Defective Gas Vap Burner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What a useless piece of equipment! I bought it with my brand new GasVap 18months ago and it's been playing up from day one. Despite filling it there's barely a flame on it which is totally inadequate to carry out it's purpose of heating the Oxalic. Has anyone else had problems with theirs? What a waste of money. You think they'd have made sure they were reliable! I use the cigarette lighter fuel.

Can these be serviced or repaired?
20231224_162707.jpg

I'm using the yellow gas refills that you can see in the photo via the small nozzle underneath the burner.

With the upside-down burner underneath?
Does the burner feel cold after filling?
I presume the refill is butane?
Have the blowtorch upside down and use the refill canister on top, so you fill downwards. Hope that makes sense. Works for me.

With the upside-down burner underneath?
Does the burner feel cold after filling?
I presume the refill is butane?
Yes the burner does feel cold when I fill it which I thought was reassuring, but it still gives a pathetic looking flame! And a tes for the fuel, it is Butane to. Frustrating! I'm wondering if it needs a slight clean or service but don't know if this is possible?
Thank you for the reply.

Have the blowtorch upside down and use the refill canister on top, so you fill downwards. Hope that makes sense. Works for me.
I'll try again in the morning, but am certain I've filled it all ways to no avail.

I have had two of the better higher priced burners and have been disappointed by both of them. If the flow of gas was poor on the one, the other had a failed piezo crystal although it would light with a lighter but not the most useful on a windy day. I used it also for lighting the smoker.

My blowtorch has an air inlet adjustment & the hole needs to be fully open to get the best flame. The ring that adjusts the air inlet does rotate so needs to be wedged open.

My blowtorch has an air inlet adjustment & the hole needs to be fully open to get the best flame. The ring that adjusts the air inlet does rotate so needs to be

My blowtorch has an air inlet adjustment & the hole needs to be fully open to get the best flame. The ring that adjusts the air inlet does rotate so needs to be wedged open.
Is yours the same as mine?

What a useless piece of equipment! I bought it with my brand new GasVap 18months ago and it's been playing up from day one. Despite filling it there's barely a flame on it which is totally inadequate to carry out it's purpose of heating the Oxalic. Has anyone else had problems with theirs? What a waste of money. You think they'd have made sure they were reliable! I use the cigarette lighter fuel.

Can these be serviced or repaired?
View attachment 38438
18 months ago is too late to sensibly expect a supplier to swap it now but the design purpose of those blow lamps is to singe meringue. Did you buy it as part of the gas vap kit or separately from eBay etc? All gas blowlamp burners are simply variations on a Bunsen burner so they have a gas valve which turns the supply of gas on, up / down or off. There's also an air inlet which can be opened up or closed down to give a short hard flame or a long, soft and sooty flame. By adjustments of gas and air and provided there's sufficient gas in the canister there's not much to go wrong. Remember though Butane doesn't vapourise easily on cold days. Hold the canister in your bare hand for a while to warm it and the contents up so the butane insíde is a pressurized gas.
The early models of gas vap were a bit problematic as the slots where the flame impinged on the heated chamber were a bít small and created back pressure causing the flame to be unstable. I opened mine up with a Dremel tool which sorted matters. Since then I've played about with the design a bit and tried a cartridge gas blowlamp. I posted about this a few months ago with photos of one iteration.

18 months ago is too late to sensibly expect a supplier to swap it now but the design purpose of those blow lamps is to singe meringue. Did you buy it as part of the gas vap kit or separately from eBay etc? All gas blowlamp burners are simply variations on a Bunsen burner so they have a gas valve which turns the supply of gas on, up / down or off. There's also an air inlet which can be opened up or closed down to give a short hard flame or a long, soft and sooty flame. By adjustments of gas and air and provided there's sufficient gas in the canister there's not much to go wrong. Remember though Butane doesn't vapourise easily on cold days. Hold the canister in your bare hand for a while to warm it and the contents up so the butane insíde is a pressurized gas.
The early models of gas vap were a bit problematic as the slots where the flame impinged on the heated chamber were a bít small and created back pressure causing the flame to be unstable. I opened mine up with a Dremel tool which sorted matters. Since then I've played about with the design a bit and tried a cartridge gas blowlamp. I posted about this a few months ago with photos of one iteration.
Thank you for your reply. I bought it with the GasVap and its not been good from the beginning.

I've been researching and I may have some hope if this type of burner which I bought with the Gas Vap,20231225_002724.jpg has a flame adjuster at the bottom?
I've looked at the base of it and hope this is the adjuster as can be seen in the attached photo.

I bought the same gas vape and torch at the same time at the honey show , i used it for the first time a few days ago and it worked okay,time will tell if continues to work .Hope you manage to get it sorted with the advice on here ,
John.

I had the same problem. Tip it upside down and press the inlet value with a small screwdriver and let the air out. Tip the gas canister upside down and place it on the cap and leave for 15mins and without shacking it fill the lighter. It will work fine. If not watch YouTube under jewellery blow torch help.

Just been into garage, checked mine slightly different to yours,with the red safety attachment on the gas control, also attached photos of the instructions with their email address if you wish to communicate with them .but I think Gary Rigby post may well sort it and I will bookmark it in case I have problems
John

Attachments

• 20231225_135238.jpg
    20231225_135238.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231225_135300.jpg
    20231225_135300.jpg
  • 20231225_135238.jpg
    20231225_135238.jpg
  • 20231225_135218.jpg