Beeks not in Associations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
I was reading a now closed Thread and it made me remember a conversation with a Bee Inspector here in Northern Ireland, he said that the UBKA has about 850 members, but in his opinion there were an additional 750 beekeepers NOT members of any of the Northern Ireland Associations... 1600 beeks in total ! ! ! mmmm....... I would trust his assessment, especially as he has access to information not available to beekeepers (they're very strict about Data Protection, very..)

I have limited knowledge of beekeeping in the South (Rep. of Ireland) or on the island of Britain, but what is the opinion (what are you basing your opinion on??) of the members on this forum, of how many beeks are not members of Associations in Ireland (the country) and Britain (the island)?

Just wondering?

I know of three beekeepers locally not members of any Association. Pro-rated, that would give 600 in North Staffs.(But many members would not perhaps know anything like that if any at all)
Prorated to BBKA membership (NStaffs has 200) that would give c130x600=78,000. (BBKA membership c28,000)

I would say that is a gross exaggeration

On my allotment site there have been two failed attempts at beekeeping by plot holders who didn't join an association, there's also a long term beekeeper who isn't in an association either and she's completely inept with her hives being essentially unmanaged but inhabited stacks of supers and brood boxes (one doesn't even have a floor) and her area littered with unclean equipment and old comb left out in the open - some of it's been there for years. :confused:

On my allotment...area littered with unclean equipment and old comb left out in the open - some of it's been there for years. :confused:
mmm, ... which could be a source for disease, etc.

the conversation was in the context of 'Do you guys have a PLAN that will be put into action when SHB arrives here', essentially it was a yes, but it included visiting all the hives in an area... which would require all beeks to be registered with the Inspector, etc.

My mentor wasn't, he started with the bbka but got pissed at them not surprising really.
He has now retired and is selling his colonys off.
I know my grandad wasn't, and I can think of a handful of beeks that aren't.
The beeks I know are tidy enough it sounds like some are not.

Edit: there must be reasons why they aren't members of an association.??

As if!! Even now they are to stuck in there ways.
I myself wonder why I joined, if there is so many beeks not in an association there is more hives out there that are possibly abandoned... My thread about abandoned hives comes to mind.

I think it is generally assumed that only abut 10% of UK beeks are members of the BBKA, if my local assoc accepted non members at a reduced rate I wouldn't bother being a BBKA member.
I think I will investigate and see if I can stir things up a bit :D.

I think it is generally assumed that only abut 10% of UK beeks are members of the BBKA, if my local assoc accepted non members at a reduced rate I wouldn't bother being a BBKA member.
I think I will investigate and see if I can stir things up a bit :D.
Sounds like fun :laughing-smiley-004:nature-smiley-016:

I am no longer a member of any association. Wales has no clue about data protection and BBKA doesn't respond to my requests for contact details!
well they're unlikely to share personal data with any old Tom, Dick or Harry

Last time I spoke to a SBI from my village I asked her how many beeks were in the immediate area and she said only her and me were registered on BEEBASE. We both knew of 3 others within about a mile.

.........snip.............I myself wonder why I joined, if there is so many beeks not in an association there is more hives out there that are possibly abandoned...snip....
I think it is generally assumed that only abut 10% of UK beeks are members of the BBKA, if my local assoc accepted non members at a reduced rate I wouldn't bother being a BBKA member....snip....
I joined my local association just a way of meeting other keepers in the area, it had nothing to do with being a member of any national BKA. I did subsequently join the Scottish Beekeepers Association for other reasons, had I lived in england its safe to say that I would not have joined. I joined this forum because it was independent of any affiliations and fixed ideas.

There are six beekeepers in our parish. Four are members (me and three ex-mentees). Two are reclusive and I don't know their status.

Insurance? Comes with membership. There is both good and bad but same as any organisation, you always find those who need to be in charge. Manage to ignore that type and you will find some decent people. I know quite a few who let membership lapse because the association offers nothing

Latest posts

Back