Drone foundation in supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anybody use shallow Drone wired foundation in their supers in conjunction with Manley frames?

I'm getting my supers ready and about to order this year's foundation. I'm going to use Manleys for the first time to see what difference this makes to my honey crop this year compared with normal shallow wired foundation in normal National super frames SN4's.

Would appreciate an update on what wax frame combination you use in your National supers.

Thank you.

Olivia9801

what difference this makes
Not a lot. I went down that road a few years ago on the basis that larger cells = less wax = saving money, and that larger cells hold more honey.

Trouble with drone comb in a super is that bees are reluctant to fill it. Damaged super worker comb is invariably rebuilt as drone and will remain empty until the last minute. I interpret this as an insurance policy in the event that they may need to produce drones to mate a queen.

One factor you may consider useful: I use cut comb foundation throughout and no longer buy wired, saving money and giving the option to extract or cut up or sell as a frame.

Extraction in the first season is routine: slow for 75% of the load, then carry on. I found out by accident that it extracts perfectly easily without blowing combs because one year I forgot to mark the top bars.

the type of frame/foundation you use will make no difference to your honey yield. Using drone foundation makes minimal difference to the amount of honey they store but can have quite a few pitfalls, especially if the queen gets up into the supers.

Latest posts

Back