Transferring a nuc to a top bar hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Looking for options of the above title.
Alternative - I have a 4 frame kieler mini nuc I could attach the top bars from the kieler to some made top bar hive frames then bolster them further with nurse bees ?
I have a client wanting to buy a nuc.
I don’t like the option of cutting down brood frames etc.

Thanks me

If you go for the Kieler option add additional bees from several colonies to stop fighting. (Just realised I’m probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!)

If you go for the Kieler option add additional bees from several colonies to stop fighting. (Just realised I’m probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!)
Good call mate I have two weeks so if I made them up using the kieler which to me sounds a better option I think if I made them up on Friday and the client came to get them a week later that would give them some time to settle and draw some more comb .

Looking for options of the above title.
Alternative - I have a 4 frame kieler mini nuc I could attach the top bars from the kieler to some made top bar hive frames then bolster them further with nurse bees ?
I have a client wanting to buy a nuc.
I don’t like the option of cutting down brood frames etc.

Thanks me
You’ve got masses of colonies. Why don’t you just make them up a package with the nuc’s queen? Easy and clean.

I wouldn't be faffing around trying to bodge up some Frankenstein's monster and expect it to be a saleable commodity in two weeks
Your options are:
As Dani, make up a package from the supers of all the colonies you have then add a caged queen
Give them a nuc as is and let them sort it out.

You’ve got masses of colonies. Why don’t you just make them up a package with the nuc’s queen? Easy and clean.
I wouldn't be faffing around trying to bodge up some Frankenstein's monster and expect it to be a saleable commodity in two weeks
Your options are:
As Dani, make up a package from the supers of all the colonies you have then add a caged queen
Give them a nuc as is and let them sort it out.
Yes but it has got to go into a top bar hive .
All my colony’s with supers ? How many boxes do you want me to fill?
I don’t want to just give them a nuc and let them sort it out if your referring to the client?

What’s wrong with a package or do you really want to give them a colony with chopped up frames? Not very professional and not much good for your reputation either.

Just don't bodge it.
I used to: Queens don#t like to lay if there are any vertical wood divisions in comb.. OK in summer when a big flow: bad in Spring/Autumn when colder with lesser flow,

Makes a mess.
I have stopped doing it. Not worth the future issues.

Latest posts

Back