Beeks not in Associations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I look at it attendance at my BKA meetings and apiary is not obligatory. My membership costs £20 for Stan and me and that I consider a fair price for my Insurance which is all I get from it.
My nfu small holders liability insurance covers hobbies including my bees and my archery

I am a member of North Staffs BKA. I attend meeting and try to help in my small way with the admin.
Far more enjoyable is training beginners at Association Apiary and mentoring newcomers.
Always meeting new and interesting people and the enthusiasm of beginners is uplifting and enjoyable.

I trained that way and with this forum : the combination has been great fun. But nothing beats hands on experience from an expert with a mind open to new ideas. (No I am not one but was taught by one).

We are fortunate having a mix of membership across a wide range of ages and social classes so cliques rarely form.

Yes as you say it is a division of WSBKA, I still refer to it as my LBKA because for many many years it was a stand alone BKA (when I joined) under it's old guise of HCBKA . Back in the day it had a massive falling out with WSBKA main committee and individuals and internal politics apparently became so bad that it became impossible for either to exist amicably.
However certain parties of the older generation either left or became non influential in the BKA so repatriation resumed.

Yes I'm a member of WSBKA as well - West Suffolk in my case. Most enjoyable is our annual safari: visiting maybe six apiaries with a leader (usually SBI) with a picnic lunch half way.

In my case West Sx & not West Sfk. But then again thought Suffolk was a singular County unlike Sx.

Most beek terms can be easily worked out using 2 or 3 letter acronyms and nearly all are pretty much specific in there meaning. Some countries use variations esp the yanks which I find harder to follow/work out.

Latest posts

Back