow. I forgot about the flow hive. I remember the controversy and interesting reading on here a while back. How did they turn out? Naff as expected?

My friend with top bar hives gently runs over the surface of the comb with a comb then rests it over a bowl to drip - did this used to be called virgin honey?

Interesting, at least it is an original idea and not a copy. The frames appear shallow / medium so might require 2/3 supers. Compared with the FlowHive it would seems it was flowing much slower.

I certainly would keep to my FlowHive.

:)

Oh dear !!!
That would test my patience esp on my garden hive that produced nearly 250lbs of honey last year, the process would never allow me sleep .
The flow hive idea was bad enough, it guess it is ok for the beek who only manages one super per colony of honey a year.
The FlowHive works in the UK, I get about 88lbs on a strong colony, harvested 485lbs from my garden in 2022 leaving another 450lbs of honey for the bees to winter with. Therefore I would not totally dismiss the idea that they don't work.

Glad it works for you but the harvest averages aren't a lot to speak of.

Oh wow. I forgot about the flow hive. I remember the controversy and interesting reading on here a while back. How did they turn out? Naff as expected?
Naff maybe (?)
But sometimes a Hive that's 'outside the box' concept, sorry for the Pun, can be a good Hive for those who are Disabled, the Infirm. Those needing an 'all in one' for Keeping/Storing/Harvesting Bees & their Honey. eg Kids at School wanting to study Nature up close. A Local Community Garden or Allotments wanting 'Pollination'. Those with a small Garden : who can't pertain to stacks of towering Supers. Etc, etc. . .🙄

OK the Flow Hive is basically a (Yes, a Costly?) 'Designed Super' on a regular Langstroth Brood Box.
Even Rev Langstroth didn't invent the Hive. He 'Patented' the use of . ". . .the first movable frame beehive in America" in "1852." . . .

Hives seem to be updated, are further 'Modernised to Need' (created) eg off an Expired Patent of a similar Hive. From the last Century, (maybe even from the one before !) Nothing new really.

(Who?) : "I've" invented this really amazing new 'Hive' to keep Bees in. Its called a "Skep." Roll up roll up they are selling fast. I accept a Deposit of a Goat , or even a few Chickens ! Diner Card Accepted ?Sorry Sir, no but Dinner later, Yes 🤭

. . . The following came off the website: 'honeybeesuite.com' : from a 'Discussion' made over nine years ago !
(Relating to back when Flow Hive was 'Launched and Promoted.' This too was x9 years back in "2015.")
Thread :
"Patent for a Flow-Style Bee Hive 1940". . . a patent was granted by the U.S. Patent Office" . . .
for a Beehive that is eerily similar to the Flow Hive but is made of Metal. . . The inventor, Juan Garriga, lived in Spain & submitted the patent on August 8, 1939. The patent was approved on 3rdDec , 1940. . .
(. . .It never got to Market. . . )
The Poster also stated "Plastic" was not used / or was commonly in production. . .
A Google search shows : "Plastic Injection Molding" began in 1872 when the first molding machine was invented and patented to make "Buttons, Combs." Etc. . .

Despite Plastic Injection Molding being invented back then, the modern Flow Hive could not of been made or produced I guess, because of Filed 'Patents' ???
(Nonetheless, China have made a knock-off called the "Auto Hive." So patents don't seem to stop them !)

Guess the "Wheel" gets 'invented' and then 'replicated' in different designs. But basically does the same thing !
. . . Moving Stone Monoliths, a Roman in his Chariot, even Elon Musk in his Ferrari. . . 😂

I'll stop before this 'Thread' unravels even more. 🙄

I got an 'AutoHive' Keyed Frame, bundled amongst some Langstroth Boxes, from a Bee Association 'Ad.'
It's frankly a bit of a 'gimmick' and complicated to sort if any part fails or breaks (!) Genuine Honey Comb, Bee Knowledge and Understanding is well worth the price. Even Priceless. . . But some want 'Honey' Now ! Throw their Money at the Instant hit the Flow or Auto Hive 'Offers' but rarely 'provide.'
Bees still need to be kept and looked after. . . Otherwise its a Bee Super Box of 'plastic parts and dead bees'. 😖

Latest posts

Back