Alternatives to wiring brood frames.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your only option really is to wire them, so you need to drill all the frames, wire them (either galv or S/S wire - plenty of sources online), not forgetting to tension the wire, then embed the foundation using a crimper or a car battery charger.

Depending on the depth of the frames, I could solder with wax on the upper and lower ends, and even place a 2/4" strip on them and let the bees do the rest.

For skewers one needs wooden kebab skewers.
If using foundation then they are probably not suitable as one can't imbed them.
Skewers vertically are best used in a starter strip or foundationless set ups and the bees will imbed them.

Last edited:
I would think the easiest and quickest way would be to thread a single wire/fishing line just below the super wax level, so when the bees draw the foundation they will incorporate it into the comb without you having to bother about embedding.
I've done similar when using 14x12 frames.

I wire my Lang jumbos but don't embed the wires.
Bess do it ,
not everyone has a Bess handy to help in the workshop
Although I did know a Mandy once who was always offering to hold it for me

I would think the easiest and quickest way would be to thread a single wire/fishing line just below the super wax level, so when the bees draw the foundation they will incorporate it into the comb without you having to bother about embedding.
I've done similar when using 14x12 frames.
Sounds like the best option frames are st nats, and you got it I have unwired super foundation to use.
Thanks though folks for the replys

Latest posts

Back