Correx Nuc's / selling overwintered colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niv

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I am looking to sell off some overwintered colonies this year. I have been looking around and think that correx nucs seem to be the cheapest option for selling them in however they are still not particularly cheap imo. I want to keep my costs as low as practicable so that I can sell the colonies at a lower price.

I am wondering if anyone has a link to a cheapish / reliable supplier of these boxes. I am probably only looking at getting four or five this year as a bit of a trial (I could go more to save on delivery if its really worth it but I don't want hundreds of them in case I struggle to shift them).

Or, are there any other alternatives out there that you guys use?

Any other tips for selling overwintered colonies are welcomed!

Thanks.

Have you thought about a poly nuc and add that to the cost.
People like myself who would buy a colony are probably starting out and would appreciate the colony to be housed in something that I could keep it in while it develops then move to a full size hive early next season?
I picked up a Payne's poly nuc that takes 6 frames with the feeder inside or 8 frames without, there are supers available too so I can progressively expand to a full size langstroth hive.
Correx nucs are no good for anything other than transport or swarm catching imo

Reactions: Niv
Have you thought about a poly nuc and add that to the cost.
People like myself who would buy a colony are probably starting out and would appreciate the colony to be housed in something that I could keep it in while it develops then move to a full size hive early next season?
I picked up a Payne's poly nuc that takes 6 frames with the feeder inside or 8 frames without, there are supers available too so I can progressively expand to a full size langstroth hive.
Correx nucs are no good for anything other than transport or swarm catching imo
With the price of polynucs it really bumps the cost of a nuc up to the point that people may not pay it. Also, when you usually buy a descent nuc from a reputable seller (sorry @Niv this is not intended to be personal), the nuc should be ready to go into a full hive.

@Niv sell them in the polynuc and ask for a deposit which is returned to the buyer with your polynuc. Otherwise a few websites sell correx ones between £10-14 =P&P, cheaper if you bulk buy British National Correx Nuc Box

:unsure: Correx boxes can form a liner for a kingspan nuc:unsure:,

Five isn't going to get much of a discount though.
The nuc option is handy and you can offload your old ones at new price hidden in the overall cost or as a deposit paid return.
BE did the cheapest correx when I was last buying but they're five frame ,separate lid and have stupid tabs to thread through the lid.
Castle Farm Hives do a six frame with a hinged lid.

Reactions: Niv
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I could supply a nuc with a deposit to return, I am less keen on supplying a poly nuc in the price as people will have their own ideas on what nucs they want to use so don't want to restrict my audience in that way.

However, as another alternative - I could supply them in a hive as that's what they overwintered in (maybe with a deposit option or included in the purchase price).

No offence taken @jeff33 but you raise a good point on colony size as my offerings may already be hive size colonies.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I could supply a nuc with a deposit to return, I am less keen on supplying a poly nuc in the price as people will have their own ideas on what nucs they want to use so don't want to restrict my audience in that way.

However, as another alternative - I could supply them in a hive as that's what they overwintered in (maybe with a deposit option or included in the purchase price).

No offence taken @jeff33 but you raise a good point on colony size as my offerings may already be hive size colonies.
If they are in a full hive the answer is simple. Invite buyers to inspect and bring along their own hive, transfer as you inspect. Option to call back next morning after they are closed in to take away. Or take the hive to new site and transfer to new hive before returning old.
I've done both and it was fine apart from one guy with WBC hives and deciding what frame to remove.

Latest posts

Back