Is this a sign of things to come ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And a big club to fend off any pedantic twits that I come across . . . . ;-)

PS
Was looking forward to Margaery atoning for her sins. Oh well.

Last edited:
I really give up on this website.

Why does it attract such idiots. I only joined 5 years ago and it has changed beyond recognition very much in the worse way aswell.

I don't know why I bother to even look anymore. I don't post so much as the so called new bee experts shoot you down even though they they haven't got a friggin clue and tend to be wrong. So as I don't post and help why do I come on?

Maybe one of the idiots will give me the answer I am looking for.

Why does it attract such idiots. I only joined 5 years ago and it has changed beyond recognition very much in the worse way aswell.

I don't know why I bother to even look anymore. I don't post so much as the so called new bee experts shoot you down even though they they haven't got a friggin clue and tend to be wrong. So as I don't post and help why do I come on?

I just filter stuff I don't like as I read it, not getting dragged into stuff makes the Internet far more relaxing.

As a fully paid-up idiot I can certainly try.

Maybe the question is more a case of does one have to be a pedantic old fart to be a beekeeper or do all beekeepers become pedantic old farts?

As a fully paid-up idiot I can certainly try.

Maybe the question is more a case of does one have to be a pedantic old fart to be a beekeeper or do all beekeepers become pedantic old farts?

Actually the question should be.

Why don't new beekeepers listen when they are given good advice. Instead of thinking they know everything even if they have only kept bees for less than a year.

I don't think I will bother giving advice anymore on the main fora. I think its time to only give advice if asked personally either by PM or txt by people I know and know I can ask advice of when I need it, as I already do.

Last edited:
My worry is also the hives that look to the average punter like they require no effort e.g. the flow hive.

If people start keeping bees not realizing they need regular tending and knowledge these colonies could start acting as typhoid Marys and taint us all.

BTW, I wouldn't mind a small licencing fee.

honeybees don't need any tending at all if you don't mind what they do...:)

When the regional inspector was asked if they had found wild/feral swarms to be a pathogen source the answer was no.

The patterns of infections, transmission and reinfection for EFB indicated kept colonies. The patterns for AFB indicated contaminated honey.

Could it be because it is almost invariably conflicted?

Easy really, use the search function for all your questions and before long a few very knowledgeable forum members become apparent. Follow their advice and you won't go far wrong.
As for grumpy pedants I prefer to think of it as people who have a passion for their hobby.

Just skimmed through the thread and sort of understand the anger about people like me not really knowing much about bees and buying few nucs. Is there really any harm in this. The way I see it, if there wasn't so much demand for bees then beekeepers wouldn't need to make so many nucs. Now that there's a demand, the nucs get made, some mess up and others don't. Is it really effecting the bee population. I don't think so because the good beekeepers will still be doing what their doing and us headers will either stick at it or give up. I can't see a problem with this! And don't for one min try and give me ballix like 'O what about the varora mite or efb etc..'

Last edited:
Just skimmed through the thread and sort of understand the anger about people like me not really knowing much about bees and buying few nucs. Is there really any harm in this. The way I see it, if there wasn't so much demand for bees then beekeepers wouldn't need to make so many nucs. Now that there's a demand, the nucs get made, some mess up and others don't. Is it really effecting the bee population. I don't think so because the good beekeepers will still be doing what their doing and us headers will either stick at it or give up. I can't see a problem with this! And don't for one min try and give me ballix like 'O what about the varora mite or efb etc..'

What do us beekeepers do with all the damn swarms that are coming now. Due to new beekeepers of a certain type thinking its ok to let them swarm all over the place.

I'm lucky I can house 20, already gone past 10 in the last week, and I know my BKA is now struggling to deal with them as no one has any more spare kit.

If things continue I'm going to have to start high rising them with upto 3 swarms in each hive.

Last edited:
What do us beekeepers do with all the damn swarms that are coming now. Due to new beekeepers of a certain type thinking its ok to let them swarm all over the place.

I'm lucky I can house 20, already gone past 10 in the last week, and I know my BKA is now struggling to deal with them as no one has any more spare kit.

If things continue I'm going to have to start high rising them with upto 3 swarms in each hive.

I can take a couple . . . . .

Well, it is a cheap way of replacing winter losses for established beeks as they are on the swarm lists and the newbies are not.

Just skimmed through the thread and sort of understand the anger about people like me not really knowing much about bees and buying few nucs. Is there really any harm in this. The way I see it, if there wasn't so much demand for bees then beekeepers wouldn't need to make so many nucs. Now that there's a demand, the nucs get made, some mess up and others don't. Is it really effecting the bee population. I don't think so because the good beekeepers will still be doing what their doing and us headers will either stick at it or give up. I can't see a problem with this! And don't for e min try and give me ballix like 'O what about the varora mite or efb etc..'

I think you have missed the point of most of what has been posted ... the rant was more about people who prey on the gullible and provide them with bad advice, at vast cost whilst encouraging them to become beekeepers without the knowledge to understand what they are getting into ... and leaving them without any support when it all goes belly up !

Actually the question should be.

Why don't new beekeepers listen when they are given good advice. Instead of thinking they know everything even if they have only kept bees for less than a year.

I don't think I will bother giving advice anymore on the main fora. I think its time to only give advice if asked personally either by PM or txt by people I know and know I can ask advice of when I need it, as I already do.

They usually end up eating their own words after reality sets in

sorry only to members of my BKA.

Ok I am with the CSBKA so if it gets too serious let me know.

We have had some serious losses amongst our members and aren't keeping up at the moment.

Last edited:
They usually end up eating their own words after reality sets in

Well as one of these new beeks I can say it's a steep learning curve and seems to me it never stops, if all the opinions on here on just about every subject is anything to go by.

There are two kinds of beekeepers, those who have bad backs, and those who will have bad backs. All of them love to argue.

New beekeepers need guidance, not to be discouraged. What if a beginner reads this thread? What impression will he have of this forum? Will he be encouraged to ask questions?

I started the hard way cutting colonies out of walls and trees and sometimes catching swarms. I was fortunate to have access to a professional queen breeder who was willing to spend some time with a newbie. Over time, I learned to manage bees for honey production. This implies a lot more because bees have to live through midsummer, fall, winter, spring, and then get back to late spring to make a crop of honey. I read books voraciously, subscribed to magazines and read them, learned to produce my own queens, and learned to intervene in my colonies only when it is necessary. I am working with 3 local beeginners. One is 4 years in and turning into a decent beekeeper and honey producer. One is 2 years in and still learning how to manage swarming. One just got a colony this year and is learning to build equipment.

There are two kinds of beekeepers, those who have bad backs, and those who will have bad backs. All of them love to argue.

New beekeepers need guidance, not to be discouraged. What if a beginner reads this thread? What impression will he have of this forum? Will he be encouraged to ask questions?

You gotta be thick-skinned to be a beek around here. :)

Latest posts

Back