BeeWatch crowdfunding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was if you charge the sprayers they won’t sign up. I suspect Beebase doesn’t send notifications because their is no uptake of their free and funded service by sprayers. Why would they pay to notify bee watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Farmers are just as unlikely to inform beekeepers that they are going to spray insecticides utilising this " new" app than they are to inform Defra / Beebase / Beefarmers /spray liaison officers et al that exist as of now and the last 30 years or so... in fact the post for spray liaison officer within Cornwall BKA has been vacant for some years!

On the only occasion I took bees to an orchard for pollination ( In Surrey Sussex boarders some years ago) the farmer only sprayed the trees once the bees had done their pollination and the fruit had set... bees had been removed from vicinity of spraying some weeks before... the *icide they used is probably banned now!!

Mytten da

I can see where your idea came from ... as a sales and marketing person I've been presented with many 'great' ideas that came about as a result of someone facing a personal difficulty ... without being too negative about what you are proposing you should really consider what you envisage in the wider context of the market place and the potential 'clients' you wish to attract.

Getting any group of beekeepers to join together to achieve a greater good is nigh impossible from what I have seen ... getting people to subscribe to an App may be equally challenging - particularly as some of the perceived benefits are, or at least appear, to be solving very localised problems.

Whilst the numbers of swarms collected or the incidence of crop spraying may be collatable statistics they are only going to be valid if they encompass the whole of the pie. Piecemeal information would be of little or no benefit - indeed - even if we had the whole picture and every beekeeper subscribed - is the information it provides of any real importance or significance to beekeepers at ground level ? To an academic, perhaps, but what would they be able to tell from it that we don't already have some idea about. Even if you could demonstrate that crop spraying is anathema to our honey bees - you would be hard pushed to change our farming ways unless there was a viable alternative. Bear in mind that, in me, you are preaching to the converted in terms of natural agriculture and animal husbandry - think what an uphill battle it would be for those who are less concerned.

I can see the benefit of a national swarm collection scheme but - don't we already have this covered via the BBKA and local associations ?... Most swarms get collected but even if they don't - the bees find somewhere to live, it's not a loss.

The BBKA and local associations could be more joined up - I'm not a great fan of the BBKA but they are there, established and with some good intentions. They have a swarm collectors page on their website, I put in my postcode and I get 19 swarm collectors within a 10 mile radius, with contact telephone numbers - there is guidance on there to enable/assist Joe Public to identify honeybees - it could be better but, if I was a non beekeeper that had a swarm that needed attention, I think I would be phoning the nearest collector rather than posting a request on an App ... but perhaps I'm the odd one out ?

Be very careful that you are not investing time and potentially money in a good idea that nobody (apart from you) wants or more importantly needs.

To quote a well worn phrase from Dragons Den ... I won't be investing and I'm out ... sorry.
Hi .. Yes I am in Sales and marketing as well .. Hi ..
You can see on the web site how simple the spray alert is, the swarm notification is the same, Swarm co-coordinators get a real time status on the progress of any notified swarm straight to their computer or tablet … and no we don’t have a national system, just a very fragmented one ranging from excellent to non-existent.
The bbka scheme launched this year is a great improvement in passing on the leads but it still leaves the person reporting the swarm to chase round and find someone, we put the notification straight to all local swarm collector instantly.
You had two choices .. you could have said .. “I don’t think it will work, but I hope it does so to give it a chance a small donation is worth the risk.”.

Hi ..
The bbka scheme launched this year is a great improvement in passing on the leads but it still leaves the person reporting the swarm to chase round and find someone, we put the notification straight to all local swarm collector instantly.

And in the real world , what use is that? NONE

Why? Because no swarm collector in his/her right mind is going to act on it IF they KNOW others might act as well.. SO then you need some co-ordination to prevent duplication of effort..(currently this is done locally).

I am a local collector and frankly the thought of being bombarded with general emails that I cannot act on as someone else is going to -or not- is a total turnoff. (30 emails a week in high season? Forget it)

This is such a basic - and obvious - flaw, it suggests the system is designed in ignorance of the real world..

I thought BeeWatch is the app that was launched in December which linked beekeepers and pesticide users. A bit confusing to come along with the same name and something that is trying to be all things to beekeepers and will just add to what is already a very confused system.

Are you thinking of the pesticide industry backed https://beeconnected.org.uk/?

Welcome to BeeConnected – bringing farmers and beekeepers together, and keeping beekeepers notified when a neighbouring farmer is applying insecticides to their crops.

I'm sorry to say that most farmers that are spraying are not growing crops that need pollination by bees so why would they want to sign up to an app that will cost them money. Others that are growing crops that need bees already tend to be pretty switched on as it is in their interest. the swarm collection service in my area already works pretty well. All the best with your venture but I for one won't be signing up.

And in the real world , what use is that? NONE

Why? Because no swarm collector in his/her right mind is going to act on it IF they KNOW others might act as well.. SO then you need some co-ordination to prevent duplication of effort..(currently this is done locally).

I am a local collector and frankly the thought of being bombarded with general emails that I cannot act on as someone else is going to -or not- is a total turnoff. (30 emails a week in high season? Forget it)

This is such a basic - and obvious - flaw, it suggests the system is designed in ignorance of the real world..
... we also send a date and time stamped pictue of the swarm with the notification ... and, when a swarm colloector nominates to collect it, on the app .. no one else can .. and the local swarm organiser has access to a map showing who is collecting what swarms .. and what was the outcome .. any other ideas on what would be useful??

everyone needd to stop blaming just farmers .. golf courses, grounds maintenance companies, domestic users, alotments, country house hotels , pest control companies, garden centres, ebay and amazon, homebase .. are all selling and/or using pesticides, some of which farmers are banned from using. The Academy golf course at Stoke Poges went bust so the local council are truning it into a parkland. They have been advised by the Environment agency to strip and landfill the topsoil from all the fairways because it is so contaminated. Likewise an alotment near to the River Chess.

any one know where we can get bee samples tested for pesticide residues? please don't tell me any of these we have tried

Natural England and the Bee Unit (Animal and Plant Health Agency) and they don’t know other than FERA, the Defra agency that gave us a cost of approximately £1000.
Reading University told us to contact CEH in Wallingford but we never get a response from them
Surrey University gave us names of companies in Germany and the USA
Harper Adams University have not responded.
ASL Global offered to do testing then when they found out why we wanted a test they declined.

Just a small thing but FERA Science Ltd is not a DEFRA agency anymore. Sold off. It's a private concern part-owned by Capita and a small part by DEFRA.

It's not cost effective for labs to offer the testing you want, especially at Universities. The rest will charge a pretty penny as you found out.

Equipment, consumables and skilled scientists cost money and unless they are churning through hundreds of bees a day it is not feasible.

SASA (scotgov) do pesticide tests up in Scotland for beekeepers I believe.

Latest posts

Back