BeeWatch crowdfunding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Has anybody heard of this lot currently crowdfunding?

http://www.bee.watch/

This is from them.
Many thanks for your response. We are currently in discussions with both the BBKA and local beekeeping associations who really like what we are trying to do and we have had a meeting with a BBKA trustee who wants to assist beeWatch anyway he can. We are members of the BBKA and our local association and we are not trying to step on anyone’s toes but simply to help beekeepers.

The problem is the National Bee Unit is heavily under funded, we have sent dead bee samples off 3 separate times for testing and have yet to be told why they died. One sample they said they had lost and the other they made 2 judgements based on a photograph and have yet to test chemically for pesticides. In summary, the NBU should be receiving a lot more funding for the great work they do.

In regards to swarm collections, our system would make it easier for swarm collectors who will simply receive notifications and they can choose to collect or not. Additionally, the BBKA website states 75% of calls about swarms turn out to be different insects and therefore when someone sees a swarm, using our system they can send an instant photo and address to all local swarm collectors, and so they will not be misguided. The swarm collectors will receive a lot more notifications about swarms if beeWatch was successful.

In terms of data collection, the benefit of beeWatch is that it will be real-time instant data. A high number of beekeepers are not registered and we want all beekeepers to be registered as the data would be invaluable. As you mentioned current data collections and surveys occur yearly, whereas, we want to provide data year round so we can see; where most colonies are being reported lost, where most swarms are discovered and who is keeping bees. We can use pesticide usage maps to determine whether they match regions of most colony losses which would be a very useful study. Beekeepers could also benefit from using beeWatch to keep quick and easy photographic records of their treatments and findings within their apiary.

I hope this is of interest to you, our ultimate aim is to protect the honeybee and collect data that is currently non existent

Has anybody heard of this lot currently crowdfunding?

http://www.bee.watch/

This is from them.
Many thanks for your response. We are currently in discussions with both the BBKA and local beekeeping associations who really like what we are trying to do and we have had a meeting with a BBKA trustee who wants to assist beeWatch anyway he can. We are members of the BBKA and our local association and we are not trying to step on anyone’s toes but simply to help beekeepers.

Propper beekeeperers then!

The problem is the National Bee Unit is heavily under funded, we have sent dead bee samples off 3 separate times for testing and have yet to be told why they died. One sample they said they had lost and the other they made 2 judgements based on a photograph and have yet to test chemically for pesticides. In summary, the NBU should be receiving a lot more funding for the great work they do.

Or use the ££££s funding they get more effectively!

In regards to swarm collections, our system would make it easier for swarm collectors who will simply receive notifications and they can choose to collect or not. Additionally, the BBKA website states 75% of calls about swarms turn out to be different insects and therefore when someone sees a swarm, using our system they can send an instant photo and address to all local swarm collectors, and so they will not be misguided. The swarm collectors will receive a lot more notifications about swarms if beeWatch was successful.
Will cause even more chaos!

In terms of data collection, the benefit of beeWatch is that it will be real-time instant data. A high number of beekeepers are not registered and we want all beekeepers to be registered as the data would be invaluable. As you mentioned current data collections and surveys occur yearly, whereas, we want to provide data year round so we can see; where most colonies are being reported lost, where most swarms are discovered and who is keeping bees. We can use pesticide usage maps to determine whether they match regions of most colony losses which would be a very useful study. Beekeepers could also benefit from using beeWatch to keep quick and easy photographic records of their treatments and findings within their apiary.
Great idea... perhaps all these beekeepers could pay a fee to the BBKA

I hope this is of interest to you, our ultimate aim is to protect the honeybee and collect data that is currently non existent

:sorry: this lot will probably get funding and create another Quango.... probably a few more MBEs too!!!:hairpull:

Nos da

It seems like there is another scheme every 5 minutes...all asking for money. I am reminded of the old saying "Wherever there is a scheme, there's a schemer".

Surprised they were not offering free flowhives to all who sign up!:icon_204-2:

Nos da

Note all the tear jerking factoids.

Frankly a crock of shi*

PH

I thought BeeWatch is the app that was launched in December which linked beekeepers and pesticide users. A bit confusing to come along with the same name and something that is trying to be all things to beekeepers and will just add to what is already a very confused system.

I don't post often but i do frequently look through the posts .. my conclusion is this site has a few of self styled experts who use it to "slag off" or be "abusive about" things they know little about .. maybe its an ego thing. Thanks to Eric for at least researching what we are trying to achieve.

I like the idea of real time pictures of swarms....but perhaps a tweak in allowing first + responder the swarm?....I can imagine frayed tempers if several bee keepers all turn up for the same swarm.

Hi

Exactly right. the way the system works is this.
1) Anyone with the app can create a swarm notification. This could be a farmer, pest control company, allotment holder, grounds maintenance company .. anyone who comes across a swarm.
2) Anyone local registered on the system as a swarm collector will get a notification on their phone. We all know that we need to respond quickly.
3) The first Swarm Collector to confirms they are on their way locks out everyone else.
4) They are also required by the system to check back and confirm if the collection was successful.
But it does not end there. This is what we have in work at the moment.
Most BBKA’s have a person responsible for Swarms so we have included what we call the Swarm Agent. Any swarm collected by a member of their team will be recorded on the system and the Swarm agent will be able to monitor numbers of swarms, locations on maps, who collected them and any other details we can add in that creates useful data.
We could even hold a list of members who are not collectors but would like a swarm so they could be delivered immediately.
What else would you like to know?

I don't post often but i do frequently look through the posts .. my conclusion is this site has a few of self styled experts who use it to "slag off" or be "abusive about" things they know little about .. maybe its an ego thing. Thanks to Eric for at least researching what we are trying to achieve.

Well - I've looked at your site and I watched the embedded video ... and I'm not sure what you are actually offering. I applaud any attempt to bring beekeeping and the plight of our pollinators to the attention of the public but ...

There are a few emotive words that keep getting to the media which are, frankly, of dubious veracity:

Our bees are in trouble ... well, actually, honey bees are not really in that much trouble - the reduction in colony numbers since the 1950's has a number of explanations - not least of which is the fact that the wartime needs of the 1940's were no more and changes in lifestyle left beekeeping as very much a niche hobby.

Colonies are dying - some are, some aren't ... it's not a general problem - there are certainly pressures on our bees from parasites, imported predators, diseases such as CBPV, varroa vectored diseases, the use of pesticides and the loss of our natural enviroments - but I worry more about the non-sprayed Neonics than I do about sprayed pesticides and I think the ever increasing pressure on farming to maximise crops at the expense of our field margins and flower meadows are destroying the lowest levels of natures food chain and reducing pollinator habitat.

Colony Collapse Disorder - Not in the UK as far as I know.

I go to quite a few public events to talk about bees and beekeeping and the above are the phrases I hear frequently from Joe Public - and we have to be very careful that these misconceptions are not overriding the work of what I see as an active and generally burgeoning beekeeping world. We can use young blood in the craft but I see some people being put off from keeping bees because of all the negatives that are bandied about. I know beekeeping is not easy but let's not make it sound more difficult than it is.

As for yet another app ... I regret to say I think you will struggle - from my perspective we already have Beebase - which does not attract 100% of beekeepers despite the obvious benefits. My local assoclation has a swarm co-ordinator and a network of collectors - all based locally. We have a spray liaison officer who keeps in touch with local farmers with regard to crop spraying and disseminates information. We have the BBKA - which, whilst still not really doing the best they can, is still our national organisation. Whilst not wishing to disparage your efforts I just wonder whether you are muddying the waters rather than clarifying them ?

Where is your USP ? What is it that you hope to achieve that is potentially better than we have now or able to replace it ?

Hi thanks

2016 we managed 140 lb honey, 2017 we eliminated wax moth and dramaticslly reduced varroa and produced 850lb but lost 7 big colonies overnight. The CEH in Wallingford lost all 10 of their hives in 2016/17 so it looks like we are in a hot spot for problems.
We just need to find out what is going on and then develop ways of dealing with it.

Well put.

Like Beebase any system like this is flawed as it is voluntary. Beebase is there to notify beekeepers if spraying and as the recent thread said in the last 2-3 years, not one person on this forum has received a single notification.

The market for investors is small and the rewards need to be demonstrated don’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi
I wasn't expecting such a reaction .. i am sure all coments are very relevant to eveyone's local area .. in 2016 we are aware of 46 hive losses in our area, two very experienced bee keepers did a report on it. 80% of the land round us is sprayed .. and when you see a pile of dead bees outside a double national with three supers, in mid April, and very few left inside, in 36 hours .. five times .. then the same thing in November .. twice .. i think there might be a problem rond here .. call it ccd or what ever you like.

Hi
I wasn't expecting such a reaction .. i am sure all coments are very relevant to eveyone's local area .. in 2016 we are aware of 46 hive losses in our area, two very experienced bee keepers did a report on it. 80% of the land round us is sprayed .. and when you see a pile of dead bees outside a double national with three supers, in mid April, and very few left inside, in 36 hours .. five times .. then the same thing in November .. twice .. i think there might be a problem rond here .. call it ccd or what ever you like.

Did Beebase notify of the spraying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi

Exactly right. the way the system works is this.
1) Anyone with the app can create a swarm notification.
What else would you like to know?

What about those without the app?

...... so it looks like we are in a hot spot for problems.
We just need to find out what is going on and then develop ways of dealing with it.

I think this is the issue .. whilst there are, clearly, fairly global problems facing our honey bees it is not just these that affect colonies but what is happening at a local level ... and from what I've seen at times it's often the beekeeper as much as the environment (and I'm not suggesting that you are in any way a bad beekeeper).

There are so many factors that can affect our colonies that it really is a process of elimination to detemine why, when you start to lose high percentages of your colonies.

The loss of 7 big colonies overnight (and at the same time ?) would be a disaster for any small beekeeping operation and I would be moving heaven and earth to find out why... Were there no clues ...

I posed as I did for the following reasons.

ASFAIK honey bees are doing fine and as said there are very good historical reasons for the past drop in numbers, in short be havers giving up due to OSR and Varroa.

The emotive pic of sprays and the mention of CCD. There are currently no institutions in the States looking at this topic. That should drop a penny or two.

Not every spray by a long chalk is harmful to bees as many are fertlisers.

Some Bee Farmers no longer shut in bees for spraying.

A simple contact between a person interested in swarm collection and the local authority works perfectly well. No need for an ap or the BBKA or Uncle Tom Cobly either.

KISS

PH

Back