Eco solution for keeping rodents away from hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
Hey guys,

I would like to tell you about this mouse repellent spray from Amazon that helped me get rid of rats. It's a great alternative to regular poisons that keep bees safe and deters rodents.

One night at the beginning of September, I observed a few rats near my hives. The next morning, I found chewed-up combs. I don't know why they appeared on my property. I always try to keep it clean, and I don't leave any food scraps or something like that around.

I've built a raised platform for each hive to avoid to avoid unwanted mouse entry, wax destruction, etc. But this didn't lose their interest because I still continued to notice them.

My wife ordered this spray, which is made from natural ingredients. I started to apply it on hives every 3 days. It has a peppermint fragrance and is non-toxic to the environment, keeping my bees safe. I started to see results within the first week: no more signs of rats near my hives and no disturbance for my bees.

Hey guys,

I would like to tell you about this mouse repellent spray from Amazon that helped me get rid of rats. It's a great alternative to regular poisons that keep bees safe and deters rodents.

One night at the beginning of September, I observed a few rats near my hives. The next morning, I found chewed-up combs. I don't know why they appeared on my property. I always try to keep it clean, and I don't leave any food scraps or something like that around.

I've built a raised platform for each hive to avoid to avoid unwanted mouse entry, wax destruction, etc. But this didn't lose their interest because I still continued to notice them.

My wife ordered this spray, which is made from natural ingredients. I started to apply it on hives every 3 days. It has a peppermint fragrance and is non-toxic to the environment, keeping my bees safe. I started to see results within the first week: no more signs of rats near my hives and no disturbance for my bees.
Might leave a few Trebor mints in the chicken run and see if that works:smash:

I could sell you a kitten for not a lot more than that………..it’d certainly last longer & I‘m happy to recommend the reliability - we have very few rodent issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I could sell you a kitten for not a lot more than that………..it’d certainly last longer & I‘m happy to recommend the reliability - we have very few rodent issues.
We have cats quite a few but still we have lost over 10 chicks to rats this year might even be 20 chicks , it’s the first time this has happened since we’ve had chickens in 20 years.

Might leave a few Trebor mints in the chicken run and see if that works:smash:
This might work.:LOL: I think that the main effect is from the peppermint scent - I read that it deters rodents.

Hope it sorts it out.
I didn’t want to use bait because of having cats we had two old adults in traps and found one dead from bait no chicks taken of late so it’s helped.
We have 20 odd young chicks now and quite a few hens have disappeared and turned up with chicks this year the common is a perfect place for them .

I didn’t want to use bait because of having cats we had two old adults in traps and found one dead from bait no chicks taken of late so it’s helped.
We have 20 odd young chicks now and quite a few hens have disappeared and turned up with chicks this year the common is a perfect place for them .
I have never caught a rat in a slam trap , only mice that then get eaten by rats. Bait seems to work best. You can not ignore rats especially when they are eating through doors etc..
We used to as children go to a friend whos father farmed pigs. Us with a few black plastic irrigation pipes had hours of fun killing rats.
Or feed them to our snakes.

I have never caught a rat in a slam trap , only mice that then get eaten by rats. Bait seems to work best. You can not ignore rats especially when they are eating through doors etc..
We used to as children go to a friend whos father farmed pigs. Us with a few black plastic irrigation pipes had hours of fun killing rats.
Or feed them to our snakes.
Sounds familiar , I can remember as a youngster cleaning the salaries out before school as we use to have 500 breeding sows back then and chasing rats around catching them shooting them even
They were huge some of them as big as a terrier .

Thanks for provoking a childhood memory of me smelling of pig poop before school the smell use to get into your skin . 😂

We have cats quite a few but still we have lost over 10 chicks to rats this year might even be 20 chicks , it’s the first time this has happened since we’ve had chickens in 20 years.
you need to feed them less only hungry creatures will kill

you need to feed them less only hungry creatures will kill
That's an old adage but my son's cats are overfed yet still present him with dead mice, birds, part rabbits and the half eaten remains of various creatures. They have a cat flap and on occasion he's risen wearily from his bed to find he's standing in entrails. 😞

That's an old adage but my son's cats are overfed yet still present him with dead mice, birds, part rabbits and the half eaten remains of various creatures. They have a cat flap and on occasion he's risen wearily from his bed to find he's standing in entrails. 😞
Ours do the same - it’s there way of saying they love you .

In our experience on our farm we feed our cats well and they hunt for sport and do a great job.

This might work.:LOL: I think that the main effect is from the peppermint scent - I read that it deters rodents.
Just bought some peppermint oil. Mixed some up myself and sprayed it where they get into certain places. Try anything once. Thanks

We went in holiday for a weekend and our neighbour fed our cat. She found the head of a rabbit in the kitchen so spent the next two days cleaning the house trying to find the rest of it! Didn't like to tell her the head was all the cat wouldn't eat😃😃😃

We went in holiday for a weekend and our neighbour fed our cat. She found the head of a rabbit in the kitchen so spent the next two days cleaning the house trying to find the rest of it! Didn't like to tell her the head was all the cat wouldn't eat😃😃😃
What kind of cat do you have? Is it a mini lion? :D

I also got one, but he is so lazy that he never got any rats. I think he is afraid of his own shadow; that's why I searched for alternative solutions and found this spray that did its job.

Our latest tom cat is the smallest we've had at a bit over 4kg, but he regularly kills stuff including large rats and recently a grey squirrel (having previously brought one in alive!).

Latest posts

Back