Gasvap alternative

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I think I have reached my limits with gasvap, especially the inability to control temperature. Any battery powered alternative and slightly cheaper than varrox? Has anyone tried the OXALIKA Pro made in Italy?

If

Needs battery like the varrox
I have a sublimox but would change it for an Instantvap
I think I have reached my limits with gasvap, especially the inability to control temperature. Any battery powered alternative and slightly cheaper than varrox? Has anyone tried the OXALIKA Pro made in Italy?
I gave up with my gasvap for the same reasons, I was constantly fiddling with it, trying to get the temperature right, but with no certainty…..gave up when it overheated in a moment of less vigilance and de-soldered itself🤦🏻‍♂️😂.
I bought an Instavap last year and in my estimation it is a game changer, the dosing system is superb and it has full digital temperature control, so absolutely no guesswork….it is also beautifully designed and built.

Expensive maybe, but that’s subjective and completely tied to time consumption in my view.

As you can tell I would thoroughly recommend 👍

I bought an Instavap last year and in my estimation it is a game changer, the dosing system is superb and it has full digital temperature control, so absolutely no guesswork….it is also beautifully designed and built.
and you can just hang it on the hive entrance and walk away to a safe distance while it does its magic

Hi Jeff looks similar to the Instantvap and price wise, we have a Uk suppler for them that should make parts or issues simpler. I picked 1 up early this year and it’s excellent. Do you have any battery power tools that will ease the pain of the purchase as you can order the instantvap to fit existing batteries for some makes.

Puzzled why you need to control the temperature on your gas Vap?
I find it works for 2-3 hives than it overheat getting the OA to boil rather than sublimate.

@Ian123 yes I saw that and have a few DeWalt tools and batteries.

Thanks @Amari .

I am waiting for a price from the UK supplier but off the the homeland next week and may bring one back if there is a big difference.

Last edited:
Puzzled why you need to control the temperature on your gas Vap?
Once everything is warmed up I dial down the flame to absolute minimum and it works just fine there.
Its all mounted in a tripod stand and once running I don't switch it off until I've done all the hives.
Exactly the same question arose in my mind. Sometimes the water of crystallisation boils off but I don't think that interferes with the sublimation process.

Exactly the same question arose in my mind. Sometimes the water of crystallisation boils off but I don't think that interferes with the sublimation process.
It boils off but evaporates rather than sublimate. I find that you don't get the full amount and to be honest, not sure how well it works in that state.

It boils off but evaporates rather than sublimate. I find that you don't get the full amount and to be honest, not sure how well it works in that state.
I found the gasvap a pain on anything more than a couple of hives. Even with extra caps they are hard to handle and that’s even with some snazzy Webber bbq mitts.
And yes when hot I don’t think it sublimates correctly.
Then there’s the problems with the blow torches. The original ones they come with don’t appear to be able to cope with anything but light use, that also goes for most the recommended replacement type’s unless you adapt for something like the professional plumber types.

I found the gasvap a pain on anything more than a couple of hives. Even with extra caps they are hard to handle and that’s even with some snazzy Webber bbq mitts.
And yes when hot I don’t think it sublimates correctly.
Then there’s the problems with the blow torches. The original ones they come with don’t appear to be able to cope with anything but light use, that also goes for most the recommended replacement type’s unless you adapt for something like the professional plumber types.
Admit i have to use this year for first time, but made these caps to make handling easier.

Attachments

• 20230118_170337.jpg
    20230118_170337.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230118_170402.jpg
    20230118_170402.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230118_170418.jpg
    20230118_170418.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I was thinking of getting a gasvap but having read the comments I'll stick with my £25 12v sublimator from StBK (as was) for the time being.

I'm at my wits end with my GasVap which I've used hundreds of times. I've still got my original GasVap unit, but I've used several torches, including a larger butane. Two days ago I did about 18 hives easily, and yesterday the same number took much longer because of difficulty lighting it and getting it to stay lit when turned down. The torch is newish and works well on its own.

I don't understand what changes with the GasVap itself. It has no moving parts. It doesn't appear to get dirty. (But maybe cleaning it would help?)

I was thinking of getting a Sublimox with a battery or generator, but the InstantVap appears to be getting a good press. It wouldn't take long to cover the cost of it if I use OA in the autumn instead of Apivar. Anyway, oxalic acid would still be the standard treatment a few months later, so either I become an OA dribbler, or a vaper with an electric device.

Latest posts

Back